Orcaslicer

mvdveer

I'm currently using OrcaSlicer exclusively. I have figure it out and it works every bit as well as SS did and have better features and UI, IMO.

I've been farting around with PETG lately and bought an assortment of cheap nozzles off Amazon with various orifice sizes. I only needed to print a couple test cubes to get the material dialed in and went one step further and installed a 1mm nozzle. I can push as much as 30 mm3/s thru it but found that limiting the flow to 20 creates beautiful results.  Transparency is pretty impressive.

PETG-1mm-02.thumb.jpg.52a76eaf330acbe111fa701a640df4c3.jpg

PETG-1mm-01.thumb.jpg.fbd07c976c6339a8a175534370016098.jpg

PETG-1mm-03.thumb.jpg.ba8ccdd941651a67103dfd2e42d9809b.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I now have issue to start the print with Orcaslicer v1.6.6 or 1.7.0 beta, the file uploaded ok but nothing else happens. I can click on print resume icon/button, I get 'print is not paused, resume aborted'. I checked print_start, print_end, there is no change.

I can home, heat up the bed, extruder... from dashboard, I can still all previously sliced files.

You help is appreciated.

Check the machine G-code in the printer settings:

M104 S0 ; Stops PS/SS from sending temp waits separately
M140 S0
;M190 S[bed_temperature_initial_layer_single]
;M109 S[nozzle_temperature_initial_layer]
;PRINT_START EXTRUDER=[nozzle_temperature_initial_layer] BED=[bed_temperature_initial_layer_single]
; You can use following code instead if your PRINT_START macro support Chamber and print area bedmesh
PRINT_START EXTRUDER=[nozzle_temperature_initial_layer] BED=[bed_temperature_initial_layer_single] Chamber=[chamber_temperature] PRINT_MIN={first_layer_print_min[0]},{first_layer_print_min[1]} PRINT_MAX={first_layer_print_max[0]},{first_layer_print_max[1]}

• Like 2

Finally getting around to trying OS out.  Faster than I love but the print turned out well enough for prototyping.  I need to tweak my pressure advance for this one because the solid layers are a little rough.  I never had to mess with it in Cura and used a modified Ellis3d profile so didn’t really have to mess with much on it either.  I did just use the Voron generic ASA profile though so time to redo the flow for my filaments then.  Great slicers though and love that you have the UI in the slicer IMG_6194.thumb.jpeg.cde2d79dcb2b6000250bb049eca21bfc.jpeg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, therm_virtual0y said:

Faster than I love

I curbed the speeds quite a lot for the Vorons with Revo toolhead. will see how it performs once I have the VZBot up and running at the "default orcaslicer" speeds.

Orcaslicer has now become my default slicer. The only issue I have is the OSX (Mac-Version) does not have the stl repair algorithm built in. Need to use the windows version for this. (I have windows running in a virtual environment on OSX for times like this)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mvdveer said:

stl repair algorithm built in

I saw the repair option on the drop-down but didn’t really know what it is actually doing.  I didn’t get any errors so I figured I didn’t need it.  The default settings are starting to grow on me.  Cool seeing the machine really getting a workout.  Might have to check belt tension more often and be sure they are dialed.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, therm_virtual0y said:

but didn’t really know what it is actually doing

At times you may get an error when slicing a downloaded model, e.g 

image.png.24436edaa2efb1b0a7204d7e3ed90ca5.png

which then needs to be repaired. Superslicer Mac and Orcaslicer Windows does this automatically.

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2023 at 7:57 AM, PFarm said:

Check the machine G-code in the printer settings:

M104 S0 ; Stops PS/SS from sending temp waits separately
M140 S0
;M190 S[bed_temperature_initial_layer_single]
;M109 S[nozzle_temperature_initial_layer]
;PRINT_START EXTRUDER=[nozzle_temperature_initial_layer] BED=[bed_temperature_initial_layer_single]
; You can use following code instead if your PRINT_START macro support Chamber and print area bedmesh
PRINT_START EXTRUDER=[nozzle_temperature_initial_layer] BED=[bed_temperature_initial_layer_single] Chamber=[chamber_temperature] PRINT_MIN={first_layer_print_min[0]},{first_layer_print_min[1]} PRINT_MAX={first_layer_print_max[0]},{first_layer_print_max[1]}

I still have the problem. I have a message in the Update Manager Klipper 'Repo has untracked source files: ['klipper/extra/z_calibration.py']. Could this be a problem? How do I fix the problem. Thanks

I installed it after watching a video. But didn't use it.

The interface is what Cura should be : much better organization, and Fluidd/Mainsail inegration.

But, there are fine tunings that don't exist. For example, I didn't find a flow (or line width) multiplier for the infills. Also, I set various flows/speeds/accel and more recently PAs depending on what's printed (outer walls, inner walls, infill, top layer, bottom layer). Pressure Advance : the Cura Klipper plugin adds PA values depending on these. Didn't find such features in Orca (and in SS and in PS, not speaking of Slic3r back in the days).

Was really disapointed. Still waiting for a "better Cura", more user friendly. Hopefully Orca will have these features in the future, but for now, back to Cura.

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2023 at 5:32 PM, mvdveer said:

Orcaslicer has now become my default slicer. The only issue I have is the OSX (Mac-Version) does not have the stl repair algorithm built in. Need to use the windows version for this. (I have windows running in a virtual environment on OSX for times like this)

Who the heck uses Mac?  LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChicagoKeri said:

Who the heck uses Windows? ROFLOL!

I do. I use windows because the software (CAD and FEA) I've been using for my job for the past 40 years doesn't run on a MAC. Certainly, there's more support today but primarily it hasn't. And FWIW... a MAC is just a PC with Apple branding and Apple's OS. Yes, some may argue that Apple uses their own processor on some models but for the most part they run, Intel Core series processors, regular old DDR memory, Nvidia graphics cards and a PC hard disk drive. So, when you boil it all down, what you have left is a PC running Apples OS that costs 3x as much as it should. 

Now don't get mad at me for being honest... we all know that we're all benefitting from the PC open architecture that created all the performance and cost benefits on components that companies like Apple take advantage of while at the same time creating an elitist group of minions that love to chuckle at Windows users like they're Neanderthals. 

Regardless...

We Neanderthals still love you Apple users in spite of what you might think about us. 🥰

• Like 7

Ok, I have a question about Orca Slicer.  I thought that I would give it a try, but of course, I have an issue right out of the gate. 

I copied and pasted the custom G-code from Cura into Orca Slicer.  This is the error code I get when trying to slice...

Failed to generate G-code for invalid custom G-code.
machine_start_gcode Parsing error at line 3: Not a variable name
START_PRINT tool_temp={material_print_temperature_layer_0} bed_temp={material_bed_temperature_layer_0} material={material_type}
                       ^

Below is the G-code I have in Orca Slicer (the same as Cura).

M117
G92 E0
START_PRINT tool_temp={material_print_temperature_layer_0} bed_temp={material_bed_temperature_layer_0} material={material_type}

If I remember correctly, Prusa Slicer and Cura utilize different syntax for custom G-code.  Is that correct?  If so, I obviously need to redo this. 

In Orca slicer, that would read:

START_PRINT tool_temp=[first_layer_temperature] bed_temp=[first_layer_bed_temperature] MATERIAL={filament_type}

Hope this clarifies it. See here for a more detailed explanation

• Like 2

On 10/24/2023 at 9:04 PM, mvdveer said:

In Orca slicer, that would read:

START_PRINT tool_temp=[first_layer_temperature] bed_temp=[first_layer_bed_temperature] MATERIAL={filament_type}

Hope this clarifies it. See here for a more detailed explanation

What function is the Material section performing in your Start Macro?  Is it passing specific PA in your.cfg?

1 hour ago, therm_virtual0y said:

What function is the Material section performing in your Start Macro?  Is it passing specific PA in your.cfg?

It can be used to call other functions in the macro such as heat soak for example when printing abs but ignore it when printing PLA.

The PA can be individually set in each filament's gcode space:

Filament PA

• Like 2

I thought that I followed up with this but apparently not.

I did get Orca Slicer to work and as usual it came down to syntax errors.  I believe I may have had the START_PRINT backward.  It was one of those things where looking back I envision myself as flailing around and not remembering what I changed.  😬

I do know that I had one pair of brackets as "braces" whereas they should have been "brackets."   Oh how the little things matter.

While on the subject of Orca Slicer...

I just printed a cooling fan for an electric motor in my metalworking shop.  It did not print correctly, and in fact, it did not slice correctly.  The top and bottom layers are not complete, meaning you can actually see light through it in areas.  I have top and bottom shell layers changed to what I thought would force it to complete. Attached are some pictures...

Any ideas?

PXL_20231028_012316085.jpg

PXL_20231028_012322815.jpg

PXL_20231028_030808751.jpg

PXL_20231028_031002381.jpg