Voron Adjacent Modding Journey

atrushing

Well, it makes sense that the last thing that I plugged in is what caused the problem. When I disconnected the filament unload button and turned on the printer Klipper connected to the MCU just fine. The unload button was connected to one of the SPI pins so maybe that was the problem.

Now it is time to work on the enclosure so I can get it printing ABS.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, atrushing said:

Now it is time to work on the enclosure so I can get it printing ABS.

Definitely looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I've got a 3.0 printhead with Rapido ready to install on mine but I want to do some wire management and install a drag chain for the Y axis wires to run inside of. Going to be a little design work involved so that will be fun.

Good luck, I'm really enjoying your build progress. Good Stuff 👍

• Like 1

I switched the X and E steppers over to the proper spec motors. The Z axis doesn't have any problems with the extra weight so I saw no need to limit the machines potential and the extruder motor was getting a bit too hot and enclosing the printer will only make that worse.

By now I've tried printing at least 10 Voron cubes and I think I have the speed/current settings dialed in and I was able to find a good pressure advance value while I was at it. So, now it is printing at 200mm/sec and 10,000mm/sec^2 acceleration. The Z is working fine at 100mm/sec as long as I slow the probing down a little and the IR probe is working a treat. I have noticed that the degree of texture on the bed will effect the readings so I will need to define offsets for different build surfaces.

• Like 3

I have noticed that the degree of texture on the bed will effect the readings so I will need to define offsets for different build surface

That was one of the  mind-blowing parts of the Voron Live stream. Their demos of Tap where it was showing the Kapton tape on the bed (laid out in the Voron logo & you could see it, AND where the pieces crossed). Even more jaw-dropping was the examples where you could see where the screws held the linear rails to the extrusion because it was picking up the sag. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, claudermilk said:

Their demos of Tap where it was showing the Kapton tape on the bed

The Tap looks like metrology level accuracy! I don't think the IR sensor is in the same ballpark but it would be interesting taking the time to map surfaces like they did.

The RatRig textured PEI plate was a great deal at €14.04 when I ordered it and the adhesion is good but the texture is quite grainy and I think it scatters the IR light a bit. I will be sticking a smooth PEI sheet on the underside and then I can see how the sensor handles the two different sides.

Looks good but I think that if you go full enclosure... you might want to consider removing the stock spool holder so that you don't have to notch out the enclosure frame. Plus you can't use a filament dryer if the spool is hanging on the side of the printer.

1 hour ago, Penatr8tor said:

you might want to consider removing the stock spool holder so that you don't have to notch out the enclosure frame. Plus you can't use a filament dryer if the spool is hanging on the side of the printer.

I don't use a filament dryer and I'm pretty happy with the spool location but it does make the enclosure harder to design. I think I'll try if I can mount the holder from the front of the vertical extrusion.

2023-01-16-190622_1920x1054_scrot.thumb.png.40bf926cceafe2e67053f117253baf0d.png

For now, I'm focusing more on a Mini Stealth Sherpa and my HexRAT extruder. Sometimes i have to let my mind wander elsewhere to find a solution to a tricky problem..

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2023 at 2:45 PM, Buurman said:

Really curious (as I send you in PM) about the Mini Stealth Sherpa!! 

I keep thinking that the Mini Stealth Mini Sherpa is ready to publish but then I get more useful feature requests on the other Mini Stealth variants. I don't want to release the Mini S² and then have to post an update three days later.

At least when I do finally release the files it should be very up to date with all of the new features! Of course this also keeps pushing back the enclosure work that I'm trying to design for my V-Minion..

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

It has been a while since I've provided any updates to the progress of this project. I have since re-built my Sidewinder into a 310x310x350mm Switchwire which I plan on enclosing soon.

20230424_141023.thumb.jpg.f43a105f71852433a724c409fd154920.jpg

I am still too busy with other projects (not all exactly printer related)

20230424_141130.thumb.jpg.0fd273c1296c6aa50e48c4d2cd2e1103.jpg

to tackle the V-Minion enclosure design but I may have decided on a slightly different path to having a 180mm printer capable of printing ABS...

20230423_130926.thumb.jpg.d5b02d891e4fe479fc22641ba8229d28.jpg

I suppose I will start a new build log when the design is more on the plastic side than the pixel side!

For now I am trying to conquer the hiccups which have been keeping me aggravated for the last 7 days straight...

• Like 1