Voron Micron 180. The tiny gimmick v2.5143

Maurici

• 1 month later...

Hey Maurici,

I've read through this build log and am very impressed. Kudos on an excellent-looking build!

I'll begin by saying I don't need another 3d printer but definitely want one. I currently own an X1CC, a v0.1, and two MercuryOne.1 CoreXY machines (one started as an Ender 5, and the other was self-built. They have 275mm^2 and 255mm^2 kinematic beds sitting on linear rails and three leadscrews, a-la ratrig style).

I've been eyeballing the Blurolls Micron+ 180 kit for quite a while. Its 180mm bed and the small overall footprint seem like a nice size. (If I felt I could afford it, I'd build an Annex K3... lol)

I read the negative comments on the AliExpress listing (including the one I believe is yours) and the well-portrayed issues in this thread. However, for some [totally unexplainable and probably irrational] reason, I still want to build this machine 😬  I've always wanted a 2.4, but building another medium-sized machine makes no sense as I already have 2 (actually 3 if you count the X1CC...) with somewhat similar build volume and my bench space isn't limitless.

I did contact Blurolls on AE and asked if the customers' feedback was taken into account for improving the kit. They responded positively and assured me that the frame extrusions are cut to < 0.2mm tolerance (I'm not 100% convinced it is reassuring..), plus they have a premium option with LDO stepper motors and supposedly Hiwin linear rails, which is probably what I'll go for if I buy the kit eventually. BTW, they list the BOM as updated on April 28, 2023.

After this long story comes the question - Should I or should I not buy this kit? I am willing to tackle minor issues and can self-source the necessary missing bits, but if it comes down to self-sourcing 1515 extrusions and cutting them, I will have to scrap this idea, as I don't have access to the proper machinery to perform that... Oh, and what's the story with the KGLM-03 Bearings, which are not included in the kit? I can't seem to find them on Ali... 

Hi @gargamel778. Thanks for the nice words. Was a frustrating but rather satisfactory build at the end, is by far the best machine I own and the most reliable. Is pretty much press print and forget.

Now to the topic. Should you buy this kit.

If you really want a micron 180 Kit I believe is the only available/afordable option.

I would scrap the Ide of the LDO motors or the Hinwin rails... after what are currently 180 hours of printing, all works fine an the quality is really good. Go cheap, upgrade only what you need. The supplied motors are just fine when ran at low current, but sufficient to print up to 250mm/s with 10k accelerations. Unless you are commited to build a racer, I´m pretty sure with the basic kit you´ll survive.

I won´t EVER buy again from blurolls as they were twatts with me, but ultimately I built the printer with MOST of their stuff.

RE-Extrusions, HARTK has updated the rear joints to work well with the extrusions suplied and no need to worry about it. Aside of the rear extrusion of the gantry, everything else was pretty much OK.

From memory, you will need to self source the wheels for the Z axis (unless you want to go printed), some new foam unless they have updated their BOM, and probably a few bolts, their bolts were poor quality and of unacurate lenght.

The KGLM are not needed, there is a workaround in the instructions to use a single bolt as a pivot pin in each axis and works perfectly fine.

Good luck, and tag me in your build log (because I know you´ll end buying it). I´ll be more than happy to help with watever questions arise during the build!

• Voron FTW! 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh. Btw, join the discord channel ASAP. Something I regret not doing when i built mines that would have saved me quite a lot of fiddling...

However I was very well supported by the 2.4 army here in the forum.... at the end you are simply building an small 2.4 so all the config files and so are easy enough to transfer!

Definitely, if i (eventually) managed, with my -easy to get frustrated- personality, im sure with persistence everyone can.

• Like 1

Thanks for your suggestion @claudermilk! I know the quality of LDO's kits, though I wasn't aware Fabreeko sells a Micron kit. 

Unfortunately, I live outside the US, and therefore ordering from Fabreeko is a less viable option for me.
Fabreeko’s shipping estimator shows a minimum extra of $140 for shipping (higher cost for faster couriers). 
On top of this I’ll need to pay %25 taxes, which will make this the most expensive Micron in the world, especially when considering the additional components I'll have to purchase, such as mainboard, hotend, etc. 🙄

When shipping from China, most often than not, orders pass without extra customs and duty, plus the Chinese kits has some components that the LDO kit doesn't (even if they aren't the ideal ones).

(Edited for clarity)

Edited by gargamel778

6 hours ago, gargamel778 said:

which will make this the most expensive Micron in the world

I think I can say it is more expensive in Australia:

image.thumb.png.2396d77bf9308545ca11884d6248740c.png

Normally try and find a local supplier, but no one stocks the Micron. And I must sayFabreeko has quality products and excellent service and happy to support them from afar.

Ouch. I was afraid that was your situation. It looks like there's a Funssor kit on Ali as well. Other than that, I'm not familiar with what's available outside the US. Another option is to self-source, but that's a lot more work on your part. I self-sourced my Trident just before all the great kits became available and am not sorry I did--of course I'm just the kind of weird masochist that likes searching out all the parts and where to get them from.

• Like 1