Voron Micron 180. The tiny gimmick v2.5143

Maurici

So, following the tradition of asking for advice in a forum and then doing completely the opposite (coming from here)

I decieded to build a micron 180.

Why? Well. I started saying I didn´t really need this printer, but I rather wanted it to replace my maxi cartesian. But I don´t really want to do so. In my big cartesian I only print very specific BIG stuff in Petg, and It doesn´t really needs to be replaced Aside of this, It was my first printer, started as an ender pro... and I´ve modified and learned with it. It was a point she was my only one, and would also print PC... WITHOUT ENCLUSURE, this is how dialed she is... so... I´m kinda attached to it.

My switchwire is my go to for technical materials (primarily PC and PA12CF) and also works as backup for parts that won´t fit in the Zero...  and the V.0 is currently my most used printer mainly for ABS and ASA... and some nylon, unless the parts won´t fit. My setup is currently just perfect, and to fit a big corexy I would need to "scrap" the big cartesian.

Then... checked the stuff I do print, and even for customers, 90% of my prints fit in a 160 bed. Investigated a bit to see If i could build a bigish salad fork... and ended into the micron.

For what I´ve seen is an scaled down 2.4... with a 180x180 bed. Awesome. Small enough. A voron. Big enough too... so I can keep my setup.

Currently on the stage of decieding if self sourcing (coz I have quite a lot of reusable rubbish around) or buying a chinesium Kit.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005081673868.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.14.399f7815ZTsXy5&pdp_npi=2%40dis!GBP!£474.59!£450.86!!!!!%40211b88ef16755535056584336e1429!12000031570973894!sh

So... I will have a flying gantry, and small footprint, still easy to keep warm irrespectively of where the bed is, and... it fits just fine in my empty space, and I don´t need to think what to do with the switchwire nor the big cartesian!

Yihaaaaa.

Who has any experience with it?

Colours suggestions? my switchwire and V0 are purple... should I stick with it?

Edited by Maurici
  • Like 2
  • Voron FTW! 1

Micron is super cute and extra quirky. It's pricey and overbuilt but I totally get it! 🥰 I haven't seen any build yet and looking forward to seeing yours!

Bluerolls has a good reputation and unless you are making a racer, the Chinesium bits work quite well. I sourced my kit from Formbot.

Cheers

I don´t find it that pricey. Is a bit more expensive than a 0... considerably cheaper than a 2.4... with clicky, and flying gantry. And probably trickier to build... so i expect a nice experience.

Edited by Maurici
  • Like 2
  • Voron FTW! 1

Well then. I will be patient this time, and I will document the build.

Mister blurolls in chinesiaxpress is getting my order tomorrow. Wanted to wait till the payday, but... why? I´m going to spend it anyway.

image.thumb.png.14b3adde4ee7beafe322b29e21bd5587.png

Filament is on its way to crack on printing, and the excel file on what to print is also generated wit quantities, and colours. I will dropp the file here, as is useful for future builds. I´m hanging an unfiltered version for 180. If someone uses it, It really needs filtering AT LEAST on the toolhead and the bed drilling tools.

Print list.xlsx

image.thumb.png.8df7e0ada5910cdce8dbb9cf0579c44c.png

The eagle_Eyed may already be able to spot the colours of the prints.

Of course, they will go on black extrusions. I like the hardware to have hardware colour so is clear what and what not is printed (yeah, ok, and because the kits come only in black).

Hope the file is usefull for someone. I wish that was already done... is quite time consuming, and the github interface or the file structure, isn´t really the best to keep tabs on what one has printed... I was going to upload the one I did for the Zero too, but I never filtered that one rather than went part by part, and isn´t really useful for anything else than my build.

So excited.

As my life has now taken a crazy turn, and I don´t have the free time I had when I built the zero (and this is the reason why my switchwire isn´t quite up to standart) this build will be slow.

Also, the kit isn´t pre-crimped... and I hate (really) wiring, so... I may as well leave the hardware assembled in sort of 2 or 3 days... and the wiring may take a gazilion years.

Plenty of beers and Spanish home made food is available for whoever in uk wants to spend a sunday crimping with me.

Edited by Maurici
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Maurici said:

Plenty of beers and Spanish home made food is available for whoever in uk wants to spend a sunday crimping with me.

Well @smirk has several times professed his love for crimping - he may be up for a beer and spanish food😇

Noooo - it should be haggis, neeps and tatties or perhaps cullen skink, I could hear him say.😂

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Maurici said:

Not sure if beer and crimping goes well together 😉 (or perhaps that's just me, I'm a cheap date these days).

• Haha 2

aaaaand we are off. Also, kind of a personal punishment... I want to stay true to the motto "from vorons to vorons" and I´ll print as much as I can with the V0. Despite some of the parts WII need to be printed with the switchish ware due size.

image.thumb.jpeg.913c8f88b02cdf2f8b9a624983722fbb.jpeg

Seeing the pictures... I could do an step back and tune pressure advance for this filament... oh, nevermind.

Edited by Maurici
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, smirk said:

Not sure if beer and crimping goes well together 😉 (or perhaps that's just me, I'm a cheap date these days).

I strongly disagree. Its very ell known that alcohol, electronics and wiring, pair just as good as cheap wine and cheese.

You are not meant to do it, you know you will ruin both but feels soooo good to do so.

MR chinessiumexpress got my order today. I´m guessing I´m going to have a nice surprise soon from someone´s majesty  claiming some customs pennies...

I still don´t know how I will find time to put this thing together, but can´t wait.

If you check the times my posts go up... (uk time) you may find an unhealthy trend...

Edited by Maurici
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Simon2.4 said:

is there a reason why the gt-2 64tooth pulleys are printed?  you can find some here with the right specs (9mm width, 5mm bore) for 5usd each  https://www.robotdigg.com/product/1865/Voron-3D-Printer-black-anodized-16,-20,-64-and-80-tooth-GT2-pulley

Didn´t even check. They are in the BOM to be printed, They don´t come as part of the hadware list of the kit, and I´m all in on using as much printed stuff as possible.

I´m guessing the performance may be lower so this is why you ask? if is the case, I´ll just retrofit a propper hardware ones.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maurici said:

I´m guessing the performance may be lower

well I guess that depends on the precision of your prints but when I looked at the F3d CAD file, I noticed the strange z axis assembly that seems a bit "band aid" as if the original designer didn't have access to 64t pulleys at reasonable price. Amazon sells them for 50$ a piece so that might be an explanation. If I was to build this printer, which I very well may 🤤, I would get the aluminum pulleys for sure. Nice progress, keep it up!

31 minutes ago, Simon2.4 said:

well I guess that depends on the precision of your prints but when I looked at the F3d CAD file, I noticed the strange z axis assembly that seems a bit "band aid" as if the original designer didn't have access to 64t pulleys at reasonable price. Amazon sells them for 50$ a piece so that might be an explanation. If I was to build this printer, which I very well may 🤤, I would get the aluminum pulleys for sure. Nice progress, keep it up!

Could well be. Aliexpress sells them cheap too, but 64T arn´t easy to find for what I see. I´m wondering what was the problem on using the much more common 60T and sort the drive ratio via firmware. I´m sure there is some sort of reasonable answer that escapes my knowledge on CNC hardware...

Meanwhile... you would be glad to know that I´ve rescinded the idea to stick only with the V0... since my switchishware gained Voron statuts yesterday night with her serial.

I´m now trippled my output speed having multiplied my build surface....

Working from home was great, before I had two printers and two enclosed chambers at 50 degrees... and a 3rd giant printer printing valentine presents... My studio is beyond warm. thinking about spreading the printers around the house... I may save something in heating!!!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, not really. The SWMBO is 40 tomorrow (im chasing closely) and apparently there is a whole week of celebrations including the weekend... so... I can't see myself starting till next week.

well. A bit of home improvement.

As working space and workbench/desk is as important as the tools.... I´ll share something I did in 40 minutes that I´m proud of. (yeah, normally my DIY stuff sucks)

When I moved to this house 6 years ago... I did setup my studio in a very dodgy way. I was skint and I thought I would do it down the line...

That never happened... the studio was getting more and more stuffed, and It was no longer reasonable to dismantle it to re-do it.

MY table tops were cheap furniture pannels that would be easily scratched and in a very ugly satin white almost impossible to clean (panels recomisioned from the skip).

Yesterday night I though I had to do something about it before my next build.

Thought about it during 30 seconds while scouting B&M webpage till I hit the idea. Had to be cheap, easy to do without having to dismantle the whole setup.

Lets "floor" the table top. It will be scratch resistant, cheap, easy to do, and replaceable.

50 quid after for 6 square meters (5.5 of desks to cover)...

image.thumb.jpeg.f290416f23cfa9fc17dacee036724501.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ae97f01f7fd476e3052f74c8641bf134.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a1b0cd90828607d2844b0242bc6a921e.jpeg

The building glass is already waiting in the working area for the micron to arrive.

So happy with the result.

• Maurici changed the title to Voron Micron 180. The tiny gimmick v2.5143