My first Voron

Stadi

Now that it's been a few hours and I didn't use any screw lock, I decided to do a revision. What is being done:
- Rebuild Z-Drives with nylon carbon printed parts
- Complete gantry rebuild with printed nylon carbon parts and pin mod
- Z limit switch is exchanged for a sex bolt because the nozzle has already pulled the pin out twice

I'm considering replacing the Moons steppers with Stepperonline, find the Moons quite loud at times, I've had Stepperonline in my Anycubic for a while and I'm very happy with it, what do you think about it?

51 minutes ago, Stadi said:

I'm considering replacing the Moons

I am using moons always and with the right speeds they are quiet, I have used Ldo ones but they seemed louder to me.

when are they loud to you? I expect during Z moves as homing, etc?

during printing they should be whisper quiet.

It's quite noisy during z-moves, but that would be OK
What bothers me is that it is quite loud at certain speeds in XY when printing. but it is definitely speed dependent, at other, faster speeds it is quiet again. Changing the driver currents brought no change. It could also be that it doesn't come from the engines, but rather there are resonances from something. My thought was simply that if I disassembled it again, I would also install higher-quality motors.

I’m printing mostly on 45 degrees, as a default, takes more space but is quieter, and should be smoother, less vibrations.

higher speeds are quieter for sure, everything between 40-90 has chances of resonating lower or higher doesn’t.

no experience with stepperonline.

printer I have build are extreme quiet, except for the first one I did, I think it had to do with gantry building, it was a little forced where later builds were more relaxed mounted and way quieter.

I like the moons, what can I say 😂 never left me down yet.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, claudermilk said:

I'm happy with my StepperOnline AB motors. Not super quiet, but not noticeably loud either. No more than the LDO Z motors.

My Experience as well. In the 2nd V0 build, I used Moons motors as they came with the kit - to be honest - not a noticeable difference. But then I could be deaf because wifey complains about the printer noise 🙂 

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Buurman said:

I’m printing mostly on 45 degrees, as a default, takes more space but is quieter, and should be smoother, less vibrations.

higher speeds are quieter for sure, everything between 40-90 has chances of resonating lower or higher doesn’t.

no experience with stepperonline.

printer I have build are extreme quiet, except for the first one I did, I think it had to do with gantry building, it was a little forced where later builds were more relaxed mounted and way quieter.

I like the moons, what can I say 😂 never left me down yet.

Of course, that could also be the case with me, that the gantry is not 100% relaxed, although I think I was very careful. Since the gantry is being rebuilt with new printed parts, there may be a change here.

I have to say it was really good and necessary that I disassembled it. The following came to light:
- the pulleys of the Z-Idler rubbed slightly on the holder for the LED profiles
- The deflection rollers of the A/B drives have so little clearance that they have rubbed against the cable covers of the profiles.
- Since I didn't use any screw lock, a pulley on the A/B motor slipped a bit, which caused the belt to suffer.

Now I've changed all the printed parts of the gantry for nylon carbon ones, everything in the pinned version, swapped the front idlers for the ramalama mod, and replaced the cable covers with black tape so that the cables are tucked away.

I'm amazed at how well the Voron printed despite all the mistakes and I'm excited to see the print results when he's back together

20230101_224439.thumb.jpg.e58c9ef89065849660227d5cee75ed72.jpg

20230101_224639.thumb.jpg.26405f55b99fff530193fdfa14bdfc32.jpg

25 minutes ago, Stadi said:

a pulley on the A/B motor slipped a bit

My guess is that mainly this would have effect on your prints...  the other things are bad, for sure, but i dont think it necessary made quality issues, yet.. sure it would cause damage over a while! 

But lets see, for sure a good thing to start over again!! and it will have effect I am sure!

Did you get the pins in easily, since carbon really doesnt want to give an inch..  

I also have that one pulley fits easy on a pin, the next pin not.. they do slightly differ in thickness.. 

Rubber hammer does wonders btw and my new magnet/pulley pliers

I cut the Pins to length myself and used these rods: Link

The rods have a diameter of 4.97mm (+/- 0.01mm) and go well in the bearings. I had hardened 5mm dowel pins for the front idlers that didn't go through the bearing at all.
The self-made pins fit perfectly into the carbon parts, not too tight and not too loose.
I used a small vice to put it together, you have a very good feeling when you press it. With the Hammer it can happen to you that the plastic bursts

It is complete again and the first print is made.
I have to say it was worth it, it now runs much more smoothly in both XY and Z. Whether it's due to the new printed parts, the pin mods or the stepper online motors, I can't say.
Because I have now installed a nozzle made of brass with a steel insert, I first have to find the right temperature again, I should consistently need 10-20° less

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After my mesh looked like this, I started looking for the cause

MAP.thumb.jpg.fb585c20f2bc754053a8d0e7c4dd959a.jpg

Tabelle.jpg.809f0bc5336e06c9ba3f8065cd89f46a.jpg

At first I suspected the aluminum plate from Formbot in connection with the magnetic foil.
So I invested again and got myself an aluminum bed with integrated magnets, a great part but unfortunately the mesh hasn't improved much.
Finally, I put a straight edge on the X-Rail and noticed that it had a small drift upwards in the middle. So I loosened all the screws apart from the two outer ones, tightened the machine a little and re-meshed it:

MAP-neu.thumb.jpg.50e8d1712ab30f35a8cb06acadd2dcac.jpg

I think that's the way to work🤗

• Like 2