Voron 2.4 R2 - From Ontario Canada HEY!

PFarm

Installed BTT 2209 Canbus yesterday and flashed Canboot and firmware to the tool head, flashed the firmware to Octopus. I'm able to get a Can ID for Klipper but no EBBCan. The printer config. want a serial ID but when doing a ls/dev/serial/by-id the only serial that shows is for the Klipper expansion module. I'm stumped as to what to do next to clear this error.  Reflashed a second time with the BTT 2209 instructions but no EBBCan ID

Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 6.09.10 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 6.10.47 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 1.05.26 PM.png

Edited by PFarm

12 hours ago, PFarm said:

serial that shows is for the Klipper expansion module.

It seems the SB2209 did not flash. Do you have the terminator on the resistor (MCU-CAN-120R) when flashing? Should be on for the whole process,  I think. (My SB2040 had the same issue until I put a terminal on the resistor)

image.thumb.png.e62b8c5bda53a0879ce68f7ff691e5cc.png

• Like 1

The U2C is purely an interface board between the raspi and the SB2209 that converts the Raspi USB port to a canbus port. (In short it is a CAN output ). 

image.thumb.png.d7fb6deda1f427aae27afc20dafa3f8b.png

If you use an octopus board, you can discard this as the octopus will communicate with the SB2209 through its CAN interface. 

image.thumb.png.b5ad52dbcd63c81885e72a27efc7742a.png

According to page 4 of the U2C manual, it supports firmware update as described on page 10 . So it seems it comes pre-flashed and no need to re-flash. This is confirmed here.

Also found this on Reddit Voron Forum:

The resistors need to go on both the 2209 and the U2C. If you have a multi-meter, with the printer powered off, it should measure 60ohms across the CAN_H and CAN_L. Plug the U2C into a USB port on your PI and ensure your VIN, GND, CAN_H, and CAN_L are wired to the correct ports on the U2C and the 2209.  Maz0r has a guide about setting up the CAN network. Once the network is configured, you should see the 2209 by querying it (not by /dev/serial/by-id).

This is the link from the quote.

Hope this helps, but shout out if it doesn't

15 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Just came across this in the latest Klipper update. Don't know if it is relevant or not:

image.thumb.png.cb24330ed8fe769463876807bbe55efc.png

PB5/PB6 are not an option in the menuconfig, so I assume that my Klipper version is not the latest update. The SB2209 takes the flash firmware but still no Can0. The U2C blue led suppose to be on though that was only when it in boot mode? What confusing is that I had a Can0 when I first flash the 2209 but now I've got nothing. Defective 2209? Clear Canboot and Klipper files from Pi and start over?

IMG_1545.JPG

Edited by PFarm

Removed the U2C installed Can cable using the Octopus Can connection still no Can0 so I believe I have a defective 2209. Have an EBB36 that I purchased for another printer so will wire that up and flash and see if I can get Canbus up and running which will tell me the 2209 is defective. 

• Like 1

Eliminated the U2C and using the Octopus can port. Still trying to get Can0 on the SB2209 @mvdveer seen your reply to Chuck_Snow and the guide you used. When using dfu-util -l it says it cannot open the device in DFU although it is in DFU mode.

Screenshot2023-05-25at7_21_55AM.thumb.png.087300733814d2d620a65a87b482c281.png

I see that he is also getting the comment from the dfu util and like me it will say it has successfully flashed but both of us cannot get Can0 assigned. 

Screenshot2023-05-25at7_37_37AM.thumb.png.1d7b38cfd79064fef2223af3d6852083.png

So I notice that at the begin of the instruction you need to be in root? 

sudo su pi
cd ~
git clone https://github.com/Arksine/CanBoot

When I change my login to root, it finds the DFU device. 

Screenshot2023-05-25at11_28_54AM.thumb.png.a54dc8aeeb607265ca0488abd97cabac.png

But when I run the command line to flash the Octopus it comes up as invalid DFU suffix signature?

Screenshot2023-05-25at11_47_31AM.thumb.png.dfc32f211341cec7bc0a091aad49cbc2.png

Edited by PFarm

That error can be ignored as far as I remember. Currently out of the country - will be back in a couple of weeks, then I can flash a new board and post a step by step.

What you posted above shows a successful flash. Is your canbus board connected to octopus via the RJ45 jack and powered on from the board, and usb cable removed? If not, Klipper won’t find the UUID of the canbus board.

• Like 1

UPDATE: Got the U2C module flashed using this guide:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/voroncorexy/permalink/1656329368128956

The SB2209 coming up on the Can network, it seems I'm having an issue flashing the Octopus no uuid for that board.

@mvdveer appreciate the reply, I got this far I'll keep plugging at it.

Edited by PFarm

Oh yeah baby! Happy you got it sorted - Whooaaah.

Can be very frustrating as one simple little oversight or typing mistake can affect the whole thing. Well done mate.

• Like 1

This Canbus mod has turned into a nightmare! When doing the stepper_buzz test I get:

return cls(channel, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/jack/klippy-env/lib/python3.10/site-packages/can/interfaces/socketcan/socketcan.py", line 594, in __init__
    bind_socket(self.socket, channel)
  File "/home/jack/klippy-env/lib/python3.10/site-packages/can/interfaces/socketcan/socketcan.py", line 459, in bind_socket
    sock.bind((channel,))
OSError: [Errno 19] No such device
webhooks client 281473278780048: New connection
webhooks client 281473278780048: Client info {'program': 'Moonraker', 'version': 'v0.8.0-44-gadca664'}

I believe that error 19 is the loss of the Canbus communication with Octopus, tried putting the Octopus in DFU mode but had no luck. I've now fried two motherboards everything was working well before this conversion so going to have to get another motherboard and stepper drivers. Any idea how I can prevent this from happening again? Could it be that I've got a bad stepper driver that is causing the board to fry?

The next motherboard going to be a Manta 8P.

Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 7.49.24 PM.png

Edited by PFarm
  • Sad 1

@PFarm I also had a lot of trouble whit the CanBus but my issues was that none of the Guides work whit the MP8 Board, because when you put it in Can bridge mode it turns off the Serial which most guides tell you to use to get the /Serial/by-id, but you can't do that and you need to put on Canboot to update the board, but most guides encourage you not to use a Canboot. and it not very clear over that and flashing it in DFU mode. 

So, it was like I was always missing a part. I could never get the 2 UUID.

But I did manage to get mine working if you do get the MP8 Manta board and the SB2209 I posted my successful flash for it might help you on your next adventure and not go through the pain I went through... and ya it sucks when nothing goes right, I feel your pain...

Now the Stepper and 2 mother board eeekkk!! that hurt sorry for your loss...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Chuck_Snow said:

So, it was like I was always missing a part. I could never get the 2 UUID.

But I did manage to get mine working if you do get the MP8 Manta board and the SB2209 I posted my successful flash for it might help you on your next adventure and not go through the pain I went through... and ya it sucks when nothing goes right, I feel your pain...

Now the Stepper and 2 mother board eeekkk!! that hurt sorry for your loss...

@Chuck_Snow Thanks for the reply I'd seen your post regarding Canbus on the Manta 8P. Got is saved and was going to use it to flash my board when it arrives. Really appreciate that you took the time to post your painful journey to success! One of my task at work was writing procedures for our techs to follow I know the importance of having accurate documentation which seems to be lacking in the 3d printing world.

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 1

@Chuck_Snow The Manta version I've got coming is V1.0 which involves CanBus so I'll need to figure out what is needed for that, I believe is the use of a Canbus adapter. I hadn't noticed the version until I read thru the Manta manual. I'm guessing it's older stock that a Canadian supplier had. It was only $20.00 more instead of ordering directly from BTT so I'd get it quicker but as mentioned hadn't noticed the version. I do have the U2C adapter but also have the IOCAN V1.0 module coming which plugs in directly to the CB1 GPIO pins and supplies a Canbus "high/low" port.

https://github.com/bigtreetech/IO2CAN

IO2Canbus.thumb.png.e7bef34b35891be9b37c7105a5715443.png

Screenshot2023-05-31at7_13_24AM.thumb.png.7f3279ddc42baf13f33a3b334b3cf5cc.png

Screenshot2023-05-31at7_05_54AM.thumb.png.013ca392ae36b3a90566a045922beb90.png

Edited by PFarm

YEs, you are correct the V1.0 of the Manta MP8 board does not have a Canbus port so you will need to use U2C or some other kind of daughter board to get it working. Just understand now that you won't be flashing the mother board now, you will be doing the U2C instead or said daughter board.

I'm not sure how different the procedure will be I will try to look around and see what I can find... Now that think about it you might still need to do it like I did while using the IO2 daughter board but I don't think you will need to do the Can Bridge mode.

I will let you know if I find any juicy stuff that might help..

Edited by Chuck_Snow
  • Like 2

Ya the IO2CAN looks pretty straight forward and SPI not UART, so you're not installing CanBoot or Klipper on it just need to install it on your Toolhead board of choice,

I think the only thing I would change is in the interface.d  (auto can0) to 

allow-hotplug can0

this line is necessary for Can bridge Mode, from what I have read auto isn't needed.

if you use U2C just follow it procedure for Can install, then to the Toolhead

Edited by Chuck_Snow
  • Like 2

On 5/31/2023 at 1:20 PM, Chuck_Snow said:

YEs, you are correct the V1.0 of the Manta MP8 board does not have a Canbus port so you will need to use U2C or some other kind of daughter board to get it working. Just understand now that you won't be flashing the mother board now, you will be doing the U2C instead or said daughter board.

I'm not sure how different the procedure will be I will try to look around and see what I can find... Now that think about it you might still need to do it like I did while using the IO2 daughter board but I don't think you will need to do the Can Bridge mode.

I will let you know if I find any juicy stuff that might help..

@Chuck_Snow @mvdveer Flash klipper to Manta, you're right I won't need to flash Can Bridge, my 2209 is already flashed and the U2C as well, what I'll need to do is flash Canboot to CB1 on the Manta board (yes/no)?. Connect the USB cable from the Manta to the U2C, connect 24V. and the Can High and Can Low cables to the U2C, and connect the USB cable from the U2C Can Out to the Manta USB C serial port.  I have the EBBCan ID with connection configuration I'm wondering if a Can ID will be generated for the Manta? Modify the printer.cfg and include the EBBCan supplement file.

Screenshot2023-06-01at8_12_30PM.thumb.png.5e8e647cb34a0e01e9bbd83903bc1e35.png

Screenshot2023-06-01at8_01_02PM.thumb.png.5815b3067bc800497be4f4e54358f783.png

The IO2Can will be installed onto the CB1 GPIO pins (CanHat) and replace the high/low Can of the U2C module when it arrives.

image.thumb.png.7269855b6d58326484940590c85b13b3.png

The U2C will then be used with my Artillery X1 that I'm modding to Can to eliminate the troublesome flat cable to the hot end.

Edited by PFarm

No, you should not need to install CanBoot to the CB1 just the normal klipper install from the BTT Manual

the U2C will handle the Canboot if you choice to install it.

For the CB1 follow these instructioons.

image.thumb.png.f4ad55bcd706beb7e78946e5f3362d95.png

Then proceed to the U2C install CanBoot (optional) - Klipper Misc Docs (meteyou.wtf) follow those instruction for Canboot then Klipper.

Then you can move on to the EBB36 install Overview - Klipper Misc Docs (meteyou.wtf) follow those.

Get the UUID,  prepare the Printer.cfg and ebb36canbus.cfg  if you so choice to separate them don't forget the include

in the Printer.cfg  finish up any other loose end and you should be good to go..

For the Manta Board you can follow the Factory instruction...

image.thumb.png.2f317ae7668c352d2c9f83c26b1b97a2.png

image.thumb.png.ab8aa9f68177a43e975087c89c19f705.png

image.thumb.png.e3308f6afb286ddcb9276d53a7e91080.png

This should be it unless I missed some thing hope this works out for you /Cheers, and good luck

P.S> just a side note you probably should do the Manta board after the CB1 for order of operations.

Edited by Chuck_Snow
  • Like 1

I just got my EBB36, HDMI5, and Pi/CB1, to install in my Mercury one build and I also have a the new BTT Pi and U2C coming... to play whit. 

I should be getting mine up and running in the next few days.. the only difference on my Build is it has the Octopus 1.1 board. over the MP8 board. so its a very similar build.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PFarm said:

what I'll need to do is flash Canboot to CB1 on the Manta board (yes/no)?.

No, only klipper as the UTC is the canbus interface. Canboot only needed if you want to reflash the SB2209 without using the USB cable. (This will have to be installed on the UTC) As you have everything working, forget about canboot at this stage. You don't need it now.

• Like 1

Thanks, guys for the replies, so that will be an easy update just need the serial ID in the printer.cfg and comment out the hot end section, add the Canbus cfg. @Chuck_Snow U2C (I did use that same guide to flash it) is already flashed so is the BTT 2209, only need to flash Klipper to Manta and CB1. Appreciate the instruction!

With the Voron being down I'm having withdrawals so started on my Artillery X1 mod. Installing Stealthburner c/w E3D Dragon and using the X-axis existing wheel assembly. The plan is to eventually add the MGN 12 rail and convert it to Canbus to eliminate the flat cable to the hot end. I've also done the side drag chain on all 4 of the X1s. The flat cable and the location of the bed cabling are known issues with these printers.

IMG_1557.JPG

IMG_1558.JPG

IMG_1559.JPG

IMG_1560.JPG

IMG_1563.JPG

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 2

Got the Stealthburner mounted all work with the exception of the LDO extruder motor, had an overheating issue with that motor in the Voron though it was because it was inside the enclosure but something is wrong with this motor. Got a Moon stepper coming to replace it.

IMG_1564.thumb.JPG.9cca239edcc78b5a85f0d1da94ada866.JPG

• Like 1