Orcaslicer

mvdveer

4 hours ago, A-Man said:

Hi guys, I have a question, so I want to install orca slicer on my Mac and there are two download options, whats the difference between the two options? Thx

Arm for the Apple machines with Apple's M-series chipsets. Older Macs will use the Intel or X86 chip set

Hello is there like a profile to get a good startpoint using OrcaSlicer (similar to Ellis for SS)? I have been using SuperSlicer forever and want to give OrcaSlicer a fair chance.

EDIT: Nevermind, I used the default profiles that come built in and they are a pretty starting place! Let's see how this goes.

Is there a way to send directly to printer as you can do in SS or do I have to export gcode and upload manually? Did not find a place to add the printer IP

Edited by masimplo

4 hours ago, masimplo said:

send directly to printer as you can do in SS

Yes, you can. Next to the tab where your printer is listed, there is a WiFi symbol. When you click on this, you can setup your printer to directly send files to the printer. See this explanation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, masimplo said:

Hello is there like a profile to get a good startpoint using OrcaSlicer (similar to Ellis for SS)? I have been using SuperSlicer forever and want to give OrcaSlicer a fair chance.

EDIT: Nevermind, I used the default profiles that come built in and they are a pretty starting place! Let's see how this goes.

Is there a way to send directly to printer as you can do in SS or do I have to export gcode and upload manually? Did not find a place to add the printer IP

You didn't mention what printer you have, but beware that OrcaSlicer has some pretty high settings pre-loaded for the Voron.  You might want to take a look through it and back them off a bit.

• Like 1

I'll second that. The default Voron speeds in the Orca profiles are rather high. I took my SuperSlicer speeds and transferred them over and that has been working pretty well.

FYI, once you have that physical printer defined, not only can you send directly to the printer (and print straight away), but you can open the Mainsail or Fluidd web interface from directly in the program. I don't use that much myself, but it's a nice option to have.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the replies and help!

Sorry forgot to mention which printer I am using. I have a Trident 300, with Stealthburner, galileo 2, Dragon HF and Rapido 2 HF/UHF, using 0.4 and 0.6 nozzles mostly. My SS speeds/accelerations were pretty similar with the Orca defaults, I just reduced acceleration for external perimeters and top a bit.

So far I love it (integration with fluidd is a nice touch), which is not easy for me to love something else than SS as I have been using for a long time and whenever I tried switching to Cura or PrusaSlicer I always went back within the same day, but I got to have organic supports hence the effort to switch! I still got to fine tune it, but out of the box it did some pretty ok prints.

If I understand correctly I define maximum speeds in the printing profile and then I use the volumetric speed setting for filaments to slow it down, for TPU for instance, right? In SS I had a separate profile, which was cumbersome (maybe there was a better way, but I did not know about it).

Also I like the fact that you define PA without gcode, but Is there a way to set pressure advance for a filament per nozzle size as I see that if I change it in the filament, it applies to the other nozzle type - filament combination.

I'm in the exact same boat. I really like SS, but some projects really, really benefit from the organic supports. So that drove me to try to get comfortable with Orca.

One thing I did for slowing default speeds is stick a M220 command in the filament start gcode. On my Trident, ABS doesn't like printing quite as fast as PLA, so I just slow everything down by a bit using M220 and it's happy. Same could work with TPU, just slow it down a LOT. No I mean REALLY A LOT. No, MORE. 😁

• Like 4

1 hour ago, claudermilk said:

I'm in the exact same boat. I really like SS

One thing I did for slowing default speeds is stick a M220 command in the filament start gcode. 

I really like SS as well got the support set up so they're removed easily and working out for me. Love the idea of the M220 gcode what percentage do you set it at?

• Like 2

On 8/8/2023 at 3:53 PM, PFarm said:

I got most of the settings dialled in bridging is good but having issues with overhangs. As suggestions? 

Screenshot2023-08-08at8_50_59AM.png.0ad8a2b1674eda163f3efd654b97e821.png

Screenshot2023-08-08at8_55_30AM.thumb.png.f4b0e372138e161fd966d948884b2632.png

Did you find a solution for this? I have the same exact problem, my SB is too weak to print good overhangs at those speeds, especially with PLA (ABS I just blasted more air at it and it is looking a bit better). 

On 1/15/2024 at 8:18 AM, claudermilk said:

I'm in the exact same boat. I really like SS, but some projects really, really benefit from the organic supports. So that drove me to try to get comfortable with Orca.

One thing I did for slowing default speeds is stick a M220 command in the filament start gcode. On my Trident, ABS doesn't like printing quite as fast as PLA, so I just slow everything down by a bit using M220 and it's happy. Same could work with TPU, just slow it down a LOT. No I mean REALLY A LOT. No, MORE. 😁

I am assuming that the M220 that is set in the print start macro?

I am testing out OrcaSlicer (vs. Cura) and am having a heck of a time with my prints.  It might be my printer, the slicer, or, or...

20 minutes ago, 7milesup said:

am assuming that the M220 that is set in the print start macro?

No, it is set in the filament Gcode as in the example below:

image.thumb.png.ed31efe7e7f79a6047750cc8383a1d9d.png

• Thanks 1

Also, I noticed the last version sets your Z-hop type to AUTOMATIC.

After that I gotten lots of G3 G17 errors during printing.

I changed it back to NORMAL and then those errors are gone.

It has to do with ARC stuff, but you dont need it with Klipper, it solves it in another way.

You can enable it in Klipper, but ... I think its not the best solution.

image.png.7880f985ad058e2d4300575be16e8018.png

Hi everyone, I’ve recently enjoyed using orca over creality print for my K1 max however in the slicer my layers look really weird as soon as I change the z offset from 0 to -0.05 shown in the photos below. I don’t know if it’s a coincidence but I’m now getting some layer deformation in my prints, any idea why orca is doing this when I change the z offset and what’s causing my print to look the way it is (photo 3). Thanks in advance :))IMG_5182.thumb.jpeg.6d3838524d952f4f60978514ef9502b7.jpegIMG_5181.thumb.jpeg.c2954ca826a5fa58c440e0af96dd0450.jpegIMG_5183.thumb.jpeg.dbf7863a8adcd3b7f54c6d3da099ce02.jpeg

3 hours ago, MBPrints said:

however in the slicer my layers look really weird

Do you have "arc fitting:" enabled? it uses G2 and G3 codes to define an arc about a center point but maybe it is not able to fit the curve well enough.

2024-02-01-181136_1914x1048_scrot.png.2ee9e486d33a9f6d038c5477b3c1b395.png

It almost looks like the 'random seam' setting is having a fit. And I don't know how a z-offset setting could be causing such an issue. Troubleshooting can be such fun..

• 2 months later...

The newest release of OrcaSlicer is driving me nuts.    This big wall of text is obscuring the view, and I can't figure out how to turn it off.

Anyone know?

image.thumb.png.1cf4887f94547d517ed9cfba9f5fb657.png

Also, same question with this:

image.thumb.png.f1951e114a92f5edb472ea19d8bf07c8.png

It also pops up after slicing.    I can minimize it, but i can't figure out how to get it to persistently stay OFF.

Edited by ken226

2 hours ago, ken226 said:

This big wall of text is obscuring the view, and I can't figure out how to turn it off.

Under view - untick show G-Code window - turns it off

image.thumb.png.b71e7cb0cef30e5e5ca1912e6492789a.png

2 hours ago, ken226 said:

I can minimize it, but i can't figure out how to ge

There is no way of preventing this from appearing as far as I know 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about how you are handling nozzle sizes other than .4mm.

In Cura, for example, when you change the printer nozzle size, the slicer settings are globally changed. For example, if I change to a 0.6mm nozzle, the line width is now set to 0.675, and the wall line width is changed to 0.6mm. 

Making a change in OrcaSlicer under "printer" does not appear to make those types of changes.  I really like the layout of OrcaSlicer and its integration with Mainsail, but it seems that a departure from "normal" results in a lot of work changing the settings to make it work.

I hope that I am missing a "check this box" setting or similar. 

I can confirm that when I change from .4mm -> .6mm the Line Width values change with the nozzle size.

I don't think Cura has some special algorithm that changes the line width values based on nozzle size. Rather... I think Cura, and other slicers, are just loading a preset.

I would try adding a .6mm nozzle profile (of your printer) from the printer section (gear icon). I added a .6 V0 profile and all the values changed.

• Like 1