Orcaslicer

mvdveer

Has anyone played with the multiple plate options?  Looks like you can have a project with all of your layouts in one.  Then select one at a time and send to printer?  Testing if it saves them all in a project file. Only thing that is odd is if you want to arrange a plate you have to click the arrange button that's next to the plate.  If you click the big one that we are all used to it will arrange all items and fit them in the fewest 
plates" as possible.

This would be great for projects like a Voron BOM print or a project that requires different colors or filament types.  What I wonder is how deep the customization goes, does each plate support custom print settings?  I know for me, I don't plan on printing the supports at 40% infill, not sure that is necessary for external parts with no structural or heat requirements.  Let me check...

image.thumb.png.667a75407f77548a276493116d0daabc.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PFarm said:

Note that this is where you adjust the extruder multiplier in Orca?

This is where you adjust the overall extrusion multiplication factor.

You can find this in the filament settings (same place as it is in SS but with a different name.

"Flow Ratio" is the equivalent of extrusion multiplier in SS.

image.thumb.png.a6fa4f406d21d74ede12a5c17facd58e.png

@PFarm

What you're showing is the equivalent of the Flow section under "Width and Flow" in SS

image.png.37c16b4423e75d0efb27f18260a09a16.png

• Like 2

And yes, if you save it as a project it saves all "Plates"  You can also customize each part on each plate.  The only thing that you can't is the material type.  A project in ABS is a project in ABS, at least I have not found out how.  Selecting Process as object lets you customize all settings on an object level.

image.png.7a445b139cc51d113fe20ad578b433f3.png

11 hours ago, bdejong11129 said:

If you click the big one that we are all used to it will arrange all items and fit them in the fewest plates" as possible.

I think you need to lock the plate so it doesn't do that.

You can have up to 36 plates stored in one project.

If you click on the setting button you can name the plate = Untitled to "Stealthburner

Screenshot2023-05-08at6_25_07PM.thumb.png.70fb1c27ad7b621cd70995c3a84eeb52.png

Edited by PFarm
  • Voron FTW! 1

8 hours ago, Buurman said:

I coudnt find the default placement of new objects on bed in 45 degrees angle, I have to rotate it manually, any takers?

I couldn't find it either, what the advantage of printing at 45 degrees again?

Edited by PFarm

Maybe another consideration to start using this is that there has been no update to Superslicer stable release for 8 months now (Sept 22) , whereas Orcaslicer was updated 3 days ago and is actively being developed. (See the Dev Plan)

Superslicer has published a pre-release on 5th March, but I tend to stay away for pre-releases. Done enough Beta-testing to know it is a a pain in the butt.

If we look at the amount of issues that need to be addressed, it may be a while before the next stable release. This is recognised by the author and like all of us, other priorities tend to interfere with projects. 

image.png.31803bba52fcb55829ffc09a97de77d3.png           vs                             image.png.9318df6d350278c696f2051250893f61.png

So once I have time - will use Orcaslicer and tune it. Happy to hear of all your experiences - all good so far. 

• Like 3

Does anyone has an idea how to move the default "" C:\Users\"user"\AppData\Roaming\OrcaSlicer "" folder? I'm using the slicer on 3 different computers from a folder on my cloud of choice, and it's working perfectly, but any changes in the existing and new profiles and settings are stored locally in the folder above and I don't have a good enough way of synchronizing them, which is very inconvenient.

10 hours ago, PFarm said:

During walls printing you are just running one motor for the 45 degree diagonal move, this is quieter, but also less sensitive to vibration.

I like it mostly for the noise, it just sounds smoother, and I feel I can put in quite fast walls this way, even the outer wall is set quite fast without quality penalty.

Also set the infill, if you have a grid or something, to 45 degree, so it also used diagonal moves as much as possible and you are golden... (but i use triangles)

You can fit less objects on a plate though in a 45 degree layout.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Maybe another consideration to start using this is that there has been no update to Superslicer stable release for 8 months now (Sept 22) , whereas Orcaslicer was updated 3 days ago and is actively being developed. (See the Dev Plan)

Superslicer has published a pre-release on 5th March, but I tend to stay away for pre-releases. Done enough Beta-testing to know it is a a pain in the butt.

If we look at the amount of issues that need to be addressed, it may be a while before the next stable release. This is recognised by the author and like all of us, other priorities tend to interfere with projects. 

image.png.31803bba52fcb55829ffc09a97de77d3.png           vs                             image.png.9318df6d350278c696f2051250893f61.png

So once I have time - will use Orcaslicer and tune it. Happy to hear of all your experiences - all good so far. 

I have to agree! And I am a big SS fan... but seeing that there are no adaptions of the new functions that are put in Prusaslicer, I really start to tend to lean towards orcaslicer.

Mostly because of support options, since there are not much options in SS on it, I hope Orca will have other options soon also.

I am still waiting for this newer way of seam placement, dont remember the name, to make the seam more invisible, lets see who will be first.

But yeah, its good to see development being very active, and I do like the interface, but you do have to get used to it a bit, the search function isnt searching in all settings I feel, and thats kinda annoying.. (not in printer settings, etc)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Buurman said:

I just sliced a full plate, and to my surprise one part had a brim set on it... Im having a hard time to find out why AND how to remove it 😛 

Weird...

Have not played with it yet - just installed, sliced a bench and printed without any adjustments and was pleasantly surprised with speed and quality. Have now finished the ERCF and can move on to other things. Orcaslicer is one of them. Then I have a V-Minion to build as well as a Tridex. Where can I get time for all of this?

2 minutes ago, mvdveer said:

Have not played with it yet - just installed, sliced a bench and printed without any adjustments and was pleasantly surprised with speed and quality. Have now finished the ERCF and can move on to other things. Orcaslicer is one of them. Then I have a V-Minion to build as well as a Tridex. Where can I get time for all of this?

Looking forward to your first multicolor print!!

I will have questions later if I get back to that project for sure! thanks for your investigations on all of it!

21 minutes ago, Buurman said:

Im having a hard time to find out why AND how to remove it

Under the Process tab, go to others and change Brim from AUTO to no Brim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mvdveer said:

FYI, I've been running that version for months. I've had no problems with it; I've just stayed away from the Arachne slicing.

That said, the fact that updates are so slow--it is apparently one guy who has had other priorities come up--Orca is looking really promising.

• Like 1

Hello,

New member here and a recent Voron 2.4 rev C builder / owner.  I came across this thread while tweaking my printer and have liked seeing your guy's progress with using Orca Slicer!  It was called "Softfever" originally, as it is a fork of the Bambu Slicer, which I have been using since early this year when I got my P1P & X1C printers.  Orca Slicer is a great slicer with pretty solid presets, not to mention it's easy to use.  Multiple plate projects is fantastic, easily my favorite feature, oh, and tree supports!

My Voron prints pretty solid at the defaults, but like a few others mentioned, it's a bit "jerky" with the accelerations, which I toned down as well.  Fast is fun, but quality rules imo.  Oh, Orca gets updated very frequently, so expect to keep updating it 🙂

Just wanted to drop in and say hey, if I can help out with the slicer at all I'll chime in.

Take it easy

• Like 4

@nickpeck47 Welcome to the forum, I like the multiple plate feature, as you add more and more plates is there a way to focus on a single plate instead of viewing all the plates? Use the right-click on the mouse and drag to centre the plate you want to work on.

Screenshot2023-05-09at10_27_33AM.thumb.png.cea6df715adfc305e796847a1bcabb4f.png

Edited by PFarm

10 minutes ago, PFarm said:

@nickpeck47 Welcome to the forum, I like the multiple plate feature, as you add more and more plates is there a way to focus on a single plate instead of viewing all the plates?

Screenshot2023-05-09at10_27_33AM.thumb.png.cea6df715adfc305e796847a1bcabb4f.png

Hey PFarm,

There was once a keyboard shortcut that would pull in a bit on whatever plate you had selected, but for some reason it no longer works in either Slicer.  I usually just pick the plate and scroll in right now, not the best, but it works.  I have been meaning to dig into this more, but I just got so used to doing it the way I do it I haven't looked any further recently.  I pretty much group up all of my multi print prints like this now a days, so damn helpful.  I'll update if I come across anything else.

• Like 1

just started playing with Orcaslicer on my Enderstein v2 Klipper machine and my Little Anni (i3 mega) Klipper machine.

Little Anni was a total failure all we mage wad a plastic wig for the hotend nozzle!

The Enderstein, completed a small print but it was very stringy and the support was totally fused!

I couldn't find any support customization like in Cura for support density%, interface settings, wall count or interface density?
Probably some sort of janky naming convention or oddball location that im not seeing...

Love the device tab though

2 hours ago, Buurman said:

image.thumb.png.925793e92e674063b1f08ae18921e956.pngimage.thumb.png.68d0cf1a0992a90fca33b5a5fe55cc46.png

This isnt what you are looking for?

Some things may be called differently, this is among slicer a ... well, bit of a challenge sometimes, but most is the same...

No i don't believe so, in Cura i can set the density of the support like infill. the lower it is set the easier it is to remove once the balance between it supporting and falling over is achieved. i think Superslicer and Prusa have a similar feature. You can also turn off the support wall so only the support pattern infill is printed for really easy removal

density.jpg

interface.jpg