3rd Voron - a Switchwire this time

mvdveer

50 minutes ago, RopusLongus said:

Well seems I will stay for the omeron first. I hope it will detect the metal plate under the 2mm fr4.

But I have the servos anyway at home.

Had trouble getting the servo arm to retract after the probe attached. Seemed like the magnet keeping the probe in the dock outgunned the power of the servo trying to retract the arm.

Here is the assembly for interest sake

image.thumb.jpeg.cefe75a89c6ace74e920bf3a062673c9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.48ac6b7edbb246fe6a70ff48ec11eddb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7f3c395708cf88d9e4d4f02a665b897f.jpeg

9 minutes ago, RopusLongus said:

First look the magnets are to strong.

There are 2 diff types of the 3x6mm neodym. Dunno the magnet kg out of head but one has almost the double of power. If you get that one the arm cannot pull with this small servo.

Thanks for that - was not aware of this. Using an Euclid on the Voron2.4 and love it. Am going to eventually convert the switchwire to Euclid. In the interim, I might look into getting a less powerful magnet. Thanks for the heads up. 

Found these: 0.884kg

image.thumb.png.33a0c32b4519a0000f7cbfa69b9ea367.png

vs these with 0.9480

image.thumb.png.0da7fd82300a04200e125fadbf7fe03d.png

The BOM recommends: 

• 4x 6 mm x 3 mm magnets (N35 recommended)

Lesson: READ THE BOM!

See if I can source those.

Although N35 are 6mmx2mm.

image.thumb.png.8165051f7c53b0a181cac7f379c61446.png

Mmmmhhh?

1 minute ago, Simon2.4 said:

Thanks. The postage to Oz is more than the cost of the magnets. Will keep looking locally. Your efforts much appreciated. Shipping to Oz USD24

10 hours ago, Simon2.4 said:

isin't there an equivalent to digikey down under?

Yes there is a digikey.com.au, though their stock comes from the USA. Not locally sourced. There are many magnet suppliers locally - just need to find one that stocks this specific magnet.

image.thumb.png.5452aa4309ee8727032058730a29617d.png

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, smirk said:

Hmmmm....I think I can smell a new build diary.

You know me to well 😀 

As I have self sourced and build a V0, V2.4 and this damn Switchwire, I decided I need to experience a build from a kit and do a comparison. Have ordered Formbot kits for a V0, 2.4 and Trident.( @Buurman seems happy with these and I liked his builds) 

My original aim was to build one of each of the available Vorons, and may still do this. 

Got to finish this build first.

First print - no tuning. Now for some tuning, then a benchy. Enclose and serial application.

IMG_2844.thumb.jpeg.f2bf84630f8853afdea8b80a12f891a7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Voron FTW! 2

I know I'm happy with my v0 formbot kits. I think we're going to have to call you the George Lucas of Voron Build diaries Part XXVIII "Attack of the Vorons - A new hope as the PIs strike back". At least I know what I'll be reading for the foreseeable 🤣

• Haha 1

Only thing I can advise is upgrading it with a Stealthburner, not that it prints better perse, but it cools better, is a fun build and the LED's are great on your print under the nozzle.

Only advise it, dont buy a too cheap BMG kit, and you need a NEMA14 pancake motor.

This looks ok, no experience, not cheap..

And with the Clockwork2 choice, more space to hide wires! it already has a ADXL mount.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005004488813928.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.791f56afNAoHZB&algo_pvid=0679a919-3b28-408f-ad78-e9966dcbe995&algo_exp_id=0679a919-3b28-408f-ad78-e9966dcbe995-29&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000029334237400"}&pdp_npi=2%40dis!EUR!57.67!54.79!!!!!%402101d64d16629100007892798e24de!12000029334237400!sea&curPageLogUid=DEjsyaqkSRM3

8 hours ago, Buurman said:

Only thing I can advise is upgrading it with a Stealthburner, not that it prints better perse, but it cools better, is a fun build and the LED's are great on your print under the nozzle.

Yep - agree. The Voron 2.4 has Stealthburner already. Plan to do the same with this build. Current one has Bondtech LGX extruder but thinking of going CW2 on the next. Will do the pinned, front idlers, sexbolt, nozzle brush and Euclid/Clicky for autoZ calibration.

8 hours ago, Buurman said:

Where are you parking these things??

Study room. AS I build a Voron, I retire another - ready for sale. Voron 2.4 300x300 has replaced Ender 5., Voron 0 the flashforge and the Switchwire will replace Ender 3V2. The Voron coming is a 350x350 which will replace the Ender5 Plus, The Ender CX, I never liked and has hardly been used - will sell this on at some stage. 

Just having fun, keeping the brain active

8 hours ago, mvdveer said:

will sell this on at some stage

Surely that's like selling your children!!? There's probably more argument for selling the children. At least a Voron will love you unconditionally....or is that dogs? Hmmmm....I do always say the dog is the best chilld.

10 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Yep - agree. The Voron 2.4 has Stealthburner already. Plan to do the same with this build. Current one has Bondtech LGX extruder but thinking of going CW2 on the next. Will do the pinned, front idlers, sexbolt, nozzle brush and Euclid/Clicky for autoZ calibration.

Hope you like the CW2, but I woudnt see why not, prints just as wel, and maybe even better, just get good BMG parts.

I have Sexbolt in my first one, dont see really why, my others have the default pin, and works just as well, again, maybe even better, even though it sticks to the nozzle sometimes, but I never pulled it out, it always bounces back into its slot.

Dont forget front idlers mod, and I can advise the PIN versions of the Gantry mounts/motor mounts with R695 bearings instead of the teethed ones....... just saying...

• Like 1

I can recommend the CW2. It's all that's been on my Trident and while there were some teething pains, it's working great. Printing TPU as I speak--haven't touched the extruder from its usual PLA/ABS printer; I've had virtually no trouble not addressed with better slicing settings.

• Thanks 1

Seems this build is cursed. Having an awful lot of problems with the probe. First tried the quickdraw probe (successor to Clicky) and got inconsistent readings on whether the probe was triggered or not. The probe was directly plugged into the board. Switched this out to plug into the PCB with the same results.

Next up - Good old clicks. My o my - same results. Could the magnets of these probes not like the magnets in the build plate I thought. 

On to the inductive probe ---GRRRRRRRRR - Same results. Again plugged probe into PCB, then ran it directly to the board with a BAT diode, no change in the behaviour. Inconsistent probing, errors like probe triggered before move, etc etc. Could not get the Z-Offset set. Doing a PROBE_CALIBRATE one after the other will give a Z-offset of 3.465 the first time and straight after that a Z-Offset of 7.234.

Maybe it is the magnets in the build plate, shouldn't effect Quickdraw, Clicky or Euclid.

Well, going to change out the SKR 1.4 currently in the machine for a SKR e3 mini. Or should I just use an Octopus board - overkill, I know. Lets see what happens!

• Sad 2