A grumpy old man builds a Voron (LDO 2.4 kit)

motley

Next up fitting panels, the back and base plate come covered in this sticky paper which is right pain to remove:

backing_paper.thumb.jpg.3defd5482f3ceae468de86be2502d306.jpg

The top and sides are clear acrylic, very accurately cut and no sticky paper 🙂

These are the standard corner and side clips, they work fine but it a very laborious process to remove and fit the panels, I have switched to snap click fittings already. There is one in the previous image next to the roller foot.

A bit of Klipper config later - here it is printing (well a still image of same):

final1.thumb.jpg.c2c5183452c96cc52afc516ad2f8acf5.jpg

Pressure tower (from the Ellis tuning guide) and an LDO steppy as output so far.

I'm really pleased how well it works, the QGL can be a bit long winded, I'm wondering if my probe is a little loose. The quality is very good considering I have only done the basic tuning.

Like all good Voron folk - now I get to mess it up by adding/changing stuff - I do hope to get some ideas from you all!

Finally (almost) a comment on the LDO kit - it may cost a little more than some but the extra work that they have done and the quality of the parts, packing and instructions make it all worth the extra (well that's my view anyway).

Finally finally - a big thank you to all the folk at Voron Design who have produced an excellent design that someone like me with 'average' skills and tools can build at home - just brilliant!!!

• Like 2
  • Voron FTW! 2

Very neat and tidy. Enjoy following along on this build. Sure the trolley will be fine - only consideration is movement of the printer through vibration. I tried to eliminate movement of the printer through vibration with the panzerball feet (Squash balls).

The trolley is very heavy to try to absorb the printer movement but the panzerball feet are a good idea - will give them a try.

Next project to to convert my very much used V1.6 (started life as 1.5) into a Tridex.

It's going to be a long-term project, for now I'm just going to start collecting parts. I don't have a good (as in accurate) way to cut extrusions so will need to order them cut to size.

1 hour ago, motley said:

Next project to to convert my very much used V1.6 (started life as 1.5) into a Tridex.

Shall I say SNAP!. Already have a formbot kit on the way for this purpose. But first I'll have to conquer the ERCF once time allows. Self sourced three Vorons, but postage has become an obstacle, especially if you live down under. (Australai)

6 minutes ago, mvdveer said:

But first I'll have to conquer the ERCF once time allows. 

Can the ERCF feed a Tridex setup?

On another note, I've worked with quite a few Aussie in the mining industry here in Canada and always loved the great positive/joker attitude your countryman have, awesome people to work with. Always want to possibly work in Australia but don't think I could work in that kind of heat! 

4 minutes ago, PFarm said:

Anything is possible but the Tridex is a dual extruder, thus dual color prints - each color has its own Toolhead.

ERCF is a separate device allowing swapping filaments to a single extruder and toolhead. Build this for the 350 Voron

6 minutes ago, PFarm said:

I've worked with quite a few Aussie in the mining industry here in Canada

They are great people and a great Country - I am a Dutchie living in Australia though. Been here for 23 years now and love it.Initially had a choice of jobs between Saskatchewan or New Zealand - opted for the hotter weather, stayed there for 5 years then moved on to Aussie. Get back to Europe once a year to see my brother and his family in the UK, as well as my nephew in Scotland. In a way sad I missed out on Canada.

• Like 1

I looked at the ERCF and decided it was too complex for me, the 1.6 to Tridex looks more my style and I will be able to reuse at least some parts. Once I get going I'll start a new topic.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mvdveer said:

had a choice of jobs between Saskatchewan or New Zealand - opted for the hotter weather

LOL you missed out on the -40C instead of the +40C. I always say the only good thing about -40C is it makes -20C feel like summer!

Edited by PFarm
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, motley said:

Once I get going I'll start a new topic.

Will certainly follow along. Wise choice. Building the ERCF was great fun, Calibrating it a colossal pain in the ....

3 hours ago, PFarm said:

On another note, I've worked with quite a few Aussie in the mining industry here in Canada and always loved the great positive/joker attitude your countryman have, awesome people to work with. Always want to possibly work in Australia but don't think I could work in that kind of heat! 

Did someone say....Dual ERCF? 😈

So in keeping with tradition - I present the Voron test cube in lovely purple ABS, the bearing pops in easily and X = 30.00 Y = 30.10 Z = 30.13 so I fairly pleased. Next is Input Shaper which means delving into the underneath again. Cute cube images now:

cube3.thumb.jpg.499f8256ed3d8b1739a587ca6bea03e5.jpgcube4.thumb.jpg.8b27c9053ccf803792096f7e9271d1f5.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 10:20 AM, motley said:

The trolley is very heavy to try to absorb the printer movement but the panzerball feet are a good idea - will give them a try.

It's going to be a long-term project, for now I'm just going to start collecting parts. I don't have a good (as in accurate) way to cut extrusions so will need to order them cut to size.

I myself went away from the Panzerballs, I use the normal feet but I use a 60x60 rubber tile (normally for kid playgrounds) what is about 4/5 bucks.

Very positive about it, no vibration noises carry into the floor, and the printer stands more stable at higher speeds instead of the panzerballs, it makes the printer a bit wobbly.. in my opinion.