Voron 2.4 R2 Build Diary

Poisson

52 minutes ago, smirk said:

Belt tension will affect resonance, it's one of things things that I noticed on the tronxy with its ridiculously long belt runs (the resonance give some ridiculous results, just never as low as 2.1k 😉 )

Those belts were hella loose. I tightened them up to recommended spec and rea-ran input shaper. Recommending 9300 accel on the X and 4300 accel on the Y now.

• Like 1

Thinking ahead to some internal lighting what are you guys thoughts on using some additional neopixels / addressable LEDs in conjunction with the ones on the toolhead? Seems like an interesting and fun way to both light the insdide up and maybe make some interesting lighting happen when certain functions take place.

I'd need to get them on some sort of bar where I don't have to solder each individual one, or I'd go crazy. And almost maybe some sort of PCB in the electronics bay I could connect all of them too so they are running in serial, hmmm.

Edited by Poisson

1 hour ago, Poisson said:

Other than needing to attach the exhaust fan cable in the electronics bay,  and waiting for a USB extension cable to arrive for the webcam, I think she is done. Pending lighting / more mods of course.

Exiting times, good build. Now comes the fun part after serial - MODS!!! (Hahahahaha)

22 hours ago, Poisson said:

Thinking ahead to some internal lighting what are you guys thoughts on using some additional neopixels / addressable LEDs in conjunction with the ones on the toolhead? Seems like an interesting and fun way to both light the insdide up and maybe make some interesting lighting happen when certain functions take place.

I'd need to get them on some sort of bar where I don't have to solder each individual one, or I'd go crazy. And almost maybe some sort of PCB in the electronics bay I could connect all of them too so they are running in serial, hmmm.

I think additional NeoPixels as case lights is such a great idea, that's what I did. 😉

I bought this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B088BRY2SH and ran a strip down the left and right top extrusions. Plenty of light.

To mount them, I used the eddie LED bar clip

11 minutes ago, claudermilk said:

I think additional NeoPixels as case lights is such a great idea, that's what I did. 😉

I bought this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B088BRY2SH and ran a strip down the left and right top extrusions. Plenty of light.

To mount them, I used the eddie LED bar clip

I ended up buying this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CDTEJBG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details, but they are 10mm wide strips. Most of the led strip holders I am finding in the voron user mods are for 7mm - 8mm wide strips so I am seeing if I can do some Fusion360 magic to modify someone's stl, but I am not great at Fusion 360 hah.

Been tuning for ABS most of the day so I can finally take the carboard enclosure off my old printer and make a little space on my desk. Voron cube came out great at 200 mm/s and 4300 accel, even the underside of the overhang looks fantastic. Going to start printing the LED holders overnight.

PXL_20221107_062444020.thumb.jpg.4ccc92d7bcf3c4339cfdaa4c61acea4a.jpgPXL_20221107_062456273.thumb.jpg.cef114369e2a70352fdc76607d5c0ae8.jpg

• Like 3

That looks fantastic, using a smooth PEI bed I see? looks beautiful, well tuned!

Speed is often held back by your max flow setting in your slicer, and most speed comes from higher acceleration instead of the print speed setting. But its something to play with, for sure.

This looks beautiful for sure.

No input shaping yet? Looks great. I'd prefer a touch more squish on the first layer, but that's just me.

For learning Fusion360 there's nothing better than a project you want to complete to drive the learning! I've been going through the Paul McWhorter series on YouTube; he does a really good job of taking you through the basics and shows some really good techniques. I just skip through the how to make iced coffee and how to set up your Creality printer parts. 😜

6 hours ago, Buurman said:

That looks fantastic, using a smooth PEI bed I see? looks beautiful, well tuned!

Speed is often held back by your max flow setting in your slicer, and most speed comes from higher acceleration instead of the print speed setting. But its something to play with, for sure.

This looks beautiful for sure.

Yes, using the smooth PEI that came with the kit. It's decent, bot as good as the PEX sheet for my other printer, but it is doing it's job. Plastic adheres well and comes off decently, though not a easily as my PEX sheet.

1 hour ago, claudermilk said:

No input shaping yet? Looks great. I'd prefer a touch more squish on the first layer, but that's just me.

For learning Fusion360 there's nothing better than a project you want to complete to drive the learning! I've been going through the Paul McWhorter series on YouTube; he does a really good job of taking you through the basics and shows some really good techniques. I just skip through the how to make iced coffee and how to set up your Creality printer parts. 😜

I am using input shaping.

So I've been using the stock config settings for my stepper motors that came from the printer.cfg from Voron, it seems like it's probably a good time to tune those now.

The datasheet Formbot provided me shows the X, Y, and Z steppers have a Rated current of 2 amp, and a Phase resistance of 1.3 ohm.

As I understand the "safe" run_current would be around half the Rated current? Though I could potentially push it to 75%? Looks like right now for X, Y, and Z I'm running 0.8 so there is for sure room to increase here yes?

sense_resistor also set to 0.110, should this be modified due to the the rated phase resistance of 1.3 ohms?

Edited by Poisson

39 minutes ago, Poisson said:

Yes, using the smooth PEI that came with the kit. It's decent, bot as good as the PEX sheet for my other printer, but it is doing it's job. Plastic adheres well and comes off decently, though not a easily as my PEX sheet.

Its not double sided? one side smooth other rough?

If its a formbot kit, it should be, and maybe mentioned before here, wash it with warm water and dishwasher soap... only then it works properly...

Edited by Buurman

5 minutes ago, Buurman said:

Its not double sided? one side smooth other rough?

If its a formbot kit, it should be, and maybe mentioned before here, wash it with warm water and dishwasher soap... only then it works properly...

It is double sided, but the other side appears to be just textured metal, I don't see any PEI on it. I prefer the smooth PEI anyway.

It works well on the smooth side, a little too well in fact. Getting the prints off is a little harder than my PEX one, but they do come off with a good flex. On my PEX one they just come off on their own once it cools.

Edited by Poisson

19 minutes ago, Poisson said:

So I've been using the stock config settings for my stepper motors that came from the printer.cfg from Voron, it seems like it's probably a good time to tune those now.

The datasheet Formbot provided me shows the X, Y, and Z steppers have a Rated current of 2 amp, and a Phase resistance of 1.3 ohm.

As I understand the "safe" run_current would be around half the Rated current? Though I could potentially push it to 75%? Looks like right now for X, Y, and Z I'm running 0.8 so there is for sure room to increase here yes?

sense_resistor also set to 0.110, should this be modified due to the the rated phase resistance of 1.3 ohms?

After gooling I am kind of answering my own questions about sense_resistance I think this is specific to the stepper driver and not the motor, but I have not yet been able to determine if it needs to be modified.