Voron 2.4 R2 Build Diary

Poisson

• 1 month later...

ERCF is my current adventure. Waiting for a replacement servo to get here as the one that came in my kit was junk.

In the mean time I built myself a little hanging shelf to use for spool management. In front of the printer and easy to get to for spool changes.

PXL_20230128_170140695.thumb.jpg.3f72959ece13d3098a1844ce4a5f9a64.jpg

Mounted the ERCF on top of the printer instead of the back:

image.thumb.jpeg.b34c2be7c87bff72a1921511e603d8ca.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, smirk said:

Love the shelf, although I cannot take my eyes off the HVAC conduit. Looks like it's going to be stealing bits off the printer.

ROFL! I got Brazil mental images from that comment.

Not fair that you can just bolt a hanging shelf over your printer.

3 hours ago, claudermilk said:

ROFL! I got Brazil mental images from that comment.

Not fair that you can just bolt a hanging shelf over your printer.

I guess that's the advantage to having a partially finished basement where I don't care how it looks 😛

Edited by Poisson

ERCF is giant pain in the ass just to warn anyone going down this path. Spent the better part of the weekend (and some days prior) trying to get a reliable encoder working. Now the gear motor seems to be dying. I haven't even made it past the calibration phase of this.

Maybe the supplier I used was just garbage but I'd highly recommend against the fysetc kits. It has been nothing but trouble. I've had to replace the plastic bearings with metal ones, the servo, the TCRT5000 sensor, and now the NEMA14 gear motor, which I am going to replace with a NEMA17 just in case. I can't even trust this fysetc ERB board either since it has integrated stepper drivers and I am replacing it with the other style ERB board that lets you put on the stepper drivers.

Edited by Poisson

2 hours ago, Poisson said:

ERCF is giant pain in the ass just to warn anyone going down this path.

Ordered a kit when I did the big order of 3 Vorons from formbot. It is a funsor kit and I will be incorporating it in a 350 Voron 2.4, some time later this year. Thanks for the warning - but then I took on Canboot and Canbus - that was a humongous pain in the ass.

But I am also thinking of a Tridex - been watching Steve Builds from 3 months ago on this. Don't know if I will ever need more than two colors in a print - but you never know

Interested to see how you go - Good Luck - sure it will be worth it in the end.

27 minutes ago, mvdveer said:

But I am also thinking of a Tridex

This is on my wish list (if I ever find the time).. Working with the Micro Sherpa extruder, it could be possible to have an IDEX setup with minimal toolheads that could have a mere 25mm offset from nozzle to nozzle to maximize travel overlap or minimize how much the frame needs to be oversized.

2023-02-06-223430_1920x1054_scrot.thumb.png.7e9953fed7c4e69893671388a5668eb8.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, atrushing said:

Working with the Micro Sherpa extruder, it could be possible to have an IDEX setup with minimal toolheads that could have a mere 25mm offset from nozzle to nozzle

Now that I like. The Tridex is still a long way off for me (possible late this year) but will keep a keen eye on this development.

1 hour ago, mvdveer said:

Ordered a kit when I did the big order of 3 Vorons from formbot. It is a funsor kit and I will be incorporating it in a 350 Voron 2.4, some time later this year. Thanks for the warning - but then I took on Canboot and Canbus - that was a humongous pain in the ass.

But I am also thinking of a Tridex - been watching Steve Builds from 3 months ago on this. Don't know if I will ever need more than two colors in a print - but you never know

Interested to see how you go - Good Luck - sure it will be worth it in the end.

Here's some free advice for at least how far I've gotten so far. Don't even mess around with the 1.1 BOM servo, the MG90S. According to the discord it's very common to have issues with this servo being able to keep all the way in the down position and it comes down to either A. a crappy servo, or B, the MG90S being a cheap analog servo getting a digital signal from the ERB board. So your options will come down to A. replacing the servo, or B. replacing the ERB board (and hoping the new one is better) or modifying the electronics on the board which is beyond me.

The easy solution is to replace the servo with a stronger, digital servo. The original 1.0 bom servo works exceeding well I've been told "It actuates with a vengeance", this is the SAVOX SH0255 MH (discontinued, now replaced with SH0255MGP). The problem is this is a $40 servo instead of the couple dollars for the MG90S. What came recommended by someone in the discord was the HEXTRONIK MG-14. This is a digital servo, with significantly more torque than the MG90S and about $10. It's been working well for me so far. I'd highly recommend getting a good digital servo and not even mucking about with the MG90S. If your only option is the Savox, get the Savox.

Some other recommendations, use the Happy Hare 3 Software here: https://github.com/moggieuk/ERCF-Software-V3

Look through moggieuk's encoder recommendations here: https://github.com/moggieuk/ERCF-Software-V3/blob/master/doc/ENCODER.md especially his recommendations for modifying the gear under the section "Optical sensor not getting reliable reflections". So far doing something along these lines has given me the best results. Once I've rebuilt everything I'll let you guys know if this gear modification is holding well. I haven't been able to fully implement it yet due to things breaking down here and waiting for parts.

Edited by Poisson
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Poisson said:

Here's some free advice for at least how far I've gotten so far.

Taken it on board.

Shhhh - don't ell anyone but I copied your reply and pasted into my Notes - so I don't have to go searching for it when the time comes. (as it may be a while) Maybe I feel about ERCF as others feel about canboot and canbus

• Haha 1