Enraged Rabbit Project

mvdveer

33 minutes ago, Buurman said:

Today I will try to fine tune the friction, and see if my extruder call pull it without slipping/triggering clog warnings.

The more loops you have, the more friction, so @mvdveer you may consider 3 loops, instead of 4 if possible.

I will otherwise start .. cant believe im saying this... This project... single loop.

https://github.com/jseriff/printable-single-buffer

image.thumb.png.94f493e37ec2334e7c64df2205169e55.png

...This project looks great!  I was just slicing up the 'Quiver' to print but this might be the one! 

1 hour ago, StalkS said:

I know @Buurman is using the larger Nema 17 stepper so I might have to switch to that one. 

Well, I found it kinf noisy, so I switched to the same pancake version to test. Eventually founf out I had to take out tension on the belt, and now it runs way smoother, so, dont put too much tension on the belt, keep it casual.. 😛 

And found this buffer also, same kind, but fits on the back of V2.

https://github.com/SkiBikePrint/ERCF_Mods/tree/main/Carrot_Quiver_Buffer

image.png.c8cee306794b7f25471000fbad27a3b2.png

1 hour ago, StalkS said:

Would you be able to share the  'FILAMENT DRIVE GEAR STEPPER' section from your ercf_hardware.cfg as you are using the same Moon pancake Stepper?

You had those high accelerations on your GEAR stepper? 

The numbers you mention are the defaults for the SELECTOR stepper, the GEAR stepper is default 50/400

[tmc2209 manual_stepper gear_stepper]
uart_pin: ercf:PA8
uart_address: 0
interpolate: True
run_current: 0.5			# NEMA17 motor
#hold_current: 0.1			# Can be small
sense_resistor: 0.110
stealthchop_threshold: 999999		# 999999 to enable stealthChop

[manual_stepper gear_stepper]
step_pin: ercf:PA4
dir_pin: ercf:PA10
enable_pin: !ercf:PA2
rotation_distance: 28.982		# Bondtech 5mm Drive Gears. Must be manually verified and tuned.
gear_ratio: 80:16 #80:20 default setting
microsteps: 16 				# Recommend 8 or 16. Try both to avoid Klipper 'Timer too close' error (also try adjusting num_moves)
full_steps_per_rotation: 200		# 200 for 1.8 degree, 400 for 0.9 degree
velocity: 50
accel: 400

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StalkS said:

Would you be able to share the  'FILAMENT DRIVE GEAR STEPPER' section from your ercf_hardware.cfg as you are using the same Moon pancake Stepper?

Here it is:

# FILAMENT DRIVE GEAR STEPPER  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Adapt accordingly to your setup and desires
# The default values are tested with the BOM NEMA14 motor
# Please adapt these values to the motor you are using
# Example : for NEMA17 motors, you'll usually set the stealthchop_threshold to 0
# and use higher current
[tmc2209 manual_stepper gear_stepper]
uart_pin: ercf:PA8
uart_address: 0
interpolate: True
run_current: 0.5			# NEMA14 motor
hold_current: 0.1			# Can be small
sense_resistor: 0.110
stealthchop_threshold: 0		# 999999 to enable stealthChop

[manual_stepper gear_stepper]
step_pin: ercf:PA4
dir_pin: !ercf:PA10
enable_pin: !ercf:PA2
rotation_distance: 22.7316868		# Bondtech 5mm Drive Gears. Must be manually verified and tuned.
gear_ratio: 80:20
microsteps: 8 				# Recommend 8 or 16. Try both to avoid Klipper 'Timer too close' error (also try adjusting num_moves)
full_steps_per_rotation: 200		# 200 for 1.8 degree, 400 for 0.9 degree
#
# Uncomment if you want to use sensorless SELECTOR with the ERCF EASY BRD (yes, this is on the gear stepper!)
# This should be the pin of the physical selector endstop and is used to determine the difference between the true
# endstop and a blockage preventing selector movement. Don't forget to set 'sensorless_selector: 0' in ercf_parameters.cfg
# endstop_pin: ^ercf:PB9	# Comment if using physical endstop switch (default)                                                       ;commented out 19/03/23

• Like 1

Thanks both!

I cannot get anywhere near the defaults of  

without the Moons MS17HD7P408A-01 stepper locking up and whining

accel: 200

Works around 95% of the time during the ERCF_CALIBRATE_ENCODER routine - but does sometimes still freeze - could it be TMC driver related do you think?

2 hours ago, StalkS said:

Thanks both!

I cannot get anywhere near the defaults of  

without the Moons MS17HD7P408A-01 stepper locking up and whining

accel: 200

Works around 95% of the time during the ERCF_CALIBRATE_ENCODER routine - but does sometimes still freeze - could it be TMC driver related do you think?

Seems like the same motor I have, I had no issues, BUT... Look at a few post ago on how to finetune your gates. Seems to make things a lot smoother, I still need to try it, but its all about friction/drag I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buurman said:

After seeing this... I am really thinking... WTF are we doing??

WAY better technology, less bowden tubes (only 1) and looks so much better.. still buffer is needed I guess..

image.thumb.png.1494eceb5cded2d3b26bece680fa0c03.png

Too Easy!! 😉 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Buurman said:

Seems like the same motor I have, I had no issues, BUT... Look at a few post ago on how to finetune your gates. Seems to make things a lot smoother, I still need to try it, but its all about friction/drag I think.

Below is the finetuning info from Discord you mentioned a while back, it actually makes a lot of sense to do it this way, my settings did change and the readings do seem to be improved (see below). 

Unload direction: mean=759.00 stdev=0.00 min=759 max=759 range=0
Load direction: mean=759.00 stdev=0.00 min=759 max=759 range=0

From Discord

MarcellK: actually, to find a good spot
	- moved selector in position
	- loaded some filament manually
	- moved the selector to the left as much as the filament allowed
	- ran ERCF_CALIB_SELECTOR tool=N and noted the value
	- moved the selector to the right, and ran the same again
	- calculated the average that I set as selector position.
It's so smooth now 

So basically, take the two readings (left & right) add them together and then divide by two!

I'll try ramping up the Velocity & Acceleration again & report back.

• Like 2

Seems this is going to take a lot of time tuning. Had a successful first color change and then ....... filament did not load - got stuck at the gate.

16 hours ago, StalkS said:

Below is the finetuning info from Discord you mentioned a while back, it actually makes a lot of sense to do it this way, my settings did change and the readings do seem to be improved

I'll be doing this then and see if it improves the loading.

However, it will have to wait as I will be away for the next 10 days.

Work work work......

• Sad 1

I have been experimenting to see how I can lower friction when loading filament on the full path, where my extruder just cant pull it anymore and I get pauses, grinding, etc...problems..

So I felt by hand what part of the filament path had most resistance... and by far this was the first part (seen from the spindle) the half round to get into the buffer. I have used 2.5mm ID PTFE (aliexpress PTFE maybe) tube.

Replacing this part with original Capricorn TF (I think or XS) tube 2/1.9mm ID made a huge difference, way more than I expected.

The part inbetween the feeder and the buffer, I felt I coudnt replace that with 2mm ID, since it may get stuck, so what I did as experiment, I only placed a small part (4/5cm) of 2.5mm ID tube in the Feeder and and a same small part of 2mm ID on the buffer side, so the filament is open inbetween, my guess is, this also will get friction down a bit, and gives me the ability to cut the filament in between if needed with the unloading.

I will be testing other PTFE tubing to the extruder itself, this has to be 2.5mm ID, so no Capricorn available, thats really a shame, since this bowden tube is amazing smooth..  

But I have a good feeling so far... 

EDIT UPDATE: The last part is a bad idea of course (I realise now) since with the filament eject, it can come out in between the ERCF and the buffer.. so.. that doenst work, you need a closed system. But ok, on this part I guess there is not much friction, its a short straight tube.

20230420_161900851_iOS.jpg

20230420_161909398_iOS.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Buurman said:

I have been experimenting to see how I can lower friction when loading filament on the full path, where my extruder just cant pull it anymore and I get pauses, grinding, etc...problems..

So I felt by hand what part of the filament path had most resistance... and by far this was the first part (seen from the spindle) the half round to get into the buffer. I have used 2.5mm ID PTFE (aliexpress PTFE maybe) tube.

Replacing this part with original Capricorn TF (I think or XS) tube 2/1.9mm ID made a huge difference, way more than I expected.

That's interesting. Way back in early days with my Trident I was having feed issues and after yanking the fancy Capricorn out and replacing with simple 2.5mm PTFE a lot of the resistance went away. I've also been told that the really clear stuff isn't actually PTFE; the cloudy white translucent stuff is the actual PTFE tube--which is what I'm running now.

• Like 4

On 4/21/2023 at 3:21 PM, claudermilk said:

That's interesting. Way back in early days with my Trident I was having feed issues and after yanking the fancy Capricorn out and replacing with simple 2.5mm PTFE a lot of the resistance went away. I've also been told that the really clear stuff isn't actually PTFE; the cloudy white translucent stuff is the actual PTFE tube--which is what I'm running now.

I am running the clear stuff, so, good chance thats why I have that much resistance, even though its Ali PTFE 😛 

5 minutes ago, StalkS said:

Update on the Carrot Quiver - It's been a long couple of nights printing but I finally have two towers - Just waiting on rest of the parts to come in from China before the journey continues!

Now that looks sexy. Like what I see. Will be interested in the functionality. Hope those parts arrive soon. Hurry up Postie!!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Back at it - have a little downtime so I thought I would progress on this. I do have a RatRig V-Minion kit staring at me and a Tried planned. BUT - Not before I get this thing going!

Build Manual - ERCF No sensor Manual ( P 114 - 125)

Decided to revisit this section again and re-entered the setup - created a new profile in SuperSlicer (Had a quick look and it does not seem the Orcaslicer has multi extruder capabilities - may be wrong).

Filament Tip Tuning:  Reread the section a couple of times and certainly missed a few crucial steps. Thus here we go again. Hopefully I will get it right this time. Good reminder: More haste, less speed. Going to follow the advice in the manual and load the Prusa MMSU2 profiles and filaments as a starting point.

image.thumb.png.7907c35da5bde6b5ec364fcad764793e.png

Let's go!

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 5:14 PM, mvdveer said:

Decided to revisit this section again and re-entered the setup - created a new profile in SuperSlicer (Had a quick look and it does not seem the Orcaslicer has multi extruder capabilities - may be wrong).

Isn't it in adding another filament? The + to the right of the Filament section title. At least that's the impression I get for that, and I've only just barely started playing with Orca Slicer.

7 hours ago, claudermilk said:

Isn't it in adding another filament? The + to the right of the Filament section title.

That does add filament though there are values in the "Single Extruder MM setup" section , I cannot find. Also in the printer setup - one cannot add a Prusa MMU printer as the option is not there. Will do a bit more research on this and get back to the group.