CAN bus UPDATE script

Dirk

After reading so much about problems and troubles here on this forum, on other forums, but also on the voron discord, I expected all kind of problems with "flashing". 

Following that Esotericals guide, I set up my canbus during just an evening. A breeze... The only thing I did not read in the manual, but remembered from here, was to remove all cables out of the Octopus before trying to flash it 🙂 (Thanks @mvdveer

Besides the software side, I also made a few pictures about a few more reasons why you should use CAN (or reduce the number of cables).

• Like 3

Thank you for this!

Even the poorly-documented and poorly-implemented CAN that Klipper uses works great once you get through the initial setup... until a Klipper update breaks it 🙃.  

Even when  running CAN through a UBS connection by U2C,  CAN has been a most reliable part of my system.   The inherent fault-tolerance that serves the Automotive world so well really shines in a 3D printer.

I suspect that if Klipper/BTT/Mellow/etc.. ever gets to where RepRapFirmware/Duet is with their CAN-FD, USB will be done with actual control of the printer.

• Like 2

All spanish linux for me right now. But posting so maybe down the line when mines built I remember to come back here.

(In all seriousness, I've only bareley looked at klipper and canbus, going to get mine running first and go from there.) And thanks for being one to document before I take the plunge!

Edited by zav3nd
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, zav3nd said:

All spanish linux for me

Which is, I think, a good thing 🙂

I have seen many manuals, using about 3 different tools, and at least 2 different os'es and referring to website that are not in Spanish, but in Chinese 🙂 

As I also wrote above, this script requires you to follow Esoterical's fool proof steps to set up the hardware, simply in your printers linux.

Then when there is an update, you run this script, which is following part-2 of esoterical's site " So you clicked the much feared update button..." 

301059869-2b35e7a5-d2b7-4f50-9db7-5e4202ad85ed.gif.285612b4f551d150c83fd286655bb7a7.gif

When I saw this the first time, I had to think of the beginning of this post from @Maurici and the avalanche of frustration that came out of many others " My OCD forced me to click the update all button and now all my ptinters are out of comission"

Once you have run this script and set up all four make menuconfig screens once, you can comment those lines that start with make menuconfig out and it will be a fully automated script for updating your mainboard and toolhead PCB. 

Edited by Dirk
gif not displaying
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, ChicagoKeri said:

Thank you for this!

Even the poorly-documented and poorly-implemented CAN that Klipper uses works great once you get through the initial setup... until a Klipper update breaks it 🙃.  

Even when  running CAN through a UBS connection by U2C,  CAN has been a most reliable part of my system.   The inherent fault-tolerance that serves the Automotive world so well really shines in a 3D printer.

I suspect that if Klipper/BTT/Mellow/etc.. ever gets to where RepRapFirmware/Duet is with their CAN-FD, USB will be done with actual control of the printer.

You are welcome. I hope it will help ease newcomers into CAN. Because now I have gone through that rabbit hole, I understand better the things I have read about it.

As I wrote earlier, all you see is either the very negative, or the very positive. The most obvious things like a kilo of cables that are not there anymore, the order it brings with it, the ease of adding additional components, are forgotten.

And your prophecy about USB, time will tell 🙂 But things that are widely spread, do not tend to get forgotten so easily. Even when they are obsolete.

Edited by Dirk

Asking for a friend, say they were stupid enough to not note down the mainboard uuid and can't seem to find it in the printer.cfg, but has everything else.

How would that friend find that info?

EBB2209/U2C/Octopus v1.1

Edited by Squibo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Squibo said:

the mainboard uuid

It is not a stupid question. I have only heard a few in my whole life, but... It is a difficult question to answer.

1- A simple text search (canbus_uuid) inside printer.cfg should give you the UUID.

mine in printer.cfg looks like this:

[mcu]
# serial: /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Klipper_stm32f446xx_200035000851313133353932-if00 (BEFORE CAN)
canbus_uuid: 403544310df5

2- If it does not, it means you are not already using the UUID of your mainboard, so you should be able to find it in the list of UUIDs that are free by typing: 
~/klippy-env/bin/python ~/klipper/scripts/canbus_query.py can0

BEFORE I wrote these ID's down inside printer.cfg, and thus claimed the ID's,  this command gave me the following output:

Found canbus_uuid=403544310df5, Application: Klipper - OCTOPUS PRO 1.01
 Found canbus_uuid=a74fbb9bdf70, Application: Klipper - CARTOGRAPHER v3
 Found canbus_uuid=21c36fa97c26, Application: Klipper - SBB2209 RP2040

3- If you can not find it, I would recommend to go simply through the steps of Esotericals Getting Started page. It will step by step get you there where you want to be.

I see you also have the U2C, if you set it up once during the initial set up, you will not need to use steps 2A and 2B of this script.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Sure this will help out a lot of members. May even convince @claudermilk to change to canbus 🤣 (You know I am not going to stop pestering)

LOL. Not right now--I only recently moved to the tool head PCB setup. When that harness wears out I'll think about it. By then though the LDO board ought to be well settled too.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Squibo said:

Asking for a friend, say they were stupid enough to not note down the mainboard uuid and can't seem to find it in the printer.cfg, but has everything else.

How would that friend find that info?

EBB2209/U2C/Octopus v1.1

Tell your friend that this involves using ssh to access the pi with the system running in order to search the CANbus for connected devices…

~/klippy-env/bin/python ~/klipper/scripts/canbus_query.py can0

there’s a couple of reasons this might not work though…  good luck!

• Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 2:29 AM, zav3nd said:

All spanish linux for me right now

El Español es bastante más comprensible que esa línea de comandos... Especialmente si es tu idioma nativo 😛

On 2/26/2024 at 10:36 AM, Dirk said:

When I saw this the first time, I had to think of the beginning of this post from @Maurici and the avalanche of frustration that came out of many others " My OCD forced me to click the update all button and now all my ptinters are out of comission"

🤣

Still trying to convince people to use can?

56 minutes ago, Maurici said:

Especialmente si es tu idioma nativo

Spanish is not much different than Latin. With that it is the base language of all western european popular languages. So Spanish, French, Italian are not far away from Latin (Roman). Once you know one of them, no need to speak it as native, you understand all of them. English, Dutch, German, all the nordic languages are not much further away. I neve was able to rhyme in Greek into the western european languages.

But... I am not trying to convince anyone. 

I just think something that is new, should not be refused, because you are old, and like what you were used to. Sometimes you need to take a dive 🙂

I was afraid of all the stories here on the forum. Very experienced and respectable people that refused to make the step to CAN.

And your post also set me back a few weeks in installing the CAN system I bought 😄 But I did it. 

And I succeeded in one go. Was ready converting the whole thing in an afternoon (old man tempo, checking everything triple). None of the terrible experiences people describe everywhere. 

And now I think, if anyone will ask me if I can do my first Voron again, I would choose for a CAN setup. Much simpler, easier, cleaner, faster, cheaper.

Again, not trying to convince anyone, but I was so prepared for failure, pitfalls that I had aggregated all this information that is freely available on the net. It was just a simple writeup and test before writing it down here.

If it will help just 1 person, I will be very happy 🙂

• Like 4

On 2/26/2024 at 2:03 PM, Squibo said:

the mainboard uuid

Apparently it happens often enough for Esoterical to dedicate a whole page to it over here.

23 hours ago, ChicagoKeri said:

there’s a couple of reasons this might not work though…

It also goes through the couple of other reasons why it won't work.

But shortly said, the reasons are 

1- if you follow manufacturers manuals for different devices, they give different recommendations. For example they advise you to set up can bus with 250.000 in U2C manual and 1.000.000 in SB2209 manual. 

2- People like to connect canHi cable to canLo it seems. 

18 hours ago, Maurici said:

El Español es bastante más comprensible que esa línea de comandos... Especialmente si es tu idioma nativo 😛

🤣

Still trying to convince people to use can?

¡No Entiendo Español! Nein! Nicht Versteh! Я немного говорю по русский но не очень хорошо…. And I’m not very good at English either!

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Dirk said:

I was afraid of all the stories here on the forum. Very experienced and respectable people that refused to make the step to CAN

who is that here?

55 minutes ago, claudermilk said:

I hope you're not putting me into that category! Because I am neither! 😜

he really meant clueless and shady.

Edited by Maurici
  • Haha 3

I have been 'lurking around' here for just a few months, and you guys seem to have answers to all common questions. And have ideas on how to deal with certain things.  Reasons for me to find you experienced. Maybe not very... But experienced. 

And from few things you say, how you are not afraid to express yourselves, it sounds as if you are old. I always learnt to respect the elderly.

So.... There you have it, experienced and respected 😄

Edited by Dirk
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dirk said:

it sounds as if you are old

Hooooo cowboy, slow down!

I've just turned 40. As everybody say, the 40s are the new 30s that a the same time are the ney 20s, so I'm essentially 20, despite my hair, beer belly and night vision don't seem to agree.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dirk said:

it sounds as if you are old

Like all good things - only gets better with age.  But why did you have to remind me of that. Going to sit in a corner and contemplate life now.... 

Done - Building another printer, that's what you get for calling me old!

I said experienced and respected. They wanted me to specify exactly.

And thinking of what you have achieved in life... Isn't that bad.

Another printer?

I didn't know you were done with all your er doctors and Ti backers (auto correct persists it is -to hackers-)  on all printers and your 3 sets of color changers?

Where are the pictures? What is it this time?

Is there a market for built Voron printers in Sydney?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dirk said:

I didn't know you were done with all your er doctors and Ti backers (auto correct persists it is -to hackers-)  on all printers and your 3 sets of color changers

Not even close to completion. But they are all lined up, ready to go.

2 hours ago, Dirk said:

Another printer?

Nah - just joking/kidding - the wife will kill me!

2 hours ago, Dirk said:

Where are the pictures?

Been working in the VZBot intermittently the past couple of weeks - converting to CNC motor mounts, Y-axis and aluminium X-axis, CPAP fan conversion, the list goes on.

No time to post pictures - may update the thread after completion.

2 hours ago, Dirk said:

Is there a market for built Voron printers in Sydney?

Wouldn't know - I am in Melbourne but will be doing a workshop for junior doctors in Sydney next week. All the prep has been done (Printed, just one of many, the models for the cricothyroidotomy station as an example) that will be used - see the printers are useful. Now just to deliver the content, then I can get back to relaxation and tinkering.  (If work doesn't get in the way 🙂)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mvdveer said:

Nah - just joking/kidding - the wife will kill me!

Made me think... I have been working on this one printer since I got it (june 2023), updating, improving, modding and am still not finished. But you again finished another one 🙂

And the market in Sydney... You have to forgive me, when I hear Australia, I think Sydney... I was surprised to find out recently there is even a new Arnhem over there...

But that model looks great for a cricothyroidotomy practice. Will never beat practicing on a cow or a pig though. First thing when I saw that model I had to think of was what a great doc once told me: "looking for a needle in haystack is easier than looking for a piece of glass in a leg, any idea why?"

1 hour ago, mvdveer said:

just to deliver the content, then I can get back to relaxation and tinkering

This also looks like 'relaxing' compared to any E.R. 

And who said plastic is useless? I believe even the latest fighter jets, space ships, The Musks Tesla roadster were first printed before it went into production... not? 🙂

• Like 1

Well, there was that launch from Relativity Space a few months ago. 85% 3D printed. It actually worked! The thing launched and looked to be going well but had some kind of 2nd stage separation failure, so they aborted (i.e., blew it up). But it got farther than they expected, and it launched.

As I recall Joel had a company showing off their 3D printed rocket engine part. I think at Rapid TCT? Anyway I seem to recall them mentioning it's actually being used by NASA.

Ok, so most of that stuff isn't plastic, but it's still using additive manufacturing, which kind of blows my mind.

Enough tangent off the CANbus topic. Back to lurking around being clueless and shady. 😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Buurman featured this topic