My 2nd Voron. The 350 Trident

PFDennis

Ok. I got an explanation today for why another month has passed. Apparently, the guy in Spain who makes these harnesses by hand was about to mail my completed harness, when he had to get emergency surgery for a detached retina. He's supposed to be cleared by his physician tomorrow, so maybe he'll send it soon. I try not to feel too put out, and say that I have bad luck when first Spain had a postal strike, and this poor guy had to have eye surgery, so I'd feel guilty saying I was imposed upon. You know what they say "Nobody expects the Spanish Imposition." Ouch. Anyway, I got a few things done tonight, and I will complain about one thing without guilt. I HATE M2 screws.

V01a.jpg

• Like 1

Proceeding on with my V0.1. Things are progressing just fine. I must say I miss the good old roll in T-nuts, but otherwise it's shaping up nicely. I'm doing a couple of hours per night while I wait for the Phantom Harness. This is fun, though.

V0.1c.jpg

• Like 2

Fun indeed, but lining up those M3 nuts are a challenge at times. And Oh, don't forget to put them in like I did. I ended up putting extra nuts in for a possible Z-Belt conversion as I hate to take it all apart again.

Thanks. It's Fillamentum Extrafill ASA in Blue Grey, and same brand but Sky Blue. I think it'll be just those 2 colors. I printed that Paramount Pink ABS just to see how it'd look. I haven't decided yet.

Edited by PFDennis

Well, so far, so good, though I was surprised to find out this morning that one of my linear rails was not quite like the others. Rather than another MGN7H, it was an MGN9C. At first I thought I was sent the wrong rail, but someone in chat told me it was a mod, which is great. I have to reprint a couple of parts, but it's a lot better than trying to get the MGN7H rail from the company I bought them from and end up looking foolish. I went to the github and got the .stl files, and I'll be doing that today at some point. This is where I'm at. 

V0.1d.jpg

Put a few hours in. I'm up to preparing the print bed. I've got both a 24v 60w heater and a mains heater. The manual calls for the DC version, but I'm considering adding an SSR and putting the AC heater in. I don't know. I'm wondering how easy the DC heater can hit 100-110C. Anyway, This is where I am on the V0.1.

V0.1f.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PFDennis said:

Put a few hours in. I'm up to preparing the print bed. I've got both a 24v 60w heater and a mains heater. The manual calls for the DC version, but I'm considering adding an SSR and putting the AC heater in. I don't know. I'm wondering how easy the DC heater can hit 100-110C. Anyway, This is where I am on the V0.1.

V0.1f.jpg

Decided on an AC heater for the Voron 0, after testing both 24V and 220V (Oz) . Bed heads to 105 (for ABS)  4x faster with AV than with the DC bed. Have a 135C temp fuse soldered in for protection and a Relay cover to cover the wires. As long as you adhere to high Voltage Safety, I think this is the way to go. Replaced the VZBOT (Tronxy conversion) 24 V bed with AC bed (220V, 750W) and have not looked back. Have a 220V, 750W AC bed for the upcoming Voron 2.4r2 build as well. I am sold on the AC purely due to the time to reach temperature and the stability once it reaches temperature.

Edited by mvdveer

Thanks. I originally bought the AC heater assuming that the printers would be set up the same way, and I had built a 2.4. I realized afterward that the BOM called for 24v DC. I think I'm going to go with the AC. I don't want to struggle with reaching higher temps. I print ABS and ASA mostly. It will be asked to reach those temps regularly.

• Like 1

I am nearing the end of this V0.1. I have not been rushing it by any means. I have about half of the wiring left and installing firmware. Not a word on the Trident harness, which is probably just a lost cause. I'm going to give it another week and I'll get the refund that was offered. It isn't like it has to be made. It was completed after the first month. It somehow cannot be mailed to KB3D. I really don't get it. I ordered a 100' spool of 22 GA FEP, which will be here tomorrow. I will make my own. I must admit now to lying. My 2nd Voron will not be the 350mm Trident. It will be this.

V01i.jpg

Edited by PFDennis
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, I finished my V0.1 and everything is fine, except no matter what I do, I cannot get the MiniAB to extrude consistently. I am replacing it with an Orbiter V2, which will be here tomorrow. I'm also putting a Klicky on it. It works so well for me on the 2.4, I may as well. It is a cute little machine, and, to me, a more challenging build because of the 1515 frame. I took an STL for a nut trap and cut it down as small as I could, so I wouldn't have trouble pushing them close together. Anyway, Here she is:  

V01j.jpg

Also, I wrote to KB3D this week to inquire as to the status of my long lost Trident harness. I received a reply I did not expect. "At long last your harness is expected to arrive tomorrow! You can expect tracking information soon." I am beyond thrilled and I am finally returning to the original subject of this post

My 3rd Voron. The 350 Trident.

To be continued...

Edited by PFDennis
  • Voron FTW! 1

Today saw the end of the long road that began on March 7th of this year, when I ordered a wire harness for my Trident build. While fully expecting to wait 4-5 weeks before getting my hands on it, the 5th week came and went. I received the wire harness today 7/5. Almost 4 months to the day. It's a very nice kit. It has everything and the packaging is top notch. I can now get back to our regularly scheduled program of building the 350 Trident.HarnessKit1.thumb.jpg.ab26235343ae0b86a00e6b8d85041d46.jpgHarnessKit.thumb.jpg.a13bc5e8e846e829f6bea00964782cdc.jpg

Edited by PFDennis
  • Like 3
  • Voron FTW! 2

• 2 weeks later...

Alright. It's been a little while since I posted, but the remainder of the build pretty much went by the numbers. The Linneo wire harness was a godsend. I was so glad I waited instead of taking a refund on it. Right now, I have my other printers running, one of which is printing out the panel clips. I had already printed them in a similar color, but the shade was off enough that I didn't like the look of it. This morning, I decided to put LEDs on it, did all my preflight checklist, and she is ready to print. I'll do that as soon as I put a spool holder on it. Otherwise, here she is The 350 Trident:

Tri8.jpg

Tri6.jpg

Tri5.jpg

• Like 3

It's got a Stealthburner with Clockwork2, still in beta. The colors are both Sparta3D ABS+ Sparkle Cloud Grey, and Sparkle Bright Orange. The skirts are Paramount Purple ABS. I've also designed some corner pieces to cover the sections of LEDs that are exposed. Those are printing now.

Edited by PFDennis

• 2 weeks later...

I'm completely finished with it now, and so far, it's printing beautifully. I put together a cord yesterday with an ADXL345 and a Pi Pico and I'll be tuning input shaping today. I also received my serial. She's VT706 😄  Here's the vid , and thanks for the help and suggestions throughout the journey. Next up, I've decided to mash up a Mercury One mod and the Trident on my old Ender 5 Pro. This should also be an experience.

• Like 4