Jump to content

A grumpy old man builds a Voron (LDO 2.4 kit)


motley
 Share

Recommended Posts

So this is not my first Voron but it is my first published diary so bear with me.  

My previous builds (1.5 -> 1.6 and V0) were all self sourced which gives choice but can be very long winded and time consuming, so this time after much reading around I plmped for the LDO Kit in it's full 350mm size. There was a wait while the boat slowly chugged around but here is some of what arrived:

Amongst the stickers and card with URL links is an engraved metal stick on badge with what I assume is a unique serial number - neat!

Everything came extremely well packed and many boxes within boxes - all clearly labelled.

docs_plate.JPG

boxes.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks - it's been easy so far, really helps to take your time with squaring the frame.

I have watched too many Youtube videos than is good for me but watching the different approaches people take has been really helpful.

Time perhaps to take a moment to recognise the huge efforts that the Voron Dev design team and testers make on behalf of those like myself who lack the skills and/or dedication to design the parts themselves. A big thank you to all !!!

Next up the linear rails...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to think that IPA stood for 'India Pale Ale' but since a certain pandemic Isopropyl Alcohol is more likely to spring to mind. Because of the covid thing we now have stupid amounts of the wrong sort of IPA kicking about - perfect for washing out the linear rails. A quick bit of Lithium grease and we are ready to chose the best two for Y leaving the last four for Z.

None of them were in any way less than really good but two were just that bit smoother.

 

rails.JPG

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Getting the T nuts all lined up, most of them went in easily but there were a couple that needed persuasion. I always seemed to be on the one extrusion so I am wondering if it's a slightly undersized extrusion or one wall that is a bit thick. Either way Z rails are on 🙂

z_rail.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for sharing - love the quality of the photos. Would like to hear your experience with the LDO kit. I have build a self sourced v2.4r2 and V0 and have format kits for a 2.4 and trident on the shelf. Looks neatly packaged and extrusions beautifully tapped - on difference from the format kit I can deduce straight away.

 

Nice square frame, neat workspace - I am going to love following this build

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And so is the bottom panel with the DIN rails for electrical components later, there are some small printed clips which were still being printed at the time.baseplate.thumb.JPG.ede3500083327a8323aee42b72994de8.JPG

 

Just worked out how to add text after the image - dooh!

The panel comes covered in a protective paper layer which is great but a pain to remove, I like the matt finish - goes well with the frame. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Time to assemble some Z-drives, as most people already know the Voron 2.4 has four of them one in each corner and they eventually become part of the feet structure. Here are most of the bits:z_drivebits2.thumb.JPG.3d34d928e5ff2a3d6392fd40b11bd889.JPG

The toothed pulleys need their grub screws added - an extra marks to LDO for pre-applied threadlock:

IMG_4968.thumb.JPG.922762a1d477dbbb6953ef225c532f46.JPG

Apolgies - a bit out of focus...

A word of caution here, the next image shows how not to set up the drive shafts:

z_shaft.thumb.JPG.0d8bbd51df5b5eb1473b2a7629f73b3f.JPG

All would have been fine if I had read the instructions which say a 33 mm from the pulley not 30 mm as I did. Easy to adjust you might think, sadly not. In order that the pulleys wouldn't move I had tightened the grub screws such that the pulley (soft alloy) and the drive shaft (again softer than the grub screw) had both distorted such that they had to be forced apart and filed back to shape. Next time - read the instructions more carefully.

 

On our way again, add the bearings:

IMG_4971.thumb.JPG.9ff7325c53aa69035e5fb49cf48682b1.JPG

 

and the shafts, pulleys and belts:

 

IMG_4972.thumb.JPG.105a1aa7e1112a14d9fbe460dd59053e.JPG

finally set them in the frame - which here is obviously still upside down.

 

IMG_4979.thumb.JPG.7df3bc6c25af56eb5c7d0f1194a9f5c8.JPG

 

Fun so far !

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...