Voron Replicator 2!

Ducky4546

Hey everyone my name is Tim. So this my first venture into the Voron ecosystem!

I had one of the original MakerBot Replicator 2x machines when they were brand new. It was cool but I had so much issues with bed adhesion and heat break clogging that I never really got to enjoy it much. That printer didn't even have a down draft fan oiy! Anyway I have been watching allot of you tube all about Vorons and dying to build one. I am also a stay at home Dad with a 3 and 5 year old. So finding an engineering project to chip away at is nice! I also always wished I had built a rep rap back in the day to learn every part of the machine. 

I coach our Local high school First Robotics team with my friend Joe. (We are team #4546 and my last name is like the duck. One of my students used to watch CSI and the name stuck) Joe bought a CR6-SE last season and has been running those printers not stop and making some pretty nice prints for a $350 printer. I after giving up on the old Rep2x hardware I picked up my own CR6 and installed a PEI sheet. It has the integrated nozzle probe via a strain gauge and it resets its Z just like the Voron printers. I was really happy how reliable it has been. Back to back 24hr prints with no complaints. I wipe the bed with alcohol and hit go. I barley watch the first layer with my current settings. But it is dang slow and I would like to print with more exotic materials (Green Duramatic PLA+ has been great for now)

I found a kit for a Voron M4 extruder and printed the parts out super rough. I thought it was going to stink but a few cleaned up holes and it is butter smooth. That got me excited and back on the trident gantry I had printed over the summer when the printer was new. I got my butt in gear and ordered  up the parts I was missing have begun mocking up how this thing is going to sit in this Maker Bot Replicator 2 chassis. I Currently have a mini stealth burner and Rapido hot and orbiter v2.0. I also had a Wifi Duet board I had purchased a while ago. So I might as well use the parts I have! Now I just have to decide how I'm going to mount the gantry and make a new cross bar or suspend it from the stock sheet metal. I am kind of treating it like an over grown V0 and It should look like a Replicator 2 from a distance when done but way more cool and fast! 

I have a bi metal heat break and enclosure ready to install to reprint the parts in ABS. It has been a lot of fun so far. I do want to build a 2.4 x 300 in the near future

Its cool to see this wacky idea taking shape!

PXL_20221112_124035797.jpg

PXL_20221112_114841257.jpg

PXL_20221112_114846088.jpg

PXL_20221110_180402732.jpg

PXL_20221110_180648475.jpg

Cr6.jpg

Edited by Ducky4546
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Ducky4546 said:

Its cool to see this wacky idea taking shape!

I can only echo @atrushing - wacky and brilliant.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for a great introduction. By now you know we like build diaries and I would encourage you to start one with the progress so far and then update the forum as you progress. Just love the thought of it all - innovation at its best. Looking forward to seeing much more!

I made some progress this morning on Fusion 360 once I got the kids off to school. My goals for today were:

1) Lock down the length of my linear rails. I got longer ones and I will need to cut them down. Don't worry I have a Tormach and lots of carbide in the shop. 

2) Investigate how much drop I am looking to have the gantry. 

-I measured the Z height (Stock Rep 2 is 6") when the gantry is flush to the to of the printer I came in at 6 7/8. The config below is Set to 33mm  right now.  

(Close to 7/8")

3) See how much interference the Y axis drag chain has with a modded V0 top hat

- I'm open to ideas on this one. I have a drag chain coming this week so I can mess with it in real life

- I have a few Ideas I just need to think about them some more. 

4) Make sure the front belt tensioners have the proper room. 

- I will need and access hole or or some type of extended knob to make that feature work. 

That's all for now. 

Capture2.thumb.JPG.fbf8b43274eec4cbdee6c567b065f893.JPGCapture3.thumb.JPG.a0160443e79ed8c3942fb4876a5d91a7.JPGCapture4.thumb.JPG.86a1d6ec01f67cee59dbbd216b0800f1.JPG

• Like 1

18 hours ago, smirk said:

Very, very nice!

No, I'm very jealous. 

Glad to see the project progressing. Your CAD solved a question I had bouncing around my head. My wife and I just started watching The Peripheral on Amazon Prime; in the show the main character works at a 3D Printing shop (think Kinko's or FedEx Office, or a mom & pop copy center but with 3D  printers instead). I couldn't figure out what printers they were using. Looks like either Replicators 2s or fake printers with cases inspired by them.

Yeah the after the Replicator 2 and 2x came out Flash Forge cloned it. The Dremel printer was also very similar. I'll have to check out that show on Amazon 👍

24 minutes ago, claudermilk said:

No, I'm very jealous. 

Glad to see the project progressing. Your CAD solved a question I had bouncing around my head. My wife and I just started watching The Peripheral on Amazon Prime; in the show the main character works at a 3D Printing shop (think Kinko's or FedEx Office, or a mom & pop copy center but with 3D  printers instead). I couldn't figure out what printers they were using. Looks like either Replicators 2s or fake printers with cases inspired by them.

Small update. Winter prep in NH and holiday planning slows you down. But I got the first version of the stretched V0 top hat printed. Green parts were done on my CR6 and the black were done on my friends new Bambu X1. Crazy how he did those in half the time at .18 layer height and 4 walls! 

Tomorrow's plan, mount the gantry for real and work on a top hat hinge design. It looks much better than the original bubble top the printer came with 👍

PXL_20221116_004633871.jpg

• Like 3

Today I got the CR6-SE printing abs! I swapped out the heat break for a Copper Bi-metal one and a knock off hardened nozzle. Then I mounted the very poorly printed M4 Bowden extruder I had put together. It surprisingly works great!

I also tossed the old roll of ABS and Cura for a new roll of Matter Hackers ABS and Prusiua Slicer. 

There were a few bed adhesion issues. But those were easily fixed with a thicker first layer and turning up the bed to 110c. There is one spot on all my prints that it would just not stick. Some acetone cleaning is in order I think. 

One more step forward 👍👍👍

PXL_20221121_045531589.jpg

PXL_20221121_045507693.jpg

PXL_20221121_033544041.jpg

The plot thickens Watson! So after my side tangent with the M4 PLA extruder. It is printing it's self new ABS parts. I ended up machining two aluminum spacers because the single printed spacer and one thing bearing was not working great. 

Anyway I popped the upper Pem inserts out of the Rep2 frame and made up some blind corner joints to mount the assembly. The only snag is the hot end can't reach the back of the build plate in Y but but can over shoot in the front. 

I have three options. 

1) Find a tool head with a smaller offset

2) Push the AB motors outside the enclosure by 20mm

3) Edit the carriage model and see if I can fid some space in there

PXL_20221122_202155798.jpg

PXL_20221122_174930892.jpg

IMG_20221121_203752_566.jpg

IMG_20221121_203752_637.jpg

PXL_20221122_142328196.jpg

Edited by Ducky4546
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ducky4546 said:

1) Find a tool head with a smaller offset

Here is about what the Trident/V2.4 gantry would look like with the toolhead being pushed back by 20mm..

2022-11-22-220020_1920x1054_scrot.thumb.png.88d076d6f75c8a4d236188b88bcff5f6.png

2022-11-22-223927_1920x1054_scrot.thumb.png.9286e4b86187c44375dfb74adb4b101e.png

There isn't much room left to work with and the motor would have to be rather high to clear the MGN12 carriage. I have been working on a modification of the HextrudORT that could almost work.

20221122_220547_002.thumb.jpg.ffa3b28efb511d6d91a55fec6d50c881.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atrushing said:

There isn't much room left to work with and the motor would have to be rather high to clear the MGN12 carriage. I have been working on a modification of the HextrudORT that could almost work.

Thanks for the side view with the offset! I'll have to mess with it some more when I get back from turkey day travel. I suppose I could also shift the bed maybe 10mm and the head 10mm. It's almost there! Then I have to do all the wiring oof. Have a happy Thanksgiving

Edited by Ducky4546

2 hours ago, Ducky4546 said:

I didn't realize the rat rig cooling fan was oriented to the YZ plane

It does line up the airflow from the blower to have a straighter path and less resistance.

I am getting ready for a V-Minion build so I'm trying to fit my Mini SB to the EVA back plate. If it works out I will let you know. It looks like the hardest part will be where to fit the bed probe.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 5:32 PM, Ducky4546 said:

Just have to work out the Z axis spacing

The Orbiter 2.0 sits rather low and doesn't leave any room for the block that mounts to the linear rail carriage. If you can raise the toolhead (or lower the gantry) by about 10mm then it looks like a modified EVA plate could be doable. The cable management would still need to be figured out.

2022-11-24-113050_1920x1054_scrot_.thumb.png.9a00ee7a3847242cd6c271a5d4160238.png

• Ducky4546 changed the title to Voron Replicator 2!