3rd Voron - a Switchwire this time

mvdveer

Have all the hardware for the build - self sourced late last year. Looking at options and the escalation in postage costs, this I feel is no longer a viable way to go. Kits in the end work out much cheaper and that is the way I will go in future. Looking at kits on Formbot's Aliexpress store,  the delivery times to Australia is within 6 weeks. And the kits are approximately 500AUD cheaper than locally sourced kits from Formbot. Enough of this and on to the build.

Frame done and parts printing. As @Buurman, planning a few mods with the build and even though the Switchwire is not meant to be enclosed, it will be. Will be a slow build but definitely not as drawn out, as was the 2.4r2 build.

Lets start: -Individually self sourced parts

image.thumb.jpeg.08d7ff312099a5676f1a5b2eb64bb1e9.jpeg

Parts being printed on the newly build V2.4008. Color scheme will be Blue, White and Black.

image.thumb.jpeg.ccaa3f9c5c3a35448cc6b679edf7b78f.jpeg

Frame assembled: (Build on a mirror)

image.thumb.jpeg.bd49a5c55b482edfdf6086e95b77a5df.jpeg

And yes, I have a Raspi Pi4 and some spare:

image.thumb.jpeg.32284a13ad406ef5f7cb4a42485e8887.jpeg

@smirk I am not a hoarder - just plan ahead - you know for those rainy days.

• Like 2
  • Voron FTW! 1

3 hours ago, mvdveer said:

I am not a hoarder - just plan ahead - you know for those rainy days.

I think it's official, you're in trouble. The cheapest return flight to OZ that I can find is probably  just cheaper than I can get for your stash of PIs! I'm especially jealous of the 4GB models, we only see 2GB coming up at this side of the planet. Wonder if you could be causing a destablisation in the earth's rotation with all that excess RAM?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Buurman said:

will be following! good luck buddy

Thanks - printing in ASA. - thanks for your inspiration. Color choices suck!!! - especially here down under. All I could get was red, white, blue and black - thus blue white and black. Have enough red in the printer room already. Not talking about the wife's attitude towards my hobby either 🤣

• Like 1

A quick update as to where I am with the Switchwire build. It is a great feeling once you have finished a self sourced printer, knowing that the printer is yours from the start to the end. The only problem - you think you have everything till you get to in the build where you realise you have not. A simple thing such as drop in M3 T-nuts for a 3030 extrusion to mount the linear rails has halted my progress. Ordered the nuts on the 20th August express mail (next day delivery) from a local supplier. Today is the 23rd and still waiting.  

This is where I am at, until these T-Nuts appear.

image.thumb.jpeg.d6af93a28a9fc1f36d094b78ebed898f.jpeg

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, mvdveer said:

A quick update as to where I am with the Switchwire build. It is a great feeling once you have finished a self sourced printer, knowing that the printer is yours from the start to the end.

Isn't it though? 😁 It's also fun to get the reaction when you tell family/friends that. "Wait...wut? 🤯"

The upside when you discover there's a part missing is you know where to get them or how to find them. The downside is you only have yourself to blame and now you have to wait.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Must have been tired - printed AND assembled the wrong part. ARRRGH.......  Lesson learned - go to bed when you're tired GOM.

Belt path- teeth facing up:

image.thumb.jpeg.e7ae9c1aef38accc52633d218debcbf3.jpeg

X-Carriage - Belt teeth facing forward

image.thumb.jpeg.dd043a2d2b0be390be6521486c090764.jpeg

Printed the X_Frame_MGN12  instead of the correct X_Frame_SW.  Have to remind myself, this is a Switchwire NOT a 2.4

Correct part printed - X-carrige and toolhead mounted. Decided to use the Moron Probe and do the Euclid mod later - have to have something to do after this, don't I?Lets get onto the fun part - electronic. Oh yeah - still waiting for the keybak to arrive - should be here tomorrow. (Yet another oversight on my part- next build - a kit form of sorts)

simage.thumb.jpeg.5f37ab6238f651a5c40321a926663a9a.jpeg

Got a choice of toolhead. Have started switching to the e3d Voron range - (Voron 0.1 (Voron Revo) , V2 (Voron Revo) and a VZBot (Voron 6) all on these hotends) Should I stick to this or change.

I have on hand (unused):

Phaetus BMO,

e3dV6  

Rapido (read there are some issues with the current of these that can cause damage to the controller board, unless you add an external mosfett)

Mosquito magnum (though due to some practices from Slice Engineering, this is no longer supported by the Voron community, and I probably would not go this route)

and

Revo-voron

Have printed the printheads for all except the mosquito (none available and not supported).  The Revo series has already got the heater and thermistor wired - that would be an advantage. (less crimping). Well something to sleep on......

Edited by mvdveer

Nice choices of the hotend.

I hope it's OK to ask if your impressions are the same?

Mosquito ( I own a clone from Mellow) :

Nice high floe hotend but the biggest contra in my opinion is to cool it. If it runs you can print fast with it but it has tendency to clogg (last accident killed my non voron carrier almost)

Dragonfly BMO

Running it for 5 days now but I'm blown. Away from it,  it's not a super high hotend but has all a midflow/high flow one for normal use needs with the possibility to use a e3dv6 style hotend. No big changes if you use e3dv6 for pla and others and the BMO for Asa and such.

E3d hotend : common for all most all stuff with non super high sprint speeds *giggels*

• Like 1

Another thing coming up for me : when you finally set in the hotbed could You be so kind and measure how much space is between the end of the heatbed and the grill of the voron. I need that to decide where to place my X/Z frame.  Currently I think 50mm more forward will do it but looking at your picture I start thinking I could be wrong.

Thank you.

8 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Must have been tired - printed AND assembled the wrong part. ARRRGH.......  Lesson learned - go to bed when you're tired GOM.

Hahaha. I had my end brackets on the X rail backwards. All the little things you didn't notice when you thought you had it nailed show up when you run the belts. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, RopusLongus said:

tendency to clogg

Often. Even with a LGX extruder it does

has all a midflow/high flow

Agree, though never had a clog with one. I am not really into "speed printing" thus not a factor in choice

Before all the new choices I was using e3d V6.

Another thing coming up for me : when you finally set in the hotbed could You be so kind and measure how much space is between the end of the heatbed and the grill of the voron. I need that to decide where to place my X/Z frame.  Currently I think 50mm more forward will do it but looking at your picture I start thinking I could be wrong.

Thank you.

Surely - will do. Am teaching this weekend, so this may only occur some time next week.

8 hours ago, claudermilk said:

My vote is Revo, but I'm biased.

Think this is the way I will go. All other builds running Revo's without a hitch and the support from e3d is phenomenal. Had a heater cartridge fail on a Revo-voron. Contacted E3d UK, got an email response to troubleshoot (Lots of steps) which I did and returned the email. Had a replacement heater cartridge delivered in Australia 4 days later. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Had a replacement heater cartridge delivered in Australia 4 days later.

From the UK?! That's impressive, considering everything here is closing down/going on strike. Must be because you're a pillionaire.