Enraged Rabbit Project

mvdveer

Build Manual Page 1 - 8

Introduction to the Carrot feeder, Print settings and more importantly the nomenclature used to describe parts.

Example: Part_a_x_N - means you need to print as many as the amount of filament blocks you are going to use.  Whereas Part_a_1 means it is the first in a series. If you have 6 blocks then you will print Part_a_1, Part_a_2, etc

Me as my normal self, jumped into printing without reading the manual properly - so some double up on the printing.

The most important part though is the calibration tool. Make sure to get this spot on - from all the videos I have watched (Nero3D and Steve's Build), there is very little margin for printing errors.

Mechanical parts:

IMG_3944.thumb.jpeg.c97551c5eb45319efaed3a2d0856be5a.jpeg

Accent Parts:

IMG_3945.thumb.jpeg.5278c108c897d72afa6c51d22d9a8f24.jpeg

Main Parts:

IMG_3946.thumb.jpeg.be716aa0c29bb11c0270959a410fe9c6.jpeg

Page 7 outlines all the pages where heatserts will have to be inserted. So you can do them all at once. Good to get that out of the way.

On to the build.....

Next:  Filament blocks

• Like 2

Build Manual Pages 8 - 12 Filament blocks.

In assembling these filament blocks, again realised how impoertant it is to have these parts printed on a well tuned printer.

Everything just fit together so perfectly nice.

Was a pleasure to build.

IMG_3948.thumb.jpeg.6225911e7a80ac562657dca9e51a5e4b.jpeg

Next Up Top Covers

• Like 3

Build Manual Page 13 - 15 Top Hats

Well despite seeing Nero3D breaking one during assembly, I followed suite - broke one!. Luckily does not take long to print another.

Assembly made me again wonder marvel at the design and engineering that goes into these parts. Everything just fitted like a glove to a hand.

IMG_3960.thumb.jpeg.aab4721f9a6a24185534b2fca00d9af7.jpeg

Next Gearbox....

• Like 2

Build Manual Page 16 - 34 Gearbox

Gearbox done with the standard Nema 14 motor (only doing 6 filament blocks) I know many a ERCF builder has eventually swapped this out for a Nema 17 motor. I have printed the files for Nema17, should I wish to change in future. For now though - Nema 14. Doing all the heatserts before starting the build was a wise option and allowed me to progress with the actual build.

IMG_3979.thumb.jpeg.57df6993a87750e622f42dc534b9a21e.jpegIMG_3981.thumb.jpeg.a66f692ef79051858a36690283734c83.jpeg

IMG_3980.thumb.jpeg.e312d8330c96baa71897e3ae6bca66c2.jpeg

Next bottom Blocks

• Like 4

Love it, very interested in this build since I also want to build one soon... 

I think the filament change process is far from ideal though.. when it takes lots of time and costs quite some filament..  some prints needing hundreds of filament changes during a single print.. so, its surely for the fun of it, not so much the efficiency...

I just think its a fun/challenging build!!! thanks for sharing it with us!

PS. what kit are you using?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maurici said:

want to be able to print supports attachment layers with water soluble PV filament.

Back to what @Buurman was saying, I don't think it would even be approaching efficient/sensible for that particular use case. You'd end up with so much of the soluable stuff in a purge block. You probably want dual extrusion for a use case like that, if not a E3D chimera setup (if they even make that anymore) then IDEX.....not that I'm pushing for another build diary or anything 😉

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, smirk said:

Back to what @Buurman was saying, I don't think it would even be approaching efficient/sensible for that particular use case. You'd end up with so much of the soluable stuff in a purge block. You probably want dual extrusion for a use case like that, if not a E3D chimera setup (if they even make that anymore) then IDEX.....not that I'm pushing for another build diary or anything 😉

You think so? soluble material would only go in the interface layer... that is... what? 3 or 4 changes in a normal print? I do it by hand pretty often, but I would love to be able to leave it printing and not having to babysit the layer changes.

I can´t move away from my extruders for polycarbonate... I´ve not tried absolutely nothing other than my two Biqus that will extrude at 350/360deg in a reliable way for long periods of time. (under 70quid each and common spares).

Edited by Maurici
  • Like 1

3 or 4 changes in a normal print?

For those cases its perfect... 

But prints like a spiderman bust (chest?) in 4 colors, I have seen over 1000 filament changes... crazy, that must have taken days... and a full printer with filament shit..

• Like 1

soluble material would only go in the interface layer.

Ah, I hadn't thought about it just being the interface layer. That's sensible. That would minimise what gets dumped into the purge block. Suppose I'm showing natural biases, whilst I find the filament changing interesting and "cool", I'm always horrified at the waste (both time and materials) and think things like IDEX are better (granted at the mechanical complexity cost). Guess it's like all things YMMV.

10 hours ago, Buurman said:

what kit are you using?

I bought a Funsor kit when I first self sourced my first Voron 2.4r2 back in 2021/22. As per advice on this forum (thanks @Poisson) , I upgraded the servo motor (MG90S) from the kit. Got one from the local RC Hobby shop. Also don't need the toolhead sensor as the new version does all this throught the software now.

8 hours ago, Maurici said:

I´m only after a 2 blocks thingy, I want to be able to print supports attachment layers with water soluble PV filament.

Why don't you build a Tridex - will work very well indeed for this purpose. (But then, it is a whole new build) Don't know how easy it would be to convert an existing build though. I am building this just for the fun of it and the challenge of getting it to work.

Thanks for following

10 hours ago, Buurman said:

some prints needing hundreds of filament changes during a single print.. so, its surely for the fun of it, not so much the efficiency...

I used to do some bicolor printing with a Creality CRX. One toolhead with dual extruders. And you are right, the purge blocks do get big. From what I have read, the algorythms (Happy Hare software - thanks again to @Poisson for pointing this out) have changed for the purge routine on the ERCF and filament wastage has been decreased. Still a lot of valuable filament being used to build a block for the waste bin.

8 hours ago, Maurici said:

I want to be able to print supports attachment layers with water soluble PV filament..

From what I have read, this is not recommended as you have suboptimal mixing in the toolhead with normal purging routines of the ERCF. Your soluble filament purge will need to be increased, as well as the purge for the color used after this. Will increase filament waste.

20 hours ago, mvdveer said:

So far so good - enjoying this very much

Cant help it to be jealous!!! shall I order a kit right now??? (or wait 45 seconds...)

PS.. its not ENGAGED rabbit... but .. ENRAGED!!! 😛 

image.png.da92f270fd4e7668744e93eb5d4d213c.png

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Buurman said:

From what to what?

From the kit - Chinese no name brand towerpro imitation MG90S to the Savox SH-0255MG Servo Micro Size Digital Servo (as recommended by @Poisson) Only $29AUD from local Radio Control Hobby shop. I do have genuine towerpro servo's that I used in the switchwire for retractable clicky. Did not feel like rebuilding this thing should that to be a problem.

4 hours ago, Buurman said:

PS.. its not ENGAGED rabbit... but .. ENRAGED!!!

Whats the difference between a G and R when we all friends 🤔

• Like 1

Here is the difference between the one from the kit and a geniune Tiankongrc MG902.(Similar to towerpro)  Not difficult to spot the different. One has A metal gear, the other has ALL metal gears. The one on the left came with the kit.

IMG_3983.thumb.jpeg.5f33fb463791b6acf12fd6e177cbd8ab.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, mvdveer said:

Whats the difference between a G and R when we all friends

Well woudnt that be fGiends then? 😛  ah just wanted to make sure you know you are working on a wild beast!!! 

• Haha 1

• mvdveer changed the title to Enraged Rabbit Project