Voron 2.4 R2 Build Diary

Poisson

16 hours ago, Poisson said:

linear rails

I can sympathise with your questions regards linear rails (and all the contradictory and confusing advice out there). Personally, I have found (by bitter experience) the best starting point is actual quality rails (if not absolute brand leaders like Misumi or Hwim) and it is ridiculously impractical (to nigh on impossible) to salvage a crappy rail. All these videos suggesting that with a bit of dissassembly and grease you can turn a rubbish rail into an adequate one have never worked for me. Even with spending more in quality replacement bearings and quality replacement grease (than the rails are worth) there's no real way to turn a crappy rail into a moderately less-crappy rail. Rubbish rails are rubbish raills. Sorry that's an old man grump 🤣

Fortunately the rails I've got from the VoronDesign suggested suppliers and in Formbot kits have been good enough in quality. Which means they haven't been stuffed with beef lard or drowned in 20//40 motor oil that they seem to load up the cheap rails with. For degreasing I just use IPA. With the quality rails I just have to wipe the rails down with a microfibre cloth (with IPA) and  in a situation where I have to strip things down I would soak the parts in  60/40 mix of water/IPA - I dilute the IPA just to make it go further (it's not cheap here in the UK) and make sure it's thoroughly dried. For lubrication less is more otherwise it just attracts dust and plastic particles. To be honest, in my experience, the good quality rails just need a light wipe down to remove the  film of oil over the suface which makes them nicer to handle (and prevents dust build up) and the addition of just enough lubricant (i.e. less than you might think) to lightly coat the bearings. I've not had to strip them down as they haven't been packed with grease or more worryingly full of metal swarf left over from the machining.

Cube looks good.

For cleaning rails, Nero has an updated video on this topic:

For mine, I cleaned them with IPA. Then carefully removed the carriages, packed grease into the bearing races, and wiped the rails down with grease. Then carefully put the carriages back on. 

• Like 1

First bigger detailed pieces off the line, in a different color than what I calibrated on (did 0 calibration tests for this color other than running a cube to rough check things): One of the the matching z_drive_main and z_drive_retainer pieces. They look very good. I'm starting to feel pretty confident that everything is just going to come out great in either of the colors I am using.

PXL_20221014_191131767.thumb.jpg.893f7b16f71dddc436319525c2f9d832.jpgPXL_20221014_191121122.thumb.jpg.b20ff63aa1893bf394f07996cc5fb511.jpg

Edited by Poisson
  • Like 3

I rough fit the frame today. I had to order a good machinist square which won't be till tomorrow so I can actually square the frame and tighten. Also was supposed to get some Mobilux EP2 in so I could clean and then grease the linear rails, but that hasn't come in yet either. Thinking about just using the super lube I have sitting around.

PXL_20221014_223244616.thumb.jpg.b1ad6f0ed1d587122104ec5575b5f8ae.jpg

PXL_20221014_222212758.jpg

Edited by Poisson
  • Like 2

Cleaned and lubed the linear rails. For some reason I thought it would be good a idea to remove the carts to IPA soak them and also better get the rail clean with them removed. When trying to put the carts back on the rails multiple carts lost bearings and I had to get them all back in with tweezers. What a pain. Lesson learned, don't remove the cart from the rail.

Now I just need the rail guides to print and I can put them on.

image.jpeg.fac2572caed53322cccf09e495872085.jpeg

Other wise my z drives are almost fully assembled now.

640891167_PXL_20221016_000220892(1).thumb.jpg.6e188f0f791ef5145ff4922fdfd428ce.jpg

Had one snafu with a heat insert, went in at an angle and messed up but I managed to correct it without having to reprint the part!

Edited by Poisson
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Poisson said:

good a idea

Been there as well 🤣 The mechanical equivalent of the magic black smoke escaping....the little metal balls popping out. Over time I've gathered number of these plastic dummy "rails" which are loose enough not to push the balls out of their grooves but tight enough to make sure the balls don't pop out. I find they help greatly when sliding the carriages on and off the rails proper.

19 hours ago, Poisson said:

Had one snafu with a heat insert, went in at an angle and messed up but I managed to correct it without having to reprint the part!

It happens - therefor I have printed and assembled a heathery inset. A bit over the top but it ensures inserts go in at 90 degrees:

https://github.com/AdamV3D/Threaded-Insert-Press

Good progress and neat build. After building 3 Voron's and on the fourth what I learned is be patient and take your time. My first V0.1, I rushed because I was sooooo exited and it is not perfect. Good yes, perfect no - have had to print some replacement parts and rebuild the toolhead for example. Still some parts to change. Thinking of converting it to a Tri-Zero as well

It's a bit scary removing the carriages. I went very slowly and carefully during this step. I managed to not pop any balls out, but had everything on a shop towel just in case--make sure the little turds didn't go off on a big adventure if they did escape.

Any recommendations for printing the clear and opaque parts of stealthburner? About to have all the X Y and Z parts finished printing and it looks like stealthburner is next on the list in the manual. Going to start on the non transparent pieces first, but I'll have to buy some transparent filament for the clear/opaque pieces and I've never worked with transparent before.

Edited by Poisson

So this is the first time the docs don't seem to be matching up with something:

image.thumb.jpeg.4cba90b0f589d74e8172320f222434d7.jpeg

This calls for M3x20 SHCS, but M3X20s are too short, they don't even go all the way through printed lower Z joints:

image.thumb.jpeg.ea12dcabb51e1ba553d14810f2e75950.jpeg

Am I missing something or should these actually be M3x25 SHCS? Definitely no M3x25 in my kit though.

Edited by Poisson

Dear me! Never had issues with the formbot nut set myself, but that's annoying. I think we've all had moments where we've had similar experiences of trying to fit something that says it's the right part only to find they've changed the design or it's simply the wrong part althogether. Fortunately, it's something that's easily rectified now you've spotted the issue.

The hartk PCB indeed looks like a nice, clean way of setting it up. If I were building a new SB I'd probably go this route (SB was still beta, and hartk was still developing the PCBs when I built mine).

For the opaque LED part, any opaque filament will work. I just used my primary color for that. For the clear, any clear or translucent will work. I know some of the Voron team have mentioned using PLA, hot glue, and cut up bits of clear plastic film. I used "transparent white" Hatchbox (?) ABS which has worked great.