Voron Micron 180. The tiny gimmick v2.5143

Maurici

Nice!

It's amazing what is available for flooring now. I was shocked when researching my remodel 3 (?!) years ago. My sister is now doing research for her kitchen remodel, and is also shocked--even though she just had bathrooms done.

Also...that desktop image. You? Your car? Local GOMs/gearheads want to know.

46 minutes ago, claudermilk said:

Also...that desktop image. You? Your car? Local GOMs/gearheads want to know.

Thanks!

The cars... I used to race Seven-esque cars...

The first (185hp Yamaha R1 engine)

image.jpeg.b5fc0c602e11016009474096a389c556.jpeg

The second, 275hp Vauxal Redtop Race engine

image.thumb.jpeg.7292d97c5719cbdc09e7a202ab2431d6.jpeg

The third. ZETEC 1,8 200hp

image.thumb.jpeg.e1747422944e92bd1185021c99a0c434.jpeg

And the fourth.

MNR CRB1000 RGB1000

image.thumb.jpeg.13176d3d2e395cc3a6dd9da397c8f114.jpeg

Then... I ran out of money, and did an MX5 monoposto to keep my track seat alive...

image.jpeg.e8522bb556ee37eb25912c51662af608.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Voron FTW! 1

and we have a frame. Kinda.

ITs going to be a royal pain to do.

Forgot to gauge in my decisionmaking that the instructions are for the MICRON. Micron +180 is a variant of a mod of a varian... so I have to make up most of the measures...

image.thumb.jpeg.81bb4f2299f8369f4e2f60db0db8bd0d.jpeg

• Like 2

well, assembled the bottom Z pulleys for the Z drive. I didn´t realised how shockingly bad the print quality of this parts is... I´ll have to re-print them. I don´t know what really happened here.

Anyway. to the practical bit, As suggested by @Simon2.4 I used bought pulleys rather than the printed ones. once again deviating from the original build instructions introduced some challenges. Printed spacers would not fit and I had to shim the pulleys with washers to center them between the bearings. all is now buttery smooth however it took like 3 or 4 times more than what it was meant to take.

image.thumb.jpeg.cf760cf1976777392223622c23234be9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0f1fc34207a2a4c068f8e4d5ea2c584f.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Voron FTW! 1

I´m slowly progressing trough the build, and so far I´m unimpressed by many things.

1st the blurolls kit, hardware isn´t great, the screws and bolts are made of candy, and some are even off centre. Also, the kit is rather basic. While the instructions call for a sexbolt and cliky (makes sense, one for homing the other for the meshing) there is no material to do the sexbolt. I´ve improvised one as I have quite a lot of hardware laying around, but let´s say I spend most of my day yesterday prototyping that thing, and while not entirely happy, I´ll work. Will see what else is not available while I progress troug the build.

2nd... Not building a mainstream printer, and without propper VORON support and revision trough its releases, the instructions have several flaws that I´m dealing with while I find them... So far, measurements, bolt lenghts and so... but now I´m rather stuck. Instructions call for a bracket for the electronics that isn´t available. The STEP file of the whole printer doesn´t really helps as is a basic micron 100, not the 180.

image.png.02c104a21ebb3b3dea7391cb3072ed28.png

Also, very limited amount of wiring, clips and connections are available in the kit too. I will eventually figure it all up, I´m stubborn, and once working will be even more rewarding, but will take time.

Any experiences about the clicky vs sexbolt? should I use only one of the systems?

I read you, And I would love your imputs.

Thanks

Maurici.

• Like 1

Klicky & Sexbolt aren't an either/or. They are an and.

Sexbolt is the mod for Z endstop. It's just using a captive Chicago screw instead of a simple rod in a pulley; the point is to give a larger propbe point and so it won't fall out.

Klicky replaces the inductive probe using a dockable mechanical switch instead.

I had both on my Trident before moving to Tap and they work together well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, claudermilk said:

Sexbolt is the mod for Z endstop. It's just using a captive Chicago screw instead of a simple rod in a pulley; the point is to give a larger propbe point and so it won't fall out.

thanks.

I´ve improvised this...

Lets see how it works... meanwhile I´ll try to find the propper hadware...

Imagen de WhatsApp 2023-02-27 a las 15.34.08.jpg

well. we have a gantry.

image.thumb.jpeg.fd385c87797e941accfb517b9ffaab03.jpeg

Also a word of warning. Avoid blurolls. What a mistake going with this people.

halfway to the build, and aside of being a very basic kit (and for the price, really is way overpriced), 

This is what is meant to be a 185mm extrusion

image.thumb.jpeg.3f22ed6f4b4fecd0dfa59072735718d2.jpeg

(shit ruler... but is not 5mm off)

image.thumb.jpeg.0acb9609b35848e1a25c5bfd3817395c.jpeg

This is meant to be an M3x8mm... (so none of the joints can be done, I had to resource to my own stash of 8mm m3...)

I´ll keep going... Who knows what else I will find.

Meanwile I´m in conversation with them and I expect some sort of refund or replacement... I understand the kit may not be 100% complete, but If I pay for bolts and extrusions, I expect them to be usable, not having to sort it myself really.

anyway. after the venting... I´ve done a dry fit of the gantry and is looking good and well squared.

Thankfully I had a few spare extrusions from the v0, and I was able to cut one of the short gantry extrusions to the correct size.

I´ve also assembled the toolhead of choice. I know I´m meant to use one of the trendy AF or SB... but I´m happy how the mini aftersherpa with the skeleton extruder performs with ABS, and so far I´ll stick with it.

I have now to pull it all apart again and start with belts!

image.thumb.jpeg.f225bc3c454cdbd452dd500f0106aeeb.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, claudermilk said:

Oh, BTW, during the dry trial of the gantry toolhead, I´ve realised that there is no space for the Z probe "sexbolt" thingy without losing 30mm of bed (best case scenario) so I now understand why the in the 180´s bom the sexbolt isn´t there. I´m guessing the clicky will have to do as a Z probe. Shame as I spent a lot of time doing that bodge! XD

Edited by Maurici
  • Like 1

One helluva journey, but it's good to see it documented as it will certainly help others......it might be worth changing the title of the build to "Micron 180 - There be monsters!". I have to say bit dissappointed to hear about the quality (or lack) of the Blurolls kit. I thought they were a reasonable supplier.

and we are belted.

This time I´ve not made the same mistake I did in the V0 and left plenty of remainders to grab and tension or to release as requiered...

Gotta love all the time spent trying to square and level things up just to mangle the whole printer and do mega contorsion to put the belts in place... XD.

The best bit is that on ce again, blurolls has exceled and the belt provided was insufficient...  thankfully I had some leftovers from the switchwire.

image.thumb.jpeg.b16ece9086afca9bda1447b2d3ddd369.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cde0930799ecc9e26516481fa75b56de.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a65f48c03d3b49a4f071710da6563fc2.jpeg

Edited by Maurici

16 hours ago, Maurici said:

This is what is meant to be a 185mm extrusion

Damn, same as Smirk says, thats really poor quality from Blurolls, dont have any experience with them, but 8mm bolts that are off and the extrusion thats just bad...

Compliments on still putting it toghether, lloks great and cool colors, looking forward to the finished product...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Buurman said:

Damn, same as Smirk says, thats really poor quality from Blurolls, dont have any experience with them, but 8mm bolts that are off and the extrusion thats just bad...

Compliments on still putting it toghether, lloks great and cool colors, looking forward to the finished product...

I´m gessing it comes out of expectations.

I´ve been involved building two V0s from LDO, and then my own V0 from fysect (ish) as I self sourced many things... All were a joy to build. It means something that LDO is the most praised kit, and fysect the mos sold and the one with more revisions of the most popular printer.

Then my switchwire, all self sourced and re-designed by myself... it also was a joy.

This one is a niche printer, with limited feedback and only one revision in the kit.

However, the bolts being unuseable, the belts being short (I´m affraid they dropped the same cut as for a micron 100) and extrusions out by 5mm I still consider it unexcusable.

Oh well. I´ve left the problems with them. worst case scenario, at least I hope they will take it on board and the following users will have a better experience.

• Sad 1

Yeah, I hear the LDO kits are good, if available, but they should as being the most pricy one also.

I have build now 10+ Formbot kits 2.4 350's mostly and never disappointed me yet, they become better and better.

Had 3 issues over the last year, but all been resolved by support, new Octopus board, build plate and wires ones each.

but never had a extrusion being a 0.10mm off... or more.. of 8mm bolt not being 8mm 😛 thats just strange..

All in all, everything to each own choice, its a journey every time 😛  

anyway. We´ll focus onto the positive.

The colour scheme looks really good (I had my doubts when I saw the blue bits printed on their own).

image.thumb.jpeg.6f3942cc82f8b689834f0d26e074f29a.jpeg

Quite a shame in retrospect, that most of it din´t print very well.

now I´ve discovered that the blue wants 5 degrees less on nozzle temperature to match the results. Not a problem, is my first flying gantry and I´ve probably screwed up somewhere and will need rebuilding down the line. Now I know how to print the blue bits.

• Like 2

Boy that kit is really making things harder for you. i'm happy  that you are able to make progress in spite of the deficiencies.

For the Sexbolt setup, I went with the DFH kit. I had Chicago screws located at Amazon, but I didn't need 100 of them. 😆 Or 10 of the bronze sleeves. The kit ended up cheaper, and a lot less extra parts to sit around.

• Like 1

• Maurici changed the title to Voron Micron 180. The tiny gimmick v2.5143