Voron 2.4 R2 - From Ontario Canada HEY!

PFarm

This is my first Voron build, got the email from Formbot saying the kit be being shipped (Whohooo!) I setup a ghetto enclosure with two cardboard boxes for my Artillery X1 to print parts.  Also first time printing ABS so this will be interesting any help, suggestion, critic are welcome. Figured I'd start with electronic bay parts to tweak slicer setting (Cura 5.1.0) since parts will be hidden. Base colour Spartan Obsidian Black Sparkle ABS+, accent Spartan Cloud Grey Sparkle ABS+.

Build will be in two week increment, I work and two weeks on two weeks off shift in Western Canada, almost at the end of my career I retire January 28th 2023 😎. I'm still browsing thru build, has anyone done the LDO electronic bay layout with the Formbot kit where the din rail run from front to back instead of side to side?

I need to setup one of my Artillery X1 with Klipper so I can get familiar with the platform, presently using Octoprint so may go the Octoprint/Klipper route first then migrate to Mainsail. 

Print in the photo are 3D3 Sigma Prototype ABS.Printing at 235C/110C glass bed with PEI sheet is why I set it 10C higher. Use hairspray too help with adhesion clean with Isopropyl before re-applying hairspray seem to working for me. Titanium heat break with a Micro Swiss copper plated #4 nozzle.

IMG_1245.JPG

IMG_1244.JPG

IMG_1246.JPG

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 1:01 AM, PFarm said:

Also first time printing ABS so this will be interesting any help, suggestion,

Looks good! From my experience printing ABS for the first time (for my first Voron) using a very similar cardboard box approach on another printer.....with hindsight,I would strongly recommend using the thread tests from the Voron githuib for me my issue (which I only discovered after printing most of the parts) was I had not tuned my flow rate sufficiently well. Everything looked good  and "fitted" but my flow was too high so things were just a little too large and things like the threaded V0 belt tensioners just would not screw together, and bolt holes just a little too snug.

I need to setup one of my Artillery X1 with Klipper so I can get familiar with the platform, presently using Octoprint so may go the Octoprint/Klipper route first then migrate to Mainsail. 

Again, knowing what I know now, I would just go full mainsail/klipper from the get-go. There's enough pre-packaged mainsail/klipper distros out there that take the pain out of any install and the setup also emulates an Octoprint connection (so your slicer can still use Octoprint to connect and you have the advantage of not needing to bugger about getting the API key...you just type in any old rubbish and it works). Granted I'm not doing any too fancy-schmancy, I never used a zillion exotic Octoprint plugins, but I've not missed Octoprint once. Never looked back.

I retire January 28th 2023

Party at yours!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, smirk said:

Again, knowing what I know now, I would just go full mainsail/klipper from the get-go

Cannot agree more! My Creality printers all had Marlin and the first thing I did was go fluid interface with Klipper. Steam learning curve but oh boy - was it worth it!. Now I prefer mainsail above fluid. Only thing I miss from fluid is the ability to control the LED's from the interface - but that is what macro's are for. 

With mainsail, and superslicer, I upload files from the slicer to the printer and away I go. As @smirk, never looked back. Mainsail has Object exclude, Timelapse and it's own version of spaghetti detective - Obico -  (must admit have not used this feature). Nothing at all I miss from octoprint.

• Like 1

Looks ok PFarm, its always hard to judge from a photo, since they can differ so much from reality.

I would go trough the Ellis guide for tuning, I think you can optimize the top layer (this can strangely have to to with bottom layer, so do the whole guide) since to me it looks like you can see the lines a lot, and where the text is on the brackets, I expect, printing to hot ot maybe too fast, seems like details get lost.

But overall, I think (based on photo, again, if it looks good to you, its good!) you are on 80% of whats achievable.

https://github.com/AndrewEllis93/Print-Tuning-Guide

pS. I think the wago holder look very solid! its the brackets where I think some improvement can be made.

• Like 1

Parts look good. I'll add another recommendation to do the Voron thread tests. I did that with my Mini+ in its ghetto cardboard box enclosure. Those prints passed, so I moved ahead, and most of my Trident is still those parts from the Mini. Also another recommendation for the Ellis tuning guide; it helps you get your printer really dialed in.

@mvdveer Fluidd has all the same features as Mainsail. Object exclude, timelapse, Obico. It's all based in Klipper/Moonraker. I actually prefer Fluidd's way of presenting the print preview for object exclude over Mainsail.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, claudermilk said:

Fluidd has all the same features as Mainsail.

Thanks @claudermilk. Was aware of it. Was just comparing Mainsail to Octoprint. Like cars - I guess, we all have our preferences. The one is not necessarily better than the other.

24 minutes ago, smirk said:

Hey! I didn't get a trolley when I ordered mine! Is that to make up for the lack of a PI (probably)!?

Yeah could be LOL! They did send a few printed parts as a gift (filter and hot end).

IMG_1253.JPG

IMG_1254.JPG

Edited by PFarm

4 hours ago, PFarm said:

This showed up today,

Let the games begin! 

3 hours ago, PFarm said:

They did send a few printed parts as a gift (filter and hot end)

That's cool of them, but is that your collar scheme? Standard Voron 2.4 colors. Happy building. Take your time and mostly enjoy.

1 hour ago, mvdveer said:

Let the games begin! 

That's cool of them, but is that your collar scheme? Standard Voron 2.4 colors. Happy building. Take your time and mostly enjoy.

No my color is Spartan Sparkle Obsidian Black and Spartan Sparkle Cloud Grey.

IMG_1258.JPG

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, PFarm said:

No my color is Spartan Sparkle Obsidian Black and Spartan Sparkle Cloud Grey.

I like that. Have a Voron 2.4 350 waiting to be build. Color combination of grey and silver - want to get away from the "out of there colors of my previous builds". No sparkle filament here in OZ that I have come across to this point.

7 minutes ago, mvdveer said:

I like that. Have a Voron 2.4 350 waiting to be build. Color combination of grey and silver - want to get away from the "out of there colors of my previous builds". No sparkle filament here in OZ that I have come across to this point.

Grey and silver should be cool haven't seen any in that combo!

• Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 5:51 AM, Buurman said:

I would go trough the Ellis guide for tuning, I think you can optimize the top layer 

https://github.com/AndrewEllis93/Print-Tuning-Guide

@BuurmanThanks for the info I made some adjustments and prints are coming out much cleaner!

IMG_1258.JPG

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PFarm said:

@Buurman yes Spartan Sparkle Obsidian Black and Spartan Sparkle Cloud Grey accent.

Ah cool, I order 12 spindles of the stuff from the Discord group. Next year it looks like we may get an european Sparta supplier....

Never printed with the stuff, but looking forward to it... 

11 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Color combination of grey and silver

Grey is a beast for strong parts, silver is the worst, so keep that in mind, I am now printing CARBON on my V0 since I am stunned by the strength of it, so made up my mind to reprint most parts in Carbon for the sheer strength of it.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Buurman said:

silver is the worst,

Was not aware of that. Thanks for the heads up - May need to change the colour scheme. If it was not for the cost of postage to Australia, I might have ordered some as well.