Voron 2.4R2 350 build diary...maybe :)

cobretti

• 7 months later...
On 2/13/2023 at 7:55 PM, cobretti said:

I'm back for a "small" update - been a frustrating 2 weeks with the build and not having much time to troubleshoot. I left off with my hotend issue and the Rapido just would not play ball. Heatsink was replaced by vendor and clogging appeared to be resolved but then Klipper started reporting under voltage errors for the sb2240 MAX31865 (used with the PT1000). Went to BTT channel on discord and was suggested to use TH0 rather. After switching to using TH0 however the under voltage error moved to the TMC2240 chip for the extruder.

So I had 2 issues to deal with now.

1. The hotend:  For $42(compared to the $130 I paid for the rapido) I got the Bambulab  X1C full hotend kit. In pic below I already removed the fan so for the price this is a steal. Immediately after getting it installed in the SB things were better from that point of view - no clogging and extrusion tests were all good. This thing heats up even faster than the Rapido.

bambu-x1c.thumb.jpg.3f3bf289e8c08b8eef79f4a2ca97bb33.jpg

2. SB2240 errors: With hotend seemingly sorted I focused on the EBB SB2240 - was considering going back to using the EBB36 but really liked the 2 piece solution. One note if you do get this is the SB0000 module below has very long solder pins which makes it push up against the fan. Trim these and you will get a flush fit. It may also have been better if they had solder points instead of the duponts.

Back to the troubleshooting that kept me stuck. So the under voltage error reported now on the extruder (TMC2240 chip) was happening randomly and small test prints would sometimes complete and other times fail at varying points during the print with the same error - Error: GSTAT: 00000004 uv_cp=1 (undervoltage) 

After reviewing several threads on this error decided my crimp jobs were likely bad due to the use of the small 1.25 crimps on this SB2240 board. Bought this kit from Amazon and so much better than struggling to do them myself with short stubby fingers 😁

125crimps.thumb.jpg.fc1130a4f6c27c831b3e5732e0c5f704.jpg

Issue occurred less but still not resolved. Additionally tuning the extruder current (0.65 to 0.8) seemed to help a little as prints were completing more often but they were all small. I tried a 3 hour print and it failed at about 80% 😤. Yesterday realized i had not check the actual extruder motor connection. When measuring the resistance between the pairs noted that one pair would immediately give me a reading but the other pair seemed to randomly give reading. Sounds familiar right? Recrimped all 4 and after several resistance measuring tests and recrimps 🧐 I felt they were good. I have now had a few prints without an error and ready to try the bigger skirt prints.

success1.thumb.jpg.0eb92809f51958758f931b0d7f3212dd.jpg

Still lots of temporary stuff on the build as I am also considering different accent colors but only have PLA on hand, but this is the progress as it stands. Doors I printed 3mm hinges but I actually attached 3mm foam so will be reprinting those using the 6mm version. Oh I added the Nevermore as well.

nevermore.thumb.jpg.c6b6b3bdaace66b97c294233dae1fff0.jpg

sb0000.jpg

Hey Cobretti,

I am also struggling with the undervoltage error on the extruder motor.I am curious, did recrimping the motor wires fully solve the problem for you?

8 hours ago, Munchkin said:

Hey Cobretti,

I am also struggling with the undervoltage error on the extruder motor.I am curious, did recrimping the motor wires fully solve the problem for you?

Hi  - yes it did to an extent. Why I say to an extent is if you are using the BTT SB2240 it is a known issue for the undervoltage errors to occur. They actually replaced mine recently with a 2209 (even though the one support rep claimed i was out of warranty). If you go to the Voron discord and DM "BTT University" he should be able to help you better. Note I am still using the 2240 since I applied the changes and suggested TMC autotune fix on Esotericals github.