Orcaslicer

mvdveer

13 minutes ago, Penatr8tor said:

I can confirm that when I change from .4mm -> .6mm the Line Width values change with the nozzle size.

I don't think Cura has some special algorithm that changes the line width values based on nozzle size. Rather... I think Cura, and other slicers, are just loading a preset.

I would try adding a .6mm nozzle profile (of your printer) from the printer section (gear icon). I added a .6 V0 profile and all the values changed.

Thanks for that info @Penatr8tor.  When I change (add) a printer profile and under "extruder," I change the nozzle size, but nothing changes in the "Quality > Line Width > Default."  When I did this initially, I 100% expected that to change. 

Attached is a screenshot of the two windows side-by-side.  In case anyone is wondering my "Klipper Slowed Down" is a profile with the accelerations tamed down.  But, as you can see, there is not a correlation between line width and nozzle diameter in my OrcaSlicer. 

Screenshot 2024-04-20 095726.png

• Like 1

@7milesup That's because you need to change the "Printer" at the very top of the menu. If you look at the menu, starting from top to bottom, you have "Printer", then "Filament", then "Process". Changing the "Process" preset won't change your nozzle size... Changing the "Printer" preset will. 👍

image.thumb.png.ca22ca76c098575f68050d15bb312029.png

• Like 1

I have a physical printer definition for each printer and nozzle size. Then I have associated print definitions for each, sometimes a couple of different layer thicknesses. My line widths are defined in percentage, so it's a bit easier to copy from one to the other during setup.

Once that id done, it's pretty quick. I pick V0 0.15 nozzle and the default 0.08 thickness print setup comes up. If I want to go to 0.05 or 0.1, I just pick that and slice. Easy peasy (once all the tuning is done).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Penatr8tor said:

@7milesup That's because you need to change the "Printer" at the very top of the menu. If you look at the menu, starting from top to bottom, you have "Printer", then "Filament", then "Process". Changing the "Process" preset won't change your nozzle size... Changing the "Printer" preset will. 👍

image.thumb.png.ca22ca76c098575f68050d15bb312029.png

Isn't that what I am doing?  I will attach another screenshot.

At the "Printer," I am selecting my printer (Voron Beast with 0.6 nozzle in this case).  The "printer settings" dialog box comes up, and I change my nozzle to 0.6mm and hit the "save" button.  It says "save current machine" or something like that, so I hit "OK."   But there is no change under "Process" when I do that.  *scratching head*

@claudermilk  I believe that percentages would be the way to go.  I am assuming that you have to calculate the percentages initially.  For example, if the first layer of a 0.4 nozzle is 0.5mm, that is 125% of the nozzle size.  Therefore, if 125% is placed in the "Line Width > First Layer," it should automagically calculate a 0.75mm line width (which you wouldn't see in the interface since you set a percentage.  If so, did you change the settings under "Quality?"  I see for example that there is a "Quality > Wall Generator > First Layer Minimum Wall Width" which is currently (default) set to 85%.  Did that value need to be changed?  I am assuming not in that case.

I just want to say thanks for both of you chiming in here. Of course, this always seems to happen when I am under the gun to get a print done. I am currently printing some production parts for work due to... well, it's a long story. I need 500-ish of these parts by Tuesday morning, so my printer is running nonstop, but I figured that changing to a 0.6mm or 0.8mm nozzle would speed the whole process up.  Quantity over absolute quality is the driving factor at the moment.

Screenshot 2024-04-20 123005.png

On 4/20/2024 at 12:46 PM, 7milesup said:

Isn't that what I am doing?

Obviously not 😄

You need to change both the printer (yellow) and also the process (green) to .6mm nozzle preset.

image.thumb.png.95b6813f7038305709cfaf8ba3ae5775.png

To be clear... You or anyone can name any of the presets .6mm nozzle whatever and save it with .4mm values because there is no AI or algorithm that calculates default line widths in Orca, you select a preset and it's either right or wrong depending on whatever the values were set to when it was saved... I suspect that this might be what you're encountering because obviously, there's no official Voron Beast and that means that it wasn't created by one of the Orca Slicer contributors. 

Give this a try. Add a Voron 2.4 350 with a .6mm nozzle (I'm guessing this is what you Voron Beast might be) from the printer menu and take a look to see if your Line Width settings have changed.

At the very least you can take a screen grab of the numbers and plug them into your beast preset and save it and then when you change to that preset, it has the right values.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

To be clear... You or anyone can name any of the presets .6mm nozzle whatever and save it with .4mm values because there is no AI or algorithm that calculates default line widths in Orca, you select a preset and it's either right or wrong depending on whatever the values were set to when it was saved... I suspect that this might be what you're encountering because obviously, there's no official Voron Beast and that means that it wasn't created by one of the Orca Slicer contributors. 

Give this a try. Add a Voron 2.4 350 with a .6mm nozzle (I'm guessing this is what you Voron Beast might be) from the printer menu and take a look to see if your Line Width settings have changed.

At the very least you can take a screen grab of the numbers and plug them into your beast preset and save it and then when you change to that preset, it has the right values.

Okay, that makes more sense to me. I just did what you suggested by adding a Voron with a .8 nozzle width, and the settings did change. However, as you pointed out earlier, and I did not understand, changing the nozzle diameter in mine really doesn't do anything, i.e., there is no algorithm to make that change "globally" within OrcaSlicer. 

I also did not realize (or forgot) that under "Printer" there is a "Create Printer," which makes those changes. 

Obviously, I did not grasp how this works, so thank you for the clarification.  I had been using Cura and that program does make the global changes when you change nozzle sizes, so I was expecting the same here.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 7:46 PM, 7milesup said:

Isn't that what I am doing?  I will attach another screenshot.

At the "Printer," I am selecting my printer (Voron Beast with 0.6 nozzle in this case).  The "printer settings" dialog box comes up, and I change my nozzle to 0.6mm and hit the "save" button.  It says "save current machine" or something like that, so I hit "OK."   But there is no change under "Process" when I do that.  *scratching head*

@claudermilk  I believe that percentages would be the way to go.  I am assuming that you have to calculate the percentages initially.  For example, if the first layer of a 0.4 nozzle is 0.5mm, that is 125% of the nozzle size.  Therefore, if 125% is placed in the "Line Width > First Layer," it should automagically calculate a 0.75mm line width (which you wouldn't see in the interface since you set a percentage.  If so, did you change the settings under "Quality?"  I see for example that there is a "Quality > Wall Generator > First Layer Minimum Wall Width" which is currently (default) set to 85%.  Did that value need to be changed?  I am assuming not in that case.

I just want to say thanks for both of you chiming in here. Of course, this always seems to happen when I am under the gun to get a print done. I am currently printing some production parts for work due to... well, it's a long story. I need 500-ish of these parts by Tuesday morning, so my printer is running nonstop, but I figured that changing to a 0.6mm or 0.8mm nozzle would speed the whole process up.  Quantity over absolute quality is the driving factor at the moment.

Screenshot 2024-04-20 123005.png

Line Width should be set in percentages, so it sets itself compared to the diameter of the nozzle.

image.png.3902aea1a1aed9d68287b83b9edf13ae.png

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

@7milesup Awesome! Glad you got it figured out.

And FWIW... Orca is a really good slicer and worth the effort to learn.

Happy printing 🙂👍

I have been a while inbetween slicers, but yes, after lots of testing, Orcaslicer it is.

Some parts came out better looking with Orcaslicer while just as fast or even faster.

But for me the MMU intgration is the key, I think thats the easiest on Orcaslicer with using multicolor.

Still have to figure out how to add ears to a single object, havent needed it, but didnt see it directly in Orca. Found that right now...

And never understod this part:

image.thumb.png.f859edad3daf7d3870333d159fa80d1a.png

• Like 2

All of those additions, or just one? It's a situational thing with those. 99% of the time I ignore them, but that 1% I'm grateful they are there.

As examples: I had one print that was going to end up mostly solid which I didn't need, so adding a negative cube sized just so hollowed out the print and saved both time and material. In another case, I've got some models with specific difficult overhangs that the supports just weren't cutting it. So I added some carefully sized and positioned cubes to act as supports. One final case, I just needed specific sized rectangular plates, well adding a cube & sizing it to what I needed allowed skipping the entire CAD step.

So those are useful when you need them, but you can mostly ignore them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1