Voron Trident 350 extremely slow build

mbunjes

I haven't needed that kind of heat soak, though granted mine is a 250 not a giant 350.

I will assume your flex plate is brand new? I had trouble with some new flex plates on mine. I ended up having to go as far as lightly running 600 grit sandpaper over a couple of them to get any kind of adhesion.

First step is the warm water & dish soap clean. Then a light scrub with a brillo pad, then to the sandpaper if it still isn't sticking.

• Like 1

I would expect this to be under the bed_heater section but what do I know.

Ah, I hadn't seen the latest comment yet. Yes the plate is brand new but I'm using an older one (only very lightly used) I did a wash and scrub but havent tried printing yet.
Since the Klicky sounds so awesome I've ordered the parts.

Edited by mbunjes

2 hours ago, mbunjes said:

would expect this to be under the bed_heater section but what do I know.

Actually it's cause it's generic/customizable. You can throw a "gcode:" stanza into the idle_timeout definition and have it execute the designated gcode at the timeout - so basically you can turn off more than just the heated bed after x idle seconds.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, smirk said:

Actually it's cause it's generic/customizable. You can throw a "gcode:" stanza into the idle_timeout definition and have it execute the designated gcode at the timeout - so basically you can turn off more than just the heated bed after x idle seconds.

😲🤦‍♂️I learned something today! It never occurred to me to even look at idle_timeout much less throw some gcode under there. I have a whole Rube Goldberg style setup to have my NeoPixels shut off after a timeout time. This would probably be an easier method.

On 11/5/2022 at 12:02 AM, claudermilk said:

I haven't needed that kind of heat soak, though granted mine is a 250 not a giant 350.

On my 300, I normally do a 30 min heat soak and seems to work well, with consistent results

On 11/5/2022 at 3:31 AM, smirk said:

I love this forum - something to learn everyday. And as @claudermilkas not aware of this. Thank you @smirk

18 hours ago, smirk said:

Likewise, I learned that Rube Goldberg is the equivalent of "our" Heath Robinson

Likewise, I learned who Rube Goldberg and Heath Robinson are.

Since I know this forum loves gadgets and especially jigs, let me show you what I found and immediately printed. (no, not on the Voron yet. Getting there though)

It's a jig for measuring filament for e-steps calibration.

IMG_20221106_141639.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, smirk said:

Likewise, I learned that Rube Goldberg is the equivalent of "our" Heath Robinson 🤣. Every day is a school day!

You mean there were TWO of those maniacs? 🤣

1 hour ago, mbunjes said:

Likewise, I learned who Rube Goldberg and Heath Robinson are.

Since I know this forum loves gadgets and especially jigs, let me show you what I found and immediately printed. (no, not on the Voron yet. Getting there though)

It's a jig for measuring filament for e-steps calibration.

IMG_20221106_141639.jpg

Ooo! A jig! I'll have to mention to Steve on his stream today! He loves jigs! 😁

• Like 1

Still trying. I've sliced a cube in Superslicer, imported it in Mainsail, clicked print.
Hot end and heater warm up nicely, the printer homes, does a Z_tilt_adjust , homes again and stops.

No print.

What am I doing wrong ?

I am a total newbie in Superslicer

Perhaps post the generated gcode file and someone here could give it a go or have a quick look through. If there's no errors appearing the the logs (movement out of range, etc), I might being daft but a quick sanity check to make sure there is a print in the file (beyond the gcode startup). I have have occasionally seen when I've muffed up the startup gcode (and perhaps have not changed to absolute addressing) the printer refuses to printer/extrude filament but there's always been a definite error about movement being out of range (or words to that effect - haven't had the issue for a while).

4 minutes ago, mvdveer said:

Currently at work

I was about to say it's night! You fighting crime? Then I realised the time-difference 🤪 Anyway, stop goofing off and reading the interweb - get back to work!

@mbunjes well plus point there is a cube in that file and it is using absolute positioning (G90). Will have to give it a go printing.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, mbunjes said:

Ok, here it is . I realize there's only three people following this build but maybe some light can be shed

The Prusa Gcode Viewer fails to even open the file and returns:

Invalid value provided for parameter extrusion_width:

Checking the gcode it gives six different values

; external perimeters extrusion width = 0.40mm
; perimeters extrusion width = 0.48mm
; infill extrusion width = 0.72mm
; solid infill extrusion width = 0.56mm
; top infill extrusion width = 0.40mm
; first layer extrusion width = 0.48mm

The format for these is the same as in my working gcode. The 0.72mm seems a little much but even if I change everything to 0.40mm it still spits out the same error.

I decided to leave Superslicer for the moment, too many unknown factors. I finally managed to get a consistent Z-offset so I sliced the cube in Cura and behold : it prints !

It all went well for the first 10 or 15 layers but then things started to deteriorate quite badly. I don't know whether this is due to pretty old filament or other settings but I feel I made some major steps here.

IMG_20221107_110127.jpg

• Confused 1

"Hoorah, it prints?" I have to confess I hate diagnosing horrible print issues like this mainly because you get every piece of conflicting advice under the sun "Print speed too high; Print speed too low; layer height too high; layer height too low" etc.

I guess even well stored (vacuum packed) filament ages. I presume the plastics are full of lovely volatile chemicals that just dissappate//boil-off/break-down over time to change fundamental properties of the plastic.

On the basis everyhing is new (and quality) it can't be a shonky nozzle or one damaged by too many bed-strikes. So my money would be on aged filament and possibly print temperature too low (nozzle temp too low or cooling too high) I note the temperature in the gcode file is a fairly generic 205C, I presume it's PLA?. Having said that (and struck it out), looking at the picture again (and noting that pictures of 3d printing can be deceptive) does look like underextrusion, there's wee whisps of filament so to me that indicates the temperature is OK.

(There again, in the traddition of the internet, it could be your filament is too new, you need to ding up your nozzle and lower the print temperature whilst increasing cooling....oh and throw in buggering about with belt tension for good measure)....Sorry that's probably not very helpful.

What's the voltage to the extruder motor? I tried starting at 0.4A and it worked well...until it didn't. I have ended up at 0.6A which is reliable and doesn't skip steps (causing under extrusion and the mess you are seeing). It's a bit high (I would have preferred 0.45-0.5), but I'm not messing with it now.