Voron 2.4 R2 - From Ontario Canada HEY!

PFarm

Manta 8P came in today, jumpers are set, CB1 programmed, motherboard flashed with Klipper. 

IMG_1570.thumb.JPG.581f9c49eb3331bcfe4ed1c00fa6c3c9.JPG

Got config files loaded, onto the initial startup tomorrow to make sure everything works as intended. 

Screenshot2023-06-05at11_02_35PM.thumb.png.c85fd777d495adaafcef17a0a2483de1.png

Edited by PFarm

When trying to save the extruder PID I get this message:

Screenshot2023-06-06at9_46_52AM.thumb.png.93e569ee824c93d1baed2b1208e3e0fb.png

Any suggestions?

Update: figured it out, config can't save in an "include file"

Edited by PFarm

Switching from the Octopus to the Manta 8P I'd highly recommend the Manta to anyone replacing the Octopus. I've also added Gantry backplates, the IO2Can is in so I'll be swapping that out. I still have the drag chain till I print the umbiblical parts. Replaced the rear drag chain from 10x15 to 10x11 and still need to move the end-stops.

IMG_1579.thumb.JPG.39d2631b094353d7745ac8af170edce6.JPG

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 2

Almost completed the accent colour (Esun ABS Yellow) conversion just need the Nevermore printed next. The latest mods were Canbus SB 2209, Manta 8P with CB1 and heatsink, BTT HDMI5 screen, PEI plater alignment blocks, and backer plates on the gantry which seems to have helped with the QGL. Got the umbilical install I'm debating leaving the end stops in place. Installed new door locks really like these, simple but functional. 

Got 90 deg. cabling coming for the screen HDMI and C cable.

IMG_1585.JPG

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 3

Been scratching my head for the last two days, though it could have been a mechanical issue with the extruder but installed two different bodies, two different gears and two different motors. When I ask to extrude 100mm it stutters while extruding (not constant extrusion) see the link for the video.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lKidYbnO7zz7BeoN_1q2nfGOc5ekOCwU/view?usp=sharing

[tmc2209 extruder]
uart_pin: EBBCan: PA15
run_current: 0.650
stealthchop_threshold: 999999

Update: got it fingered out removed the nozzle and it extruded properly, so guess I had partial blockage in the nozzle. Has anyone had any luck soaking the nozzle in acetone to remove the ABS?

Edited by PFarm

2 hours ago, PFarm said:

any luck soaking the nozzle in acetone to remove the ABS?

Have not tried soaking in Acetone. I normally use a heat gun to heat the nozzle and clear the clock with a small nozzle drill.

UPD001.jpg.12ff33a671ad5f8d6de9fb76e26c4bfb.jpg

• Like 2

For anyone printing ABS in Canada, I'd suggest looking at https://www.matter3d.com/ a Canadian manufacturer of 3d filaments. I've ordered their ABS Matter finish filament and I'm pleased with the print result. Print temps are 270/110 chamber @ 50C min. with no cooling. 

IMG_1613.thumb.JPG.85f4558d29ef3e1fdfd26403ad192996.JPG

A note regarding the BTT SB2209/2240 Canbus module the "micro" JST connectors are a pain to install especially with fat fingers and poor eyesight. Had to use tweezers to feed the crimp into the crimp tool and magnifying glass to insert the wire into the crimp. Wire size becomes an issue, had to solder smaller gauge wires to the thermistor and the tap optical sensor in order to get a proper crimp. Let's not mention inserting the crimp into the connector. The location of the heater cartridge port at the back of the module makes for poor wire routing. I'd be looking at the Mellow SB module as an alternative with better JST connectors and connection layout.

Oh and out of the blue, the BTT module went up in smoke while printing!! Luckily I had a replacement on hand.

Smokekit2.jpg.9e9cfc24a8d764a6b850948def046e50.jpg

Canbus has been so much fun 🤢

Another thing that isn't mentioned in any documentation when converting to Canbus is extruder PID will not save to an "include" file. 🥺 Also inverting a function requires that the "!" be placed here instead of before the pin number "pin: !EBBCan: PB5"

Edited by PFarm
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, PFarm said:

Oh and out of the blue, the BTT module went up in smoke while printing!! Luckily I had a replacement on hand.

Smokekit2.jpg.9e9cfc24a8d764a6b850948def046e50.jpg

Canbus has been so much fun 🤢

🤣 I note it's a Lucas service part. I also note the appropriate cars in the photo.

You're still not convincing me to get any closer to Canbus. Sounds much more like Cantbus.

• Haha 3

Got this error mid-print today.

Screenshot2023-06-27at10_16_06AM.thumb.png.b52b65579c18feb13a4ac97859db32c8.png

The only thing that changed is I got a second USB camera up and running. So I assume it put an extra load on the CB1 which the EBB MCU didn't like. I unplugged the camera and restarted the print finger-crossed.

What is the maximum chamber temperature? Mine is in the low 60C range and the EBB is at 94C. I'd removed the exhaust fan to install the umbilical thru the back. Do I need to re-install it to regulate the chamber temp?

UPDATE: was definitely the webcam cause this error never came back up.  

Edited by PFarm

Input shaper, never done it do I follow the Nero3d guide to set it up and test with the onboard ADXL 345 of 2209? If I look at the Axis arrow and the way the PCB is mounted on the SB X reading would be on the Y-Axis and Y readings on the X-Axis when reading results on the input shaper test is that correct? Until I change the hot end to an HF I'm not sure I could print any quicker without losing quality it printing at 150mm/s @ 13.3 mm3/s Dragon's regular flow is max out at 15 mm3/s.

Screenshot2023-06-27at1_57_13PM.thumb.png.c0992cc25400ae0b404d30e09c65c9b5.png

Edited by PFarm

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2023 at 7:07 AM, PFarm said:

A note regarding the BTT SB2209/2240 Canbus module the "micro" JST connectors are a pain to install especially with fat fingers and poor eyesight. Had to use tweezers to feed the crimp into the crimp tool and magnifying glass to insert the wire into the crimp. Wire size becomes an issue, had to solder smaller gauge wires to the thermistor and the tap optical sensor in order to get a proper crimp. Let's not mention inserting the crimp into the connector. The location of the heater cartridge port at the back of the module makes for poor wire routing. I'd be looking at the Mellow SB module as an alternative with better JST connectors and connection layout.

100% agree. Even though I got it done, still not completely happy with the quality. 

I'm considering getting the new version with the RP2040 stepper which also has bigger JST XH connections.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got one as well. Case not as fancy as yours. Mainly got mine to scan the the front console of a Ford Everest to make a fitted phone holder. Have not gotten to it yet.

IMG_5051.thumb.jpeg.96a2db3fd6a345d6cdead506d0720381.jpeg

Would be interested to see some of your projects with this.

• Like 1

My luck with electronics sucks! Tried to set up the scanner today when I plugged the power supply in I heard a pop with nothing plugged into it, metered the end of the cable and had no power 😞 Email sent for a replacement.

IMG_1674.thumb.JPG.b30712d86d83fbc6c12e493ca455e813.JPG

Edited by PFarm
  • Sad 2

Updated the case lights today from WS2812 to SK6812 which has the white LED.  Added a row over top of the doors as well. These are a lot brighter and light up the bed nicely. Also moved the bed fans to the center under the heated plate that position heats up the chamber quicker them when I had them on the sides, and added fan guards to both fans.

UPDATE: New power supply is being shipped for the scanner.

IMG_1699.thumb.JPG.d042634bb8d6e979f2b7bc34c4ec30f7.JPG

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I want to print PLA for the first time with the 2.4 so the question is the start_macro would need some lines commented out. How do I handle that without going through the start_macro and commenting things out?

Edited by PFarm

9 hours ago, PFarm said:

I want to print PLA for the first time with the 2.4 so the question is the start_macro would need some lines commented out. How do I handle that without going through the start_macro and commenting things out?

You could add << MATERIAL=[filament_type] >> at the end of the start_macro call in your slicer and then put the ABS specific parts within an IF statement.

gcode:
    {% set MATERIAL = params.MATERIAL|default('ABS')|string %}
    {% if MATERIAL == "ABS" %}
        HEAT_SOAK
    {% endif %}
  • Like 3