Voron Trident 350 extremely slow build

mbunjes

While I have your attention a quick question about the inductive probe.
It behaves as it should: the light is on and goes off when I come near with a metal ruler.
However query probe always returns : triggered 
It doesn't seem to react to the bed being near or far.
How am I going to calibrate it if I can't see it working ?

I could mean and say "You're not, boom boom"....

Which port is the probe wired to? I'm trying to remember if it's a need for  pull-up/pull-down resistor. Also out of interest did you do for the octopus board or the Spyder (the disadvantage of such a long build and a poor memory on my part, I cannot remember 🤣)

Ooh, I don't think that's entirely good. I've got a spider board somewhere and an inductive probe I'll have a look. I don't remember chat about pull-ups on the spider (just some BTT boards, I think). The Spider I think has an inbuilt voltage "reducer" to step down the 24v probe voltage to a lower signal (3v?) signal

And suddenly all the networking problems are back. The connection with my browser fails every few seconds, Message : the site can't be reached.
This is driving me crazy. What can I do ? Obviously the old router/extender thing is not working properly.
Tried pinging but succeeded only on IP address, not on hostname.

4 hours ago, mbunjes said:

What can I do

I might have tried a wired connection - if that was reliable throughout then it's definitely the WIFI.  Naturally that assumes you have a long enough ethernet cable and/or can move your macine close enough to the main router and that there's a spare ethernet (LAN) port on the router.

The other option (well bodge) is, if name resolution is the primary issue, then use the IP address for the connection to the PI (as long as you're not using "SSL" connections e.g. HTTPS) or create a host entry on your windows 10 machine (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts or somewhere similar). Bit bodgey, as IP addresses can change courtesy of DHCP (depends on the lease time and the general turn-over in addresses) and trying to manually edit the hosts file in WIndows is a PITA since you need to invoke the notepad editor in "Administrative" mode and even then you can run up against the totalitarian joys of UAC.

As a bodge, whilst waiting for a new extender, use the IP. Here's hoping theres no environmental changes causing WIFI to drop out (e.g. other radio sources)

I can try a wired connection but I'd have to find out how to connect to the pi. I wouldn't mind having a wired connection.

Truth be told wireless is a bit weak in this room  (Concrete walls) so I've been thinking about an extender for some time.

Connecting with ip is not super reliable either

What are your mains electrics like? If they're not 90 years old (and you don't have a lot of "noisy" electric devices like dodgy old fans) then there's also power-line ethernet (little doo-dahs that just plug into a socket). I've had good experience with those.

Unless there's another plug adaptor thing  (to plug into the central router) then it'll be a "regular" wifi extender rather than a powerline wifi adaptor (you can get them).

Guess you can make things as interesting as you want (read complex and expensive 😉 ). If you wanted wired then you could run a single cable from your router through to a small hub/switch that you can connect the PI and your WIn10 machine. Although long cables aren't always appreciated by partners, guess it depends on how well it's routed/hidden.

Alternatively you can get multiple port (well dual port) power-line adaptors......or get a sledgehammer and knock the walls down.....but I never told you to do that (again partners seem to view that kind of extreme re-modelling almost as badly as long ethernet cables).

This is a mesh wifi system. I can just try it out for 1 euro / month. If I don't like it, it's gone. 
I could try the wired connection, there's an 8-port gigabit switch behind my pc.. The cable would be about 6 m. long (sorry if that's Greek to you, about 20 ft )
For now I'll wait for the pod to arrive, see what it does.

I'm running a mesh WiFI (Orbi) and I like it. It's so much easier than the old cobbled-together setup with multiple Linksys WRT54 routers. I have what smart home devices force me to wifi on it, the printers, and all the TVs. I can have 3 HD streams going at once and the sifi doesn't miss a beat.