Voron TAP - New No probe mod from the Voron Design Team

mvdveer

14 hours ago, Buurman said:

But... (and I seen this clickable nozzle also on the newest Prusa, I do think, for someone who doesnt try to print on extreme speeds... pretty awesome!

I,m not into speed, more quality. Speed = stress and mistakes in my world. Printing at 100mm/s and maximum acceleration at 4000. Depending on what I want to achieve with the print , I will slow the speed down to 80mm/s

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buurman said:

Ones they release STL's someone will let me know right? 😛 hahahaha! im ready!

Of course we will. Hopefully in two weeks time. Keeping an eye on the repo and discord channel

A custom piece like that might ultimately work better, but it flies in the face of one of the design parameters the Voron team has set for themselves: no custom machined parts. Aside from the printed parts everything is off-the-shelf.

For a community mod sure, go for it, but the official team won't go that route.

16 minutes ago, claudermilk said:

A custom piece like that might ultimately work better, but it flies in the face of one of the design parameters the Voron team has set for themselves: no custom machined parts. Aside from the printed parts everything is off-the-shelf.

For a community mod sure, go for it, but the official team won't go that route.

Well erm...... that's not a "custom" part it is a €12.00 off the self part....

Not very custom

Edited by Calvinx

I know I don't make friends when I consider my 2 cent :

Is it nessesary to argue and complain about thing the voron team set as a goal and what the community wants?

Every even so small mod is a modification that is running beside the original Printer.

No matter if it is a self milled 500 Dollar Titanium (yes I know hard to mill its just a example) part or a 4 cent selprintet tiny something.

Could we pleas discuss the pro and contra and the usefulness of this "community mod" instead of argue about outplayed word definitions?

Thank you 😜

• Like 1

Let's take a breath. I stand corrected, that part isn't custom.

I am not on the team, so have no idea what they looked at or if they considered something like this and decided against it. From the looks of that part and a few other similar ones that came up from a couple of Google searches I would think likely size and weight constraints may have eliminated these from consideration. Again, there may very well be something small and light enough to fit the space constraints of retrofitting to the existing carriage and Stealthburner limitations. The team did mention during the stream that the weight penalty was about 40 grams. Which caused a bit of a stir amongst the gram-chasers.

On 11/13/2022 at 9:52 AM, claudermilk said:

That was an amazing livestream. I got my rail ordered from Fabreeko before they ended the stream. Got ahead of The Hug there. The primary optical sensor is out of stock at Digikey and shipping costs more than the sensor at Mouser. I'll wait for our favorite 3D Printing suppliers to add these to their catalogs.

I am totally doing this mod, especially in light of my recent struggles. The blob of doom that yanked the Klicky probe off its dock and fractured the tool head mount, Then the multiple attempts to get a solid replacement installed--finally have a good NlickyNG on there and spares printed. This should eliminate all that. 

From what I understand it also does away with the z endstop pin (or Sexbolt). Remove that point of failure since the toolhead itself will probe the nozzle on the bed itself. It should also eliminate "zed negative China" nozzle crashes.

I can live with the 2mm Y loss, and possibly regain at least some with the Sexbolt mount removed, allowing the bed to shift backwards a bit.

Chris,

I'll be watching how that turns out for you. I have had mixed results with Euclid on the 2.4. Probing accuracy has been somewhat "meh". I'm taking a wait and see approach on the TAP. Very interested tho.

4 hours ago, billbr said:

I have had mixed results with Euclid on the 2.4.

Glad it is not only me having issues with the Euclid. Recently replaced the receiver on the hottend and am getting better results overall.

5 hours ago, LukasM said:

Does anybody have the part number of the sensor handy?

The full BOM will be released on November 24th but the sensor if I listened correctly and jotted it down accurately, is OPTEK 990E51Z OPTEK 990T51Z 

Edited by mvdveer
Corrected sensor part number

This is super cool! My CR6 se uses the same concept. It's a bit more flimsy and suspends the hot end from a strain gauge. But touching the hot end of every print is just awesome combined with auto level. 

The linear bearing idea is neat and definitely accessable to 3d printer Builders. I wonder if they considered flexures used in the precision measurement industry. Here is a good example of what I'm talking about. But then again I was in the CAD chair while designing so I don't know what challenges they had to work around. Still a cool rabbit hole to go down. Look up Bax EDM if you are really ambitious 

Edited by Ducky4546
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mvdveer said:

OPTEK 990T51Z 

Just had a look on digikey.au, au.mousser and au-rs-online and these are on backorder, expected 22 December 2022. Mmmmmh.... Interesting or was there a surge in orders after the live stream?

Edit: Seems to be world wide:

image.thumb.png.e2798e6c2ac18785a86c56394445c51e.png

Edited by mvdveer
Added information

20 minutes ago, mvdveer said:

Thanks - ordered and went to check out - says 16 December - much the same as all the others.

I cant believe they would stick to a part thats so badly available, that annoys me enough to just wait for now. 

I feel like they would come up with a better available solution, when noone can build it because the parts are not in stock worldwide, I would call a slight.. F*ck*p. 😛 

• Like 1