Voron 2.4R2 350 build diary...maybe :)

cobretti

Just now, smirk said:

Nb: those two samples had different bit rates, make sure all the bitbrates match

I used bitrate 100000

I got my uuid,appears I got klipper flashed to sb2209
I added the ebb.cfg updated with the uuid
I included the ebb.cfg in my printer.cfg
but I keep getting this error - 

mcu 'EBBCan': Unable to connect

Host update I do using Kiauh or direct from Mainsail console.

M8P update I do with bin file copied to sdcard

SB2240 update I do with USB-C cable from SB2240 to PC using STM32 software.

make menuconfig for the SB2240/2209

20230318_125416.thumb.jpg.73e25e827a718f8249c183fb65e31994.jpg

USB-C connection to laptop

image.jpeg.6ab32c0e5477e39004ab7e02747f6e46.jpeg

Before entering DFU (STM32 software)

20230318_125849.jpg.caf6bdb50cd100f0013dc0ad0b98fe28.jpg

After entering DFU

20230318_125922.jpg.0c24717eb8714599c5ccd96b8cf0da00.jpg

klipper.bin file copied to desktop and opened in STM32 software and hit download button.

20230318_125954.jpg.4eba8c01bece54993573d91606b7d93f.jpg

I do a power cycle after

Hmm... I didn't use the STM32 software.    Is there two ways of loading klipper to the SB2240/2209?

I connected the 5v jumper used usb from Manta M4P to the SB2209 - did the flash - unplugged and then moved the jumper from 5v to the 120 jumper.

Did you use the sample-bigtreetech-ebb-sb-canbus-v1.0.cfg

I noticed its different from the ebb36 cfg

10 minutes ago, 3dKaosMonkey said:

@cobretti  getting around to wiring mine up.... What does your toolhead have for Hotend/Thermistor and Z endstop?

I have a Revo voron and Tap... but I am not sure how those two get wired up on this little board.

I am currently running the Bambulab X1C hotend and TAP.

Originally was going to start with the Rapido but the MAX chip seems to have an issue on my SB2240 board. Awaiting a replacement board. That being said the X1C hotend has been working quite well so far.

I'm mid print now so will take a pic when its done.

You'll enjoy this build - I sure did, was fun. Eager to see the progress. Looking at the prints it looks like you are not doing the buffer array? Or are those handles and short clips just extras?

1 minute ago, mvdveer said:

You'll enjoy this build - I sure did, was fun. Eager to see the progress. Looking at the prints it looks like you are not doing the buffer array? Or are those handles and short clips just extras?

Thanks @mvdveer and yes unfortunately I had printed those first before I saw your post on the buffer array so they will not be used. Hoping I can get my delivery before the weekend so I can start the build.

• Like 1

Two options really - back mount or top mount. Unfortunately the desk my printers are on, does not allow for a rear mount, so top it was. (Just updated my build diary if you want to see the mounting).

Looks great in the traditional red and black Voron colors

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 4:29 AM, cobretti said:

So I have been a bit busy as a few parts came in last week and I got too impatient since I just wanted to see things in action 😁

Still waiting for build plate parts to do a final fit. Some early hours of the morning work meant alignment issues will arise 🧐

Had a frustrating issue with this Manta M8P board. On one hand I did not read carefully enough and on the other the manual wasn't exactly clear. I could not get my motors to move at all and wasted 2 nights trying steppers on different boards/different steppers/new klipper installs/multiple firmware rebuilds. I asked a question in discord on Klipper-BTT channel and someone noted the chinese manual differs a little from the translated english manual and I need to additionally set a jumper for each motor to indicate board power in use. It wasn't enough to just bridge the board power to motor power inputs as I did with my former SKR Pro board.

electrical.thumb.jpg.6ea43428e0fa693e046ab94fa7a905e6.jpg

After getting that resolved I next moved onto setting up the EBB36 board to use CAN on the Manta M8P board. Surprisingly this went smoothly. More time was spent reprinting SB housing to fit all of this. As you can see one more reprint will be required for rear door as I made a cutout after the fact. So the CW2 here uses the 2209 on the EBB36. Part and cooling fans connected and RGB for SB leds as well as Rapido using PT1000. The heatup speed of this hotend is crazy. The CAN wire I bought is too short so will need to replace.  The TAP I connected to the probe port using 5V. I am aware of the 24V issues so sticking with 5V.  

Hi,

how did you connected (both fw and sw) the toolhead with the manta?

I'm planning the same config (m8p + cb1 + ebb2209/ebb36) but I'm a little bit frustrated about it and the manual from btt is also not the best to understand. Do you have eventually a step-by-step guide?

1 hour ago, kopaszsop said:

Hi,

how did you connected (both fw and sw) the toolhead with the manta?

I'm planning the same config (m8p + cb1 + ebb2209/ebb36) but I'm a little bit frustrated about it and the manual from btt is also not the best to understand. Do you have eventually a step-by-step guide?

Unfortunately I don't have a detailed step-by-step and note that it is M8P V1.1 which supports CAN and I switched out the EBB36 for the EBB SB2240.

From what I recall:

1. I first loaded the BTT image onto the M8P board with CB1 attached using the USB connection (very important to pay attention to the use of the USB power jumper on the Manta board - REMOVE it before you connect 24V).

sb2240-vusb.PNG.f4eda555b737329f761d62b93f83f3c4.PNG

2. Get the CB1 image from BTT github. Wrote this onto sdcard similar to raspberry image prep and then booted with it (update the system.cfg file on the sdcard with your wifi settings if not using LAN port). Booted with that sdcard inserted on the manta SOC slot (it has 2 sd slots - the SOC and MCU-card).

3. Now you should be able to ssh to it if everything has gone well. You can now continue to install Klipper - at this stage I would say just install Kiauh and use it to install klipper, mainsail/fluid, etc. th33xitus/kiauh: Klipper Installation And Update Helper (github.com)

4. Once Klipper was installed I made a separate bin file for the CB1 MCU and the SB2240. Basically for the Manta I used CAN in bridge mode at 1M. The bin file generated for the Manta you will need to rename from klipper.bin to firmware.bin and install through the second sdslot on the Manta (MCU-card slot). Once you power cycle the manta that sdcard firmware.bin file should have been renamed firmware.CUR and you know it was successful.

5. You should now be able to get the MCU serial device id to update your klipper printer.cfg with. I started with the btt example cfg file for a manta and edited accordingly.

6. If Klipper is running without error on your manta you can start getting the EBB ready for CAN. Initial config I did over USB again. Your klipper config settings basically look like this if using SB2209/2240.

For Manta CAN:

manta-klipper.PNG.5ad2888f68ce13c36fd81474eaecdc66.PNG

For SB2209/2240 CAN:

sb2240-klipper.PNG.fd62420b23d6f0192135fb0853bcc520.PNG

7. Again I started with the BTT example klipper config file for the SB2209/2240 and updated with the CAN id. This assumes your physical CAN cable connection between Manta and SB are completed and if all goes well you should have a working setup.

Hope this kind of helps.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...