Simon2.4's Voron Saga

Simon2.4

After deciding to make the move a week ago, I looked around on google to find a supplier and settled on three choices: Bluerolls Store or  FYSETC 1th Store on Aliexpress or formbot3d.com. All from China since I could not find anyone in the rest of the world with kits ready to roll off and marks as 'in stock' **more on that later but one of my main requirements is that the kit arrives quickly

Formbot3d  -  https://www.formbot3d.com/  -  1120 usd with courrier lottery (DHL/TNT/FedEx/UPS)

FYSETC 1th Store - pronounced "Fizetk Firth Store" ; )   -  https://www.aliexpress.com/store/2498059?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000007.1.349c34b2EKkljr  -  1065 usd with DHL

Bluerolls Store  -  https://www.aliexpress.com/store/2808029?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000007.1.14763867V7eQbU  -  1225 usd with DHL

Because of my past experience with Aliexpress, being too often frustrating, my choice was biased towards Formbot since they are the one with a standalone website; they had the kit marked "in stock", credible reviews and no indication of problems.

I ordered on Jan 9th and got the box on the 20th

I'm glad to report that everything arrived as expected, in good shape and well packaged in EPP foam like you've seen for others on youtube.

My build is a custom size: i'm going for 350 x 350 x 730. I simply added 400mm to the z axis swapping the 400mm rails for 800mm ones. Here's the list of stuff I got for this mod:
4 main vertical extrusions, 930mm with blind corners: MISUMI Part No:HFSB5-2020-930-LCP-RCP

4 800mm linear rails from Robotdigg: part No: GS_MGN9-1H-B800 : https://www.robotdigg.com/product/1314/Black-anodized-linear-rail-7,-9,-12-and-15

10meters of GT2-9 belt and a 1meter piece of DC1015 drag chain also From robotdigg

Apart from the enclosure panels, that's all you need.

Edited by Simon2.4
  • Like 2

• Simon2.4 changed the title to Simon2.4's Voron Saga Begins

So I started my build today... at least I intended too: The extrusions from MISUMI are bent out of the box. The packaging was exceptionally good and undamaged so this tells me they were delivered that way. Literally, the first part I pick up to start is bad... and it's the only damn part that comes from the USA... wth is going on?

2 of them are bent about 1mm over the length and one is even twisted: i can make it teeter-totter on the glass pane... sigh. Given the nature of my custom build those vertical extrusions need to be absolutely perfect. So now I get try out Misumi's customer service

On a positive note, I started working on all the sub assemblies and I'm very impressed with the mechanical design and the general feel of quality. This is the reason I chose Voron over other possible builds and I'm not disappointed.
subassemblies.thumb.jpg.b1c6192e445385ff27a8e897b9620a93.jpg

I got my ABS part printed from an Etsy seller. Since I'm in Canada, I chose someone that was close. I chose all black parts for my build.
https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/Abyss3D?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=1098918075
etsy.jpg.88904006a7c85d03ad96415b262d185b.jpg

The parts are flawless and I'm very happy with "Abyss3D" ; highly recommended!

• Like 1

NOTES:

-missing screws for holding cable chain: BOM calls for m3-8 cap head, should be m3-6 countersunk (very minor)  found them  oups

-Horrible choice of connectors for the print head just 1 of those mini molex 2pin plugs takes more space than the whole wire bundle. Considering the variety of available choices this one is very poor.  I'm going to de-pin the plugs, protect with shrink tube and just plug the 2 wires with the pins directly Since I'm unable to close the cover with those big clunky connectors. The 4-pin one for the sensor makes more sense, although latched Dupont connectors would have worked great here and are probably cheaper too.

-Cable ties from the Formbot Kit do not fit the slots on the fan cover of the head

Edited by Simon2.4
  • Like 1

Dental floss is the ideal rope to use for pulling wires in the cable chains. It's small but mighty strong and is waxed for lubrication, which helps it retain temporary knots and slide easily. Keep one in your chain until you are done filling it; when you use it, pull another one through along with the added wire.

floss.thumb.jpg.5b418e8671f4b2fc4e7f1e14c1992a0d.jpg

Adxl 345 sensor board... I was lucky to have one lying around because these have become extinct... (on Amazon) On the black market you can trade one for a liver or an eye.

Notice the fan connectors look absurd. I cut off the side clips and even then.

1863946573_sideadxl345.thumb.jpg.4fc094736f40d79834be1e770de24089.jpg

Edited by Simon2.4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Simon2.4 said:

Dental floss is the ideal rope to use for pulling wires in the cable chains. It's small but mighty strong and is waxed for lubrication, which helps it retain temporary knots and slide easily. Keep one in your chain until you are done filling it; when you use it, pull another one through along with the added wire.

This is a fantastic tip!  Thank you for sharing!

• Like 1

@Simon2.4 I too ordered a Formbot3d Voron 2.4 - it stated it was available in United States where I am located and ordered on the 11th January.

Still no shipment and last I checked they said at the end of the month however, now we I contact they are gone due to Chinese New Year.    So most likely will not see it anytime soon which I guess is fine as I also ordered a V0.1 which came from China and I received it already.

I wanted to ask you - what hotend did you choose?

I am a novice so don't know much about hotends and I ordered the V6 on the V2.4 but for some reason on the V0.1 I got the Dragon Standard Flow.

• Like 1

About Misumi:
It turns out the tolerances for 2020 extrusions are ridiculously bad. According to the catalog, being below 38mm and thinner than 2.5mm, the tolerance in bending for a 900mm extrusion is up to 3.9mm 🤮. So After a week of waiting I guess I need to learn how to tweak extrusions. I did just buy a dial indicator I'm sure I can figure something out... As long as the rails are parallel, I think.
https://in.misumi-ec.com/pdf/fa/2014/p2_513_583.pdf

I have bold plans for adding rigidity to the elongated height. I'm working on something really cool that will hopefully address this problem too; I'll publish it when I'm done but in the meantime I suppose I can move forwards and hope for the best.

• Like 1

• Simon2.4 changed the title to Simon2.4's Voron Saga

Coming along nicely, I'm ready to put it on its back to do the final wiring underneath.

Once stuck in the structure, the 'less than perfect' extrusions are not that bad, I measured less than 0.5mm variation from top to bottom on all parallels, which is very good: I figure it's within normal expected flexure during use for such a delicate structure; I don't feel any resistance when moving the axis.

20220128_200023.thumb.jpg.2238228bd26a24feb6c165b4da59d993.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 3dKaosMonkey said:

Looks great... I am a totally green on this stuff.... why Klipper and Octoprint?   Do you have to run two Raspberry Pis?

Kliper is the firmware that runs on the main board (octopus in my case) Klipper also need a big CPU to process the control in real time so it unloads that to the Pi.
Octoprint is a secondary software that runs on the Pi and gives you web access to remote control your printer. It also has utilities like an interface to view your printer cam if you have one and make time lapse movies of your prints.

octoprint.thumb.jpg.cf71dd1716ac6eb752feeb690ffd0e47.jpg

Edited by Simon2.4

On 1/27/2022 at 9:13 AM, 3dKaosMonkey said:

@Simon2.4 I too ordered a Formbot3d Voron 2.4 - it stated it was available in United States where I am located and ordered on the 11th January.

Still no shipment and last I checked they said at the end of the month however, now we I contact they are gone due to Chinese New Year.    So most likely will not see it anytime soon which I guess is fine as I also ordered a V0.1 which came from China and I received it already.

I wanted to ask you - what hotend did you choose?

I am a novice so don't know much about hotends and I ordered the V6 on the V2.4 but for some reason on the V0.1 I got the Dragon Standard Flow.

Did you start your V0.1 ?  you should have a very similar config to do as well

customizations:

I added a stainless heat shield under the bed. It's fixed on the extrusions with VHB tape and does not interfere with the bed mounting. As a base material, I used an el-cheapo stainless baking pan from Amazon that had the right dimensions. It has nice folded sides and is surprisingly thick: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00A0I32LQ/

37107789_heatshield.thumb.jpg.28abaa0524e55bc19df8849a4abb2401.jpg

I mounted the webcam on the gantry because of the height of my machine. There was very little choice for internal mounting that would show enough detail from top to bottom. I don't know if it's going to be good; I'll see when I start using it.

Also, the vertical cable chain looked janky and interfered with my webcam placement so I used an extra part I had to make a guide that keeps it straight and vertical while sliding on it.

393063797_camandchainguide.thumb.jpg.b8b457733ab7038c9bc7e73caf60b47d.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3dKaosMonkey said:

Congrats on the first print!     What do you plan on printing with such a large vertical build volume?   

RC planes, boats, cosplay items, print for hire, etc etc

Next to do:
-Tension belts properly
-Build the Enclosure

-Pressure advance tuning
-Input shaper

and given the quality of my first layer, I don't see the utility in messing around with bed mesh ? unless I missed something ? maybe with higher temperatures I'm going to see bed deformation. For now PLA prints like magic.

Edited by Simon2.4