Keep the mods coming - Boxed-Tri-V0

mvdveer

14 minutes ago, Buurman said:

Does this mean, custom windows all around, and top? 

Yes, I assume so, Have not even thought about that yet.

According to the designer of the box zero:

Enclosure

You can use the default V0 enclosure parts, or much better, can move to ZeroPanels, which clip in without screws, nuts, magnets, or tape. They're perfect for this application”

14 minutes ago, Buurman said:

Replacing the corner sounds like a fun job then.

Not too bad, as no screws involved, just need to print them.

Edited by mvdveer

4 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Finished crimping for the evening. But will have to get the soldering iron out again. Having build this from four different sources, I overlooked the Y-endstop, until I came to connecting the end stops - wait - there is one missing. The Y. Why-oh-why?

Just curious more than anything but why have x and y on  different controllers? I ask as I would have been tempted to keep them together. Guess it's not as important as keeping multiple motors from the same axis on the same controller but I tend to think of x and y working in unison. Also clearly too late  as the cable is cut - so feel free to say "Haud yer wheest". Anyway, looking like cabling gold at the moment, I'm impressed by fat-fingered Rapunzel (sure that's due for release in time for Christmas).

3 hours ago, Buurman said:

crappy tophat...

Sadly I'd concur with your indepth and cutting critique. Just built mine today and it's the part of the build I hate the most.

4 hours ago, smirk said:

have x and y on  different controllers?

Y is not yet on the controller boar, that's how I realised it was missing - working out the configuration - have to solder and install. Will be on the same board as X and Z and probe. Agree that they should all be together. Is how I tried to group things. 

Knew I should NOT have used these stupid BTT SKE miniE3 boards, even though I had them . Struggling to get the TMC drivers configured. Have posted a question in the FAQ section but also ordered an Octopus board which should be here day after tomorrow (thus could not complete my goal of building a printer from spares/leftover parts)

But I deserve it, after struggling all afternoon and evening to get this issue resolved.Should have known better!

What @smirk would probably say: "Whit's fur ye'll no go past ye." Doesn't mean I have to like what's happening.

Here is the progress so far - at least NO magic SMOKE

image.thumb.jpeg.50f4622362450fda296d147b453dfbc9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2df09d51f98ebef814bad4a9accf12a2.jpeg

On 11/29/2022 at 4:06 AM, mvdveer said:

Crimping was NEVER this easy - might get to enjoy it- yet. 

IMG_3352.thumb.jpeg.a3e54d5c7599b80a09dd2f5676b5e0fc.jpeg

That is the crimper I like best. The motion of the dies is linear and is IMO, the best for loading the lug and having it held in place on the first click and I don't know the term used for these parts, pins, sockets, receptacles, Anyone? Once it's held in place just insert the wire and squeeze. Agree, Once I got a pair of those my attitude toward crimping has improved, somewhat, well a little. 

Edited by Penatr8tor
  • Like 1

Well it has come alive. Solved the problem with the dual SKR MINI E3 V3 boards. (Answer posted in the FAQ section)

Another interesting/annoying/stupid/ridiculous thing about this board was getting it to flash. Have tried formatting the 16GB SD cards to FAT, FAT32, EXFAT, Allocation sizes from 32 kilobytes all through to 8192 kilobytes, but could not get it to flash. And yes, I did change Klipper.bin to firmware.bin. Did NOT work.

Well had to be FIRMWARE.bin for it to flash in the end.

(Cannot get any SD cards smaller than 16GB anymore - or difficult to get - some reports state the size of the card may be a problem)

Well this is where I am at:

IMG_3372.thumb.jpeg.453446d533afbc7ce877e39a11134a79.jpeg

Let's start the configuration checks

Just as I thought I got ahead, I am now getting a permanently triggered X-Stop. Have replace the X-stop microswitch, wiring and X-stop port on the board. No change.

Still throws the same error. Guess I'll have to wait for that octopus board to arrive.

Could be a faulty toolhead board as well. Oh the joys of building a 3D Printer.....

@Lerk See the following link for European distributors:

https://www.makerbeam.com/service/disclaimer/

Europe

Austria

ConstrAct (MakerBeam, MakerBeamXL black and clear, custom cut profiles)

Belgium (and France)

MCHobby (MakerBeam black and clear, OpenBeam)

Belgium
(and The Netherlands)

Elektronicavoorjou.nl (MakerBeam black and clear, OpenBeam).

Denmark

MiniElektro.dk (MakerBeam black and clear)

Estonia

Robolabor.ee (MakerBeam black)

France

Lextronic (MakerBeam black and clear, OpenBeam, MakerBeamXL)
Génération Robots (MakerBeam black and clear).

Germany

Chartup.com or makerbeam.de (MakerBeam black and clear, OpenBeam, MakerBeamXL all accessories and custom cut profiles and threaded new ends on the hollow core); 
qfix robotics and Amazon.de (MakerBeam black and clear); 
TinkerForge (MakerBeam black); 
Rasppishop.de (MakerBeam);
Génération Robots (MakerBeam and MakerBeamXL);
Elektronicavoorjou.nl (MakerBeam black and clear, OpenBeam).

Great Britain

Technobots (MakerBeam black and clear, MakerBeamXL black, OpenBeam)

Italy

ValeProg (MakerBeam clear and TinkerForge);
StepLab (MakerBeam black, OpenBeam black).

Poland

Nettigo (MakerBeam black);
V-SLOT OPENBUILDS Polska (MakerBeam and MakerBeamXL black and clear).

Portugal

PTRobotics (MakerBeam black and clear);
botnroll.com (MakerBeam black).

Spain

Personal robotics with MakerBeam (www.makerbeam.es) and OpenBeam (www.openbeam.es)

Switzerland

PLAY-ZONE or makerbeam.ch (MakerBeam black and clear, OpenBeam)
3DWare.ch (MakerBeam black and OpenBeam, MakerBeamXL)

The Netherlands

Hackerstore (MakerBeam black);
Electronicavoorjou (MakerBeam black and clear, OpenBeam); 
Metaalwinkel (custom cut lengths, 3 brick and mortar stores - Rotterdam, Utrecht and Amsterdam).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Cannot get any SD cards smaller than 16GB anymore - or difficult to get - some reports state the size of the card may be a problem

I think you are indeed correct (if I remember correctly they originally came with 256Mb SD cards?!?!) I did manage to secure a small stash of 1GB SD cards but the size is problematic.

There's probably a very good reason why people (who build Vorons) have a supply of left-over BTT E3 Mini boards. I hate them with a passion as well, so your experiences are a good reminder not to bloody use them. They'll mke novelty tree decorations or Christmas presents.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Cannot get any SD cards smaller than 16GB anymore - or difficult to get - some reports state the size of the card may be a problem

I am pretty sure I have had luck with an oversized card that wouldn't work by re-formatting it to 1GB. I think anything 2GB or less would work as the controller doesn't care about the value of the card, just the partition it is trying to read.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, smirk said:

There's probably a very good reason why people (who build Vorons) have a supply of left-over BTT E3 Mini boards.

I'll add two to my supply - NEVER EVER to be used again

26 minutes ago, smirk said:

I hate them with a passion as well

Just re-enforced my opinion of these STUPID, useless, retched, impossible, dysfunctional, worthless,crappy,malfunctional, .... E3Mini cards.

Can't wait for the octopus to arrive - even if it means more crimping 😒

11 hours ago, mvdveer said:

(Cannot get any SD cards smaller than 16GB anymore - or difficult to get - some reports state the size of the card may be a problem)

Card size was definitely a problem with my SKR 2 in the V-Minion build. SKR wouldn't flash with the 256G card I had and finally it worked with a 64G card that I had to order from Amazon.

I was thinking maybe I should buy a couple/few of them and now with the chip shortage and all kinds of other BS... I might need to get a few before they go on the endangered species list like the R Pi's have.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Penatr8tor said:

I might need to get a few before they go on the endangered species list like the R Pi's have.

Whatever don't put them somewhere safe.....like so safe you can never find them ever again!

• Haha 2

Interesting and most annoying phenomenon with Klipper, I assume.

Set up the printer.cfg file with all the correct pin mappings. However it seems the way to set up pinson the secondary board has changed.  Instead of z:!PC10, it should be !z:PC10. In changing all theses in the config file, my X-Enstop started showing TRIGGERED when supposed to be open, and does not change to OPEN when activated, thus ALWAYS triggered. Back to the .cfg file to review and somehow I managed to put a ^ before the X-Stop pin: ^PCxx. Changed this back to PCxx, but the X-Endstop continued showing TRIGGERED.

Changed out the X-Endstop - Still showed TRIGGERED (not a faulty end stop)

Bypassed the Toolhead PCB (directly wired X-Enstop to controller board) - Still showed TRIGGERED (Not a faulty PCB)

Used the aux board's end stop - Still showed TRIGGERED (not a faulty primary board)

Used a different end stop on both boards - Still showed TRIGGERED (not a faulty end stop port)

Rebooted the Raspi - Still showed TRIGGERED

Could not see a problem within the printer.cfg file.

THUS:

Deleted the printer.cfg file - new file created - Still showed TRIGGERED

Solution:

Deleted Klipper, moon raker and mainsail. Deleted all the remnant directories on the Pi.

Reinstalled mainsail, then Klipper then moonraker.

copied over the printer.cfg file - Hooray - X-Enstop works as expected.

Still scratching my head wondering what caused this behaviour.

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Interesting and most annoying phenomenon with Klipper, I assume.

As I always say brilliant product but  a developer product. I guess the question is "what changed and when?" I'm presuming the end-stops worked correctly at some stage? So that would suggest a klipper/mainsail/moonraker update at some point between working end-stops and your latest annoyance.

Guess the interesting thing (for me) is that (again I presume) you will have (re)installed the latest versions of the software, and now it works, so that would suggest it wasn't a fundamental software issue ("By the way, we changed the syntax and made sure end-stops always show as triggered. It's a feature!"). Possibly a corruption introduced during a previous upgrade or some interesting sequencing/layering (of upgrades) effect?

Beyond trawling release notes for the relevant upgrades between the working point and non-working point there's probably not much point in too much head-scratching. The moment has passed. For the truly paranoid amongst us, it  points to the need for a backup/snap-shot mechanism prior to carrying out upgrades (I know we all will have that in place already....sheesh....who does a system upgrade without validated back-ups?!?) and a full review of the retension policy.

• Like 1

First time for everything in this crazy 3d printing world. Let the mind wander and disaster strikes.. chucked out the e3mini’s and installed an octopus v1.1. Bed. LED did not work. Replaced the LED and reconnected to the board. Must have been half asleep because ——- MAGIC SMOKE - fried the motherboard. No fault but my own…. Still hurts - First time EVER - hope it is the Last as well

• Sad 1