My 2nd Voron. The 350 Trident

PFDennis

I've been accumulating parts over the last few months for the new Trident, choosing every part myself. I went with a Formbot kit for my 1st, the 300 Voron2.4. Needless to say, buying the kit required all the cash up front. I was so excited to build another, I began buying parts a little at a time. It was much easier on the wallet. Shortly after I had purchased the most expensive parts, I decided to retire. Now I have plenty of time to build it. 😄 As of this post, I am short one important component. I ordered a wire harness from KB3D 6 weeks ago. It has not yet shipped. I was informed last week that I am #10 in the queue at Linneo, so it should be shipping from Spain soon...-ish. Anyway, the first part I ordered was the frame. I got it from a FYSETC store on AliExpress for about $65. The price is higher now, especially for shipping, but I happened to catch a pre-sale deal. All extrusions were the correct length, holes pre-drilled and tapped, and came individually wrapped in a thin foam.  They also came with hardware for assembly, which I did use. That became step one this morning. I have avoided AliExpress when possible, but some things are either very hard to find or the price difference is hard to ignore. T-nuts were one of those items. I mostly followed the sourcing guide on the Voron Configurator. All the motors are LDO from KB3D. Day 1 is over. The frame is together and squared up completely. Over the past few months, I have printed several sets of parts in ABS and ASA in a few different colors. I'm having trouble deciding. lol. I'm going to sleep on it. Wish me luck. (To Be Continued)

Trident1.jpg

Edited by PFDennis
Included more info
  • Like 6

That was the logic I used when self-sourcing my Trident build. Spreading the cost out is one of the advantages. Picking each component yourself is another (and also a disadvantage at times). I managed to avoid AliExpress for almost all of my build, but as you said there are some items that are very difficult to source elsewhere and a few that the price difference cannot be ignored.

I found picking printed part colors was the hardest decision of the whole build.

Day 2. I made some progress today. I decided that I wasn't going to stick to the two color format. I'll just use what I think looks good as I go. It could be a mess. I hope not. lol. The only problem I ran into today was with the motor plates. The M3x12 socket head screws just weren't long enough to grab the threads on the motor. I ended up using M3x16. It's fine. There was nothing special. Today was installing many printed parts. The rails, (purchased from KB3D) are in great shape, as are the LDO motors. I ended just before the gantry installation. It's looking good. Tomorrow, I'll get to more crucial steps. Happy with all I got done.  Still nothing on the wire harness. If I don't hear anything by Thursday, I'll contact KB3D again. If I was #10 in queue last Monday, it must be close to shipping.

Trident2.jpg

Trident3.jpg

Trident4.jpg

• Like 2

Day 3. Did not get a lot done today. I had a few obligations. Usually those come second to printers/printing, but there was no way out. 😄 . I got the gantry on. I will put the belts on tomorrow. When I was sourcing the hardware, I got everything I could from Bolt Depot. I found them very reasonably priced. They had just about everything on the BOM. I think I got 2 or 3 different sizes from McMaster-Carr. Whatever Bolt Depot didn't have in stock. I also picked up a plastic hardware case from Amazon with 34 sections, 17 on each side, and seals closed so parts don't jump dividers. I labelled the inner lid to reflect the size bolt, nut, shims, etc. It beats the little plastic bags from the kit by a mile. It was definitely worth the $15 for it on Amazon. By the time I get around to building another one, I should have a streamlined system in place. lol.  More tomorrow.

hardware.jpg

11 hours ago, PFDennis said:

$15 for it on Amazon

oh the organization - I love it so!  Can you share a link to the plastic hardware case you referenced?

Is it this guy? https://amzn.to/3L39qG9

Not to hijack the thread too much - But I have a bunch of the Stanley Organizers with removable trays (https://amzn.to/3rH13sn), I wish I would have bought WAAAY more when there were super cheap. It appears they no longer make them.

Yes, that looks like it, but I'm sure there are a few identical ones from different companies. Prices vary a little either way. That's Amazon for you. 🙂  They definitely do the job. I wish I had it when I built my 2.4.

39 minutes ago, Demosth said:

oh the organization - I love it so!  Can you share a link to the plastic hardware case you referenced?

Is it this guy? https://amzn.to/3L39qG9

Not to hijack the thread too much - But I have a bunch of the Stanley Organizers with removable trays (https://amzn.to/3rH13sn), I wish I would have bought WAAAY more when there were super cheap. It appears they no longer make them.

These are available at Menards if you have one for quite cheap, under $5 last time I was there. Home Depot probably has them reasonably too id gather. 

I always go to Harbor Freight. They have a Stanley look a like that is way cheaper. I run my rocket bay company out of them... I put one case aside for Voron hardware... I probably have 20 more that I have exchanged inside box sizes around for smaller and larger hardware.

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-bin-medium-portable-parts-storage-case-93928.html

20 Bin Medium Portable Parts Storage Case.png

• Like 1

Day 3. Got the belts on, but I'm slowing down. I contacted KB3D today regarding the wire harness. It's been produced, but will not ship from Spain until Monday. There's no need to rush this now. I will also go off manual for a bit. I see no need to do the build plate just yet. The manual has it next, but it may be the last thing that goes on after the electronics. No use having it on when I'll be flipping the printer upside down. Anyway, more tomorrow.

• Like 1

Reprinted a few parts on Day 4. I had a few color ideas. I wiped down the bed with IPA, preparing it for the heater. I noticed there are the same holes at the front of the bed as in the rear. I'm not sure why. It is a stunning slab of aluminum, however. 😄   A thing of beauty is a joy forever.  Maybe someday I'll upgrade the bed on the 2.4. The plate that came with the kit is fine, but it isn't what this one is.

TridentBed.jpg

Bed.jpg

• Like 2

I'm in a holding pattern. I was informed that the Linneo wire harness has been produced, and that I should receive shipping info before week's end. If all goes as they claim, I will get the harness next week, which will be 9 weeks rather than the 4-5 week lead time listed on the site. These days, it pays to have a little patience with supply chain and transportation shortage issues. I'm not sure that waiting double the listed time is ok, though. Maybe at least update the site so customers know what they're getting into. KB3D is usually very good, and they have shipped quickly in the past, so this one instance won't sour me on ordering from them. I purchased all the rails and motors from them, as well as various other little electronic bits. They have a nice little prewired LED setup for the Stealthburner. I picked up 3 of those. They're very convenient, as my soldering skills are average at best and those LEDs are tiny.

Speaking of Stealthburner, I'll be putting that in with Clockwork2 rather than the original AB. I'm also going with a Klicky strait away. Why not? It saves me from taking it all apart for awhile. I know I'd do it anyway. Maybe I'll even do a purge bucket, too. We'll see. That one can easily be done after the fact. The heater is on the plate with the thermal fuse, and the wiring has been done, so that's ready. I'll do a little tinkering until the harness arrives. I'll have the Stealthburner ready to go. That's it for now.

• Like 3

Heard from KB3D today. They promise the harness by week's end. Hopefully, I'll be able to get back to work and complete it over the weekend. I've been printing parts in all kinds of colors. Nothing like having choices. I could probably make the Rainbow Trident, but I don't think so. I will be interesting to see what I end up with.

• Like 2

So, I'm running around a lot since last I wrote. I'm about as far along as I'm prepared to go. Last week, the harness was being shipped from Spain, to KB3D and I'd receive tracking information for its final trip to me. None of those things occurred. It seems that just as they were putting my harness in a box there came a postal strike in Spain, causing the harness to miss its flight. I suggested to KB3D that they might change the advertised lead time on their site to more accurately reflect the true waiting period. After all, customers are making plans, much like I did. Anyway, if you try ordering a harness now, it will tell you the lead time is 7-8 weeks instead of the 4-5 weeks of my original order on March 7th (My contribution to the community up to this point. 😄 ). I have been assured that I will be emailed tracking info once the harness leaves KB3D. So, I probably won't be emailing weekly asking what's going on, as I have been. I'll wait for an email right along with that harness. Good luck postmen of Spain. Fight the good fight. Solidaridad!!   Yes, I'm a bit irritated but I've been a union man my whole life. I have to believe they're fighting for fair treatment. I've been there in my 40 yr career, and I have security now, in my retirement. I think I'm going to print a Sta Puft Marshmallow Man. Just because. I have to fill the time, right? Til next time.

I have ordered a ton of parts from KB3D in the past. I usually have my order in a few days. It isn't on them. I'm happy with their service and would even order another wire harness from them. Most of this is just some really bad luck, combined with the current state of the supply chain. As long as I know it's going to take that long, I'm fine with it. It's like ordering something from AliExpress. It's perfectly fine if you don't mind it taking 2 months for your item to arrive. 

• 2 weeks later...

So...It's week 10. Still nothing on the harness. I am at a standstill. Idle hands are the devil's playground. I've begun printing parts for a V0.1. I've also collected a few non printable parts. I'm not going to start another build until the Trident is complete, so until then, I wait.

I couldn't help it. It just popped in there.

StayPuft.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

We interrupt this program to announce that there still has been no word on when or if my wire harness will ever arrive. During this long 12 week pause, I've been collecting parts for a V0.1. I received the last parts today from AliExpress, and so this build diary will shift gears mid Trident build. I need to complete a project. I begin my Voron V0.1 tonight. Updates to follow...