Voron LDO Trident 300 build

polygonprint

Hello everyone,

This is my second Voron printer build, my first being a Voron0 which has been a fantastic little printer. But I needed something a little larger, so I ended up buying a LDO Trident kit.

I wanted to visualize the colour scheme of my new Trident a little better than I did with my V0 build. I know there are a few good web based colour configurators for Voron's out there but I needed a little more control. As I know my way around blender quite well and Fusion360 feels quite unfamiliar to me, I ended up importing the cad model (exported as stl) into blender and colouring as needed. Anyway, I have decided on quite a dark scheme with a touch of Voron red. Will post some 'real' build photo's soon. 

Screenshot_20221205_155348.png

Welcome to the forum and quite like your colour scheme, Unlike you and @atrushing, I am a not familiar with blender, didn't even know it existed until I started  using the Mini-Stealthburner.

@polygonprint would you mind heading over to introductions and tell us a little about yourself. I am sure the other members would love to get to know you as well.

• Like 1

Thanks smirk, mvdveer and claudermilk.

I fussed over the colours for too long. But I'm happy with the way it is looking and keen to get the printer built, tuned and running as well as possible. I'm guessing most of us mod our machines to an extent, so colours can be changed at a later stage if needed. One thing I have noticed when comparing the Trident build to my V0 is - it's a little easier to go back a few steps and make changes on the Trident.

Quick progress update. The build plate now has its magnet stuck down which is what I did today. Am hoping to drop it into the machine tomorrow and continue with the partially complete clockwork extruder and Stealthburner assembly. Fingers crossed I may get that finished over the weekend.

IMG20221208164029.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Thanks to all! Yes, It's FINALLY printing... was beginning to think I wouldn't see the day 🙂 I'm getting inconsistent first layers and the screen wont respond to touch but I'll work it out. I was quite pleased with the build experience. Buurman - It had occurred to me a few times that maybe I should have gone the V2 route as the extra height on this thing makes it quite awkward to move around and work on 😄 

Edited by polygonprint

mvdveer
This post was recognized by mvdveer!

Buurman was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 100 points.

Touchscreen issue is a Klipper bug:

that probably helps, try this first:

Then did a sudo nano /boot/config.txt

changed this: dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d

to this: dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d

• Like 1

Thanks Buurman! 

I have been watching that thread with interest and trying the same to get the touch to work, but so far have had no luck. I only just did a clean install of Mainsail via Rasp pi installer and then KlipperScreen using the manual install instructions, rather than Kiauh. Still no touchscreen.

One thing which may or may not tell me something is - when I change to vc4-fkms-v3d I get the console logs only, no KlipperScreen UI and am being asked to login via a text prompt on the console. Could that be helpful in anyway? Probably not but thought it worth mentioning. 

I'm not overly concerned about it not working at the moment, I'm actually more concerned about my first layer not being consistent across the bed. I have adaptive bed mesh up and running. An Inductive probe which came with the LDO kit. Would Klicky or Euclid make much of a difference?

Edited by polygonprint

1 hour ago, polygonprint said:

being asked to login via a text prompt on the console. Could that be helpful in anyway? Probably not but thought it worth mentioning. 

May be a stab in the dark, but if you go into raspi config (system options  --> Boot/Auto Login ) and under the login options tick Console Autologin text (B2) and see if it changes anything.

image.thumb.png.6eda7f5d42890976888dd674d2f72269.png

With dtoverlay set to vc4-fkms-v3d the console only displays text but logs in as 'pi', however I still get a flashing command prompt. With dtoverlay set to vc4-kms-v3d I get the GUI but still no change to touch functionality. Thank's mvdveer for your suggestion - I was actually thinking along the same lines. 

My LDO kit came with the WaveShare 4.3 inch, 800x600 touch screen. I don't quite understand the LDO docs with their explanation on installing the software. Any thoughts on "use identifier DPI-1" ?

Screenshot 2023-04-21 150732.png

I've decided to install a LDO Orbiter V2 into my Trident. I currently have cw1 and Stealthburner but am having extrusion problems particularly noticeable with ABS. I can see this in my first layer but also elsewhere while printing. Last night I pulled the whole toolhead apart and found evident of some of the metal gears rubbing on plastic - see image below. I'll be using this mod here Voron-Mods/Orbiter_2.0_SB_CW2_Enclosed at main · elcrni/Voron-Mods · GitHub

Before I disassembled the toolhead I played around with extruder knob tension and motor currents which did slightly improve the printing issues but not eliminating totally. I also tried different heaters and thermistors in the hotend as well as cleaning out the hotend via a needle and also cold pulling and cleaning filament. As I have been wanting to install a Orbiter into one of my printers I thought this would be the perfect opportunity. 

I also have a self sourced V0 which prints beautifully so should hopefully have no issues printing the parts I need for the mod. I will post updates here as I am hoping it may help somebody else in the future etc. And I thought it was about time I contributed in some way as I have learnt a great deal 'just reading' here 🙂

cw1_issue.jpg

Edited by polygonprint
  • Like 1