Second Build... Voron Switchwire

Penatr8tor

16 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

Are you using a toolhead PCB with harness?

Lol..not too many Switchwires around it seems. Not sure why. The corexz kinetics fascinate me.

Yes I purchased a 1 piece SB Hartk board just before the release of the two piece. The two piece definitely looks cleaner but that will be a future upgrade. 

Also purchased an AB PCB with harness on Ali, so I used the harness from that kit. 

I started with the Switchwire to see if I was up to the task before going on to something more advanced. 

I think a trident might be my next build. 

Absolutely love this "hobby" or addiction. Not sure yet which one lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Razor1666 said:

Depends on how many mods you apply to you printer, too many mods and it's no longer a hobby but a psychiatric condition (not that I'm looking at anyone...<cough>.... @mvdveer). Clearly you'd have to speak to a qualified medical professional to determine how many mods are too many....

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, smirk said:

Good stuff that midnight oil, it does look a nice clean build with good wiring  (I know you'll realy have a new heated bed with longer cable on order 😜).

Thanks, No... This bed is fine. The wiring is fine. Well... almost fine.

This is my list for finishing up this build.

1. Hotend thermistor not working. Testing today to see if I have a bad solder joint, connector crimp or just a bad thermistor. New one is on it's way.

2. Get LED's on SB working.

3. Get LCD display/control panel working.

4. Get the servo klicky mount configured and working.

5. Print something.

Things that I have confirmed work.

1. Klipper and Mainsail

2. Bed heater + thermistor

3. X, Y, Z Axis functionality and homing. Manually stuck the klicky probe to the toolhead for this.

It's coming along. Still got a bit to go but nothing that's a big show stopper.

5 hours ago, Razor1666 said:

Lol..not too many Switchwires around it seems. Not sure why. The corexz kinetics fascinate me.

I think a trident might be my next build. 

Agree, Not many SW's but I guess most people with previous 3D printing experience have already had bed slingers and one of the Core XY enclosed printers from either Voron or RatRig seem to be the next step.

For me I think I'm going to build the RatRig Vcore 3, basically a Trident but RatRig. I've already built a RatRig V-Minion and that little printer just pounds out beautiful prints one after another without fail and the RatRig variant of Mainsail/Klipper is an exceptional example of how Klipper should be implemented. If you want to see my V-Minion build look for a build diary called "Not a Voron". p.s. I highly recommend building a V-Minion. You will have fun and it the performance will blow you away.

Me too... It won't be long before I run out of room for all these printers LOL

34 minutes ago, smirk said:

Problem solved - speak to these guys

Yeah... Those guys aren't the sharpest tools in the shed IMO... Just look at the huge gantry setup, they even had to pour 4 foundation pillars for the printer.

I would've designed the printer so that it has a central column that mounts to the concrete slab in the middle of the structure. The column would have an arm that rotated around the column with a toolhead that moved along the arm. Rotation coupled with toolhead movement along the arm would be your X,Y. Z would be the arm moving vertical on the column. You can print the entire structure from the central column except for a hole in the center of the roof. When done... just unbolt the base and lift it out with a crane. Easy peasy LOL

• Haha 2

Well... I created an adapter wire to test to see if the wiring from the toolhead PCB thru the main harness connector to the controller was good. I hooked the adapter wire to the toolhead PCB, attached a generic thermistor to it. I then stuck the tip of the thermistor between the pei sheet and bed and heated the bed up to 60c. I watched the hotend temp output on Mainsail follow the same temp the bed was registering. So the wires from PCB to controller are good. Controller registering the temp is also good.

With the wiring confirmed, I took off the hotend and crimped on a new molex microfit and tested that setup to see if it was a bad crimp. It failed that test. So now it's a bit of a waiting game until my new hotend thermistor arrives later this afternoon.

I'll keep you posted.

Nero did a V-Minion build. It seems like a pretty good printer. Like a 'roided out Prua Mini+. 

Those construction printers... 😲🤯 They are like "Ivan Miranda? Dr. DFlo? Pah! Hold my beer..." I just wonder where you stick wiring & ducts in those buildings, surface mount I guess.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Razor1666 said:

I took a look at the Minion....I like it. I think I'll build one!  I just acquired a SKR Pico and have a Pi zero2 W I can use. I think that would be perfect for it. Cheers

I think the way to go with the V-Minion is to get the full kit from Fabreeko. It comes with an SKR Mini and Pi 3A in the box. Also included are 3D printed parts in lime green PETG. Of course you can always print your own like I did. I used Polymaker ASA Purple for mine. The klipper version developed by RatRig is far superior than stand klipper BTW. All (most) of the macro's you want are already implemented, like load and unload filament, bed mesh, prime blob, etc. Build a V-Minion and it will surprise you in a very good way. I literally click Upload & Print from Mainsail and walk away. I might take a quick peek to confirm but rarely if ever do I have a problem. In fact... I have a brand new print head with Rapido hotend ready to install but it prints so good I don't want to F it up. LOL

773151848_SquirrelBrainCase-03.thumb.jpg.21b3b71885413bd3a3b5ba978a0bbee4.jpg

1856024216_SquirrelBrainCase-02.thumb.jpg.016adad3f05175fd051952b13638c767.jpg

Edited by Penatr8tor
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, claudermilk said:

Nero did a V-Minion build. It seems like a pretty good printer. Like a 'roided out Prua Mini+. 

Those construction printers... 😲🤯 They are like "Ivan Miranda? Dr. DFlo? Pah! Hold my beer..." I just wonder where you stick wiring & ducts in those buildings, surface mount I guess.

Dude... V-Minions rip. 12 second Benchies no problem. The frame and rails are much more rigid than what's currently available which translates in less artifacts and higher quality prints but you already know that. LOL

Here's Vector-3D running it at speed. I saved the link at 2:26:34 so jump forward if it doesn't work.

Got the printer to home all axis automatically!!! Woot! Woot!

I know... it sounds dumb, like so what? Who cares LOL.

Truth be told... I had quite a good amount of futzing around to get all the klicky probe files loaded and configured. Below are a couple videos of the Switchwire Homing with the klicky probe servo arm deploying, Z probing and then detaching from the printhead.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

I know... it sounds dumb, like so what? Who cares LOL.

Well, I think it's brilliant. Sitting here watching the videos, thinking "that's cool". My daughter wanders through, looks, rolls her eyes! That's as good as "brilliant" (well it wasn't a "you watching stupid videos?")

• Haha 1

A little update...

Well... This printer has been a challenge all the way around. But I think I'm getting it dialed in.

The first few prints were severely under extruded. SO I went back and made sure the extruder settings were correct. Turned out the gear ratio was wrong and I recalibrated the rotation distance. Once I got that sorted I moved on to printing a Voron cube. The layer shifting for the Y axis was out of control and as was the X and Z. I went ahead and re-tensioned the XZ belts, calculated max motor current and set it to .85 from the original setting of .5. I then printed the blue Voron Cube (got tired of looking at that ugly green color LOL) at ~60mm/s and it turned out pretty good. Not great but we'll get there. FWIW... There aren't many, if any Superslicer profiles for the Switchwire. I guess it's just not that popular or I just haven't found a good resource yet. I'm building/tweaking an SS Switchwire profile from scratch. It's a good challenge and learning experience. Time will tell how good I get this thing printing. Right now it's acceptable, I can do better tho. Hahaha

1707387828_SW-14-1stPrints.thumb.jpg.7d7147c9a4d799a00d6f08289f1a7996.jpg

898494301_SW-15-1stPrints.thumb.jpg.a9ec74f7ea24ab2eb3afe7faf19af2fe.jpg

708033192_SW-16-1stPrints.thumb.jpg.31af4e2561391e6946f482d7a507f4a2.jpg

This is a comparison between the Switchwire and the RatRig V-Minion. Obviously the extrusion quality on the Switchwire needs some refinement. Any ideas on what might be causing the extrusion to be this irregular?

1330113652_SW-17-1stPrintsVMCompare.thumb.jpg.1ada423685a7d7fa1abe5e9cd520b812.jpg

8 minutes ago, Penatr8tor said:

There aren't many, if any Superslicer profiles for the Switchwire.

I was just saying that myself this morning.  🙂 I'm still working on my profile. I'm also struggling with finding the correct extrusion settings. I'm going back to check esteps and maybe check different filament tension settings. (cw2)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Razor1666 said:

I was just saying that myself this morning.  🙂 I'm still working on my profile. I'm also struggling with finding the correct extrusion settings. I'm going back to check esteps and maybe check different filament tension settings. (cw2)

I was hoping you'd chime in. I think this is something we could collaborate on and both learn and benefit. I'm assuming you're running a SB with CW2 like I am. I would be curious what your results look like.

Just now, Razor1666 said:

Agreed.

Yes, running SB/CW2 with an E3D V6 clone.... yeah I know. Just what I had around at the time.... I've had lots of luck with them. lol

Nothing wrong with the tried and true V6. I'm currently going thru your Switchwire build. It's coming along nicely! I just pulled the plug on another bondtech LGX Lite that I will try in the Switchwire. While I do like the 3D printed Voron Clockwork extruders... I have grown to really like the LGX Lites I have in both my V-Minion and my Voron 2.4 300^3. 

Hold the presses... I just took this Gengar print off the Switchwire and Hey... Not bad. The left one is printed on my Voron 2.4, the right one on the Switchwire. I bumped the speed up on the SW to print infill and inside perimeters at 150 mm/s and all other exterior features at 80 mm/s, Print time was 1h32m for the SW and 1h14m for the 2.4. Honestly I really shouldn't complain. I guess my expectations are much higher than they have been in the past.

1067619506_SW-18-1stPrintsVMCompare.thumb.jpg.5ecb0286b1346a76da0404c21fe18f94.jpg

• Like 3