Orcaslicer

mvdveer

Rather than hijacking an existing threat, I thought I may start a separate topic. My interest was peaked at the discussion around this slicer, so downloaded and installed and sliced a benchy - standard Klipper 0.4 nozzle profile - no changes, no tweaking. Pleasantly surprised with the results.

• Like 4

I felt that the stock profiles push the printer a lot harder than what you usually find.

This was a 30 minute Benchy, Stock profile, all I did was slow down the 1st layer to 30mm/s. PLA = Ziro Silver Silk.

30-min-Benchy_Voron-2.4.thumb.jpg.4dd149180d051957972dc0d607cf322b.jpg

• Like 2

I blame @Penatr8tor. I went ahead and installed it and started playing around. It looks like just about all the settings I pay attention to in SuperSlicer are there (you just need to turn on Advanced to see them. Yes, some of the settings--speeds in particular--push the printer more than I usually see. My speeds taken from the Ellis SS profile are somewhat slower in a number of settings. Accelerations are a bit higher than what Orca sets. A few of the filament defaults are actually darn close to my tested tuning settings. It's nice that pressure advance is baked into the settings so a custom Gcode line isn't needed.

Once I have the printer fixed I'll try some test prints. I'll push it and do some of the miniatures to see what I can do there. Tree supports are really attractive in concept for that.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 7:33 AM, mvdveer said:

Rather than hijacking an existing threat, I thought I may start a separate topic. My interest was peaked at the discussion around this slicer, so downloaded and installed and sliced a benchy - standard Klipper 0.4 nozzle profile - no changes, no tweaking. Pleasantly surprised with the results.

I did the same thing and tweaked a few settings but it knock off quite a bit of time off the print. I set the seam at the rear but was not to impressed, the seam is quite obvious. But the rest of the print looks pretty good. Testing some more 2.4 printer parts.

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 2

Didn't find any noticeable difference on my test prints. Going to give it a go for a few days. I find it does a better job of arranging parts on the plate.

Edited by PFarm

Well, This didn't go well. Seems to be far faster than my current setup can handle.  All I did was change the basic setting to match the walls and top and bottom layers. It got to about 70% and it released from the build plate. 

May need to tune some of the other settings.

20230507_000709.thumb.jpg.f1d67b77e608f0957eb4f2ec91dc5640.jpg20230507_000719.thumb.jpg.720fe39ed927bf7e183f4b3464445c2b.jpg

Prints are coming out nice and being that time is knocked off the print time I'd like to continue testing this slicer. But for the life of me, I can't figure out the Print_Start sequence it heats to 250 then back to 150 for mesh then back up to 250. I had it figured out for Superslicer but can't remember how I did it. In my Superslicer setup it heat the bed to 110 when bed temp is reached does adaptive mesh, heat extruder to 250 then line purge.

IMG_1531.JPG

Edited by PFarm

44 minutes ago, PFarm said:

I can't figure out the Print_Start sequence it heats to 250 then back to 150 for mesh then back up to 250

The slicer likes to assume and insert start temperatures unless you define something. You might need to add the following two lines to the 'Custom Start G-code' within Orca Slicer:

M104 S0 ; Stops PS/SS from sending temp waits separately
M140 S0

• Like 4

I went in and cut the speeds down to 1/2 of what they defaulted to and the print finished this time with only a few small issues.  Looks like my printer just can't run at the speeds it's starting with.  Just got as far as I can with building the Gantry for the next printer so I am back to testing this out.  I want this to work so bad due to the integration of the mainsail interface.  That is one feature that is very nice to have. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bdejong11129 said:

I went in and cut the speeds down to 1/2 of what they defaulted to and the print finished this time with only a few small issues.  Looks like my printer just can't run at the speeds it's starting with.  Just got as far as I can with building the Gantry for the next printer so I am back to testing this out.  I want this to work so bad due to the integration of the mainsail interface.  That is one feature that is very nice to have. 

Agree the Mainsail feature is a plus, it should print at default speed I only tweaked the speed for the first layer and top layer both set a 30mms.

1 hour ago, atrushing said:

The slicer likes to assume and insert start temperatures unless you define something. You might need to add the following two lines to the 'Custom Start G-code' within Orca Slicer:

M104 S0 ; Stops PS/SS from sending temp waits separately
M140 S0

@atrushing

Insert here: 

Screenshot2023-05-07at1_21_20PM.thumb.png.22c1e021a6e5ff18c4fa0860677d62da.png

or here:

Screenshot2023-05-07at1_21_35PM.thumb.png.3706722233dace8f49afed8f861416c2.png

Edited by PFarm

1 hour ago, PFarm said:

Insert here:

The first one. You would need to comment out (or remove) the first two lines or modify them as my prior example.

Right now those two lines are instructing the gcode to set the bed to full temp, then set the nozzle to full temp. Then the third line properly calls your Print_Start while passing the required temperatures. The Print_Start then sets the nozzle back to 150C until the mesh is finished.

The M104/M140 S0 lines need to come before the Print_Start is called.

• Like 1

So went back and started a profile for the ABS I am using.  Sliced a single Z Idler in both PS and OS. 

PS is 54m using my fast profile which was a balance between aesthetics and speed.  For OS it came out to 31m.  

Here is what the OS print looked like.  Ignore the B, that's just to keep track of settings. This is as OS wanted to print it. Not sure what happened the first time but this one looks usable. Not sure what cased the layer gap. A few shifts that are marginal at best. Pretty sure this would last a long time. 

Top layer is a bit proud and rough as well.

20230507_144033.jpg.b74c77a1ebcacdf9a1a82d887ade1d1e.jpg20230507_144038.thumb.jpg.036aebda06bed8664460366ddbcdf8e5.jpg20230507_144050.jpg.2285f6fa6464e84119a3acdfdb71fa5c.jpg20230507_144054.jpg.3fd8b6a4cbc61e5c4741ad12bdb79082.jpg

What are the biggest benefits so far from OrcaSlicer? 

Is it printing different what makes it faster or just different speed settings?

IS the interface better?

Will try it too, but no time yet.... just curious..  

More speed doesnt interest me too much, but if you are able to get a little more speed and KEEP the same quality, or even better, then it becomes interesting...

Support isnt great in SS, compared to Cura, so wonder if there are changes there..

@Buurman First I like the feature that you can access Mainsail from within the software 

Screenshot2023-05-08at12_36_45AM.thumb.png.dbc446760477f48d1141652bd967e199.png

Then there's the speed it's not crazy faster but it is noticeably faster when comparing the ETA with S.S. there is a difference. The only speed settings I change from default are the first and top layers set at 30mms. So far and don't see a print quality change. You can set up 36 different platers under one project like printing Voron parts, bringing up the plater slice and print. The interface is pretty easy to navigate, I think it is worth your while to give it a go.

IMG_1531.thumb.JPG.728f28fa1541e148750653fe87282a2b.JPG

Short video link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U91FTHzrRBi1pBfz_eGP84rajwcpBgj2/view?usp=sharing

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Two things that I've noticed are Orca defaults to Arachne slicing; it's still beta (and broken) in SuperSlicer. Orca also has tree supports available, which have not been ported into SS yet.

It will be at least a week before I can attempt to print anything, so for now I'm just watching all your results.

• Like 3

Printing now first print with Orca, I notice I had my SS profile already quite speedy, since print time is about the same.

First layer is way slower though in Orca, so I can speed that up, so many things to check and find... 

I coudnt find the default placement of new objects on bed in 45 degrees angle, I have to rotate it manually, any takers?

Its still on the first layer, maybe it starts to rocketship later... using default fillament setting, beside some temp change.

-- ok, starting on second layer now, and yes... and yes.. speeeeeeed has arrived...  but not distributed the way I like it. But I do see some things I like.

Full Infill speed is really nice, I think I need to crank this up in SS also. I think its speed on small details is too high and I expect it can suffer in quality there, outer wall can be speed up, default is quite slow compared to the rest.

• Like 1

started first print on this printer now, orcaslicer, one fron Skirt with a Keystone in it. 

Estimation 1:21 hour to print, I think thats not bad, but ok, its also with a 0.6 (tungsten) nozzle.

Yes, I give my printers names now 😛 on request, meet Princess Pumpkin.

20230508_165757749_iOS.jpg

• Like 5

I toned down the acceleration on my profile, it was a little too violent for my taste. Overall, I'm getting used to the UI and it's growing on me. Things that really annoyed me, I'm getting used to. I feel much more connected to my printer. At the very least... I have a slicer that can do tree supports.

• Like 3