Voron Trident 350 extremely slow build

mbunjes

6 hours ago, mbunjes said:

Do I need to do a bed mesh before every print ?

No, but you specifically need to load the mesh before every print. So somewhere in your start macro you need:

BED_MESH_PROFILE LOAD=<name>
for example:
BED_MESH_PROFILE LOAD=default

Klipper used to do this automatically, but this was flagged a change some time back(a month or two) and it is now a requirement, if you do not do a bed mesh before every print. I even have it in my start macro after doing an adaptive mesh.

Edit: Seems this was implemented in the past month. As per Kevin:

Other interesting changes this past month:

• The bed_mesh module will no longer load a default mesh at startup. Loading a default mesh could be confusing in some cases - it was felt that explicitly loading a mesh (typically from a PRINT_START macro or slicer settings) would be straight-forward for users to do, and it would avoid that confusion.

That's confusing.

I have BED_MESH_CLEAR and 

SET_DISPLAY_TEXT MSG="Bed mesh"    # Displays info
  STATUS_MESHING                     # Sets SB-leds to bed mesh-mode
  bed_mesh_calibrate                 # Starts bed mesh

in my PRINT_START macro

so that will do a mash now before every print, right ? 

1 minute ago, mbunjes said:

That's confusing.

I have BED_MESH_CLEAR and 

SET_DISPLAY_TEXT MSG="Bed mesh"    # Displays info
  STATUS_MESHING                     # Sets SB-leds to bed mesh-mode
  bed_mesh_calibrate                 # Starts bed mesh

in my PRINT_START macro

so that will do a mash now before every print, right ? 

Either that (will do a bed mesh with every print) or just change your start macro to:

SET_DISPLAY_TEXT MSG="Bed mesh"    # Displays info
  STATUS_MESHING                     # Sets SB-leds to bed mesh-mode
  # bed_mesh_calibrate                 # Starts bed mesh
  BED_MESH_PROFILE LOAD=default      #loads bed mesh profile default 

This will load your mesh called "default" for every print. The advantage of this is that if you do a hot mesh - (bed heated), it will load that mesh if specified. You can call this hotmesh and excecute :

BED_MESH_PROFILE LOAD=hotmesh          #loads bedmesh called hotmesh

It's all about the setup and prep. You change and tweak and test and then... you get to a point where everything just works. The biggest milestone for me was being able to click "Upload & Print", select the file and walk away.

Discipline is the bridge between desire and accomplishment

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

Discipline is the bridge between desire and accomplishment

Us GOM's know that. And having been in the signals core (Army), it was a lesson well instilled and useful even today.

• Like 1

I think I might be doing something wrong while baby stepping . Does arrow up in Fluidd;s babystepping  mean bed closer to the nozzle or nozzle further from the bed ? I interpreted it as nozzle further from the bed but I now realize I could be wrong.

Edited by mbunjes

10 hours ago, mbunjes said:

Does arrow up in Fluidd;s babystepping  mean bed closer to the nozzle or nozzle further from the bed ?

My understanding is Positive moves the toolhead away from the bed (further) and Negative moves the toolhead closer to the bed.

On a 2.4 this makes more sense as positive will move the gantry up, whilst negative will move the gantry down. Thus the up arrow in fluidd will move the toolhead up.

On a Trident, positive will move the bed down, thus the toolhead up, whilst negative will move the bed up, thus toolhead down. Thus the up arrow in fluidd will move the bed down.

Please correct my if I am wrong

I think the issue is we (well certainly me) get confused by thinking in terms of the head (or the bed depending on kinematics) moving. When really the plus/minus relate to the size of the gap between the two. Plus increases the gap and negative reduces the gap....irrespective of whether that involves moving the head of bed up/down or sideways which depends on printer kinematics.

I, too, will caveat that with I've only had one coffee this morning.

• Like 2

Well, I haven't tested it yet but I had a very large coffee this morning and this is my reasoning.

On the Trident you don't bring the nozzle down to the bed but rather the bed up to the nozzle. The Z-stepping symbol in Fluidd is an arrow with a line under it. So what if the line depicts the bed ? It would make perfect sense then to move up to decrease the gap between nozzle and bed.

Symbols with plus and minus would have made more sense.

Trying to wrap my head around plus/minus and up/down starts feeling like watching Abbott and Costello doing "Who's on First"!

It might help to keep in mind that Klipper doesn't care if the gantry or the bed moves.. When the Z-offset is accounted for 0.0mm is, in theory, the nozzle touching the bed. Negative numbers should try to move the nozzle closer to the bed while positive numbers should move the nozzle away from the bed.