Third voron 2.4 mods detail

Buurman

Building my third voron 2.4 and won’t go into details but am trying out some mods, that I will write up my experiences  about.

lets start with the best part:

Stealthburner with LGX Lite extruder

I will send the link to the mod for this later, it’s not perfect but you can make it work without too much hassle.

will describe the things that are not mentioned on GitHub so it may help someone.

let me start by saying, if it prints as good as it feels, my future builds will all have this extruder.

2A500F5A-6809-4F27-81DD-4C302ED8A920.jpeg

D6DDD8E2-1A53-440C-8E3A-8B033E43B912.jpeg

136E26AE-8F7C-428B-8191-4CA3A7D835C6.jpeg

8E594B01-125A-4760-82E0-C84390FD5F6D.jpeg

184A9F8B-9594-47D0-97C5-F7444BDCF3B6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Voron FTW! 1

I went with the LGX on my build rather than the Lite. Love to hear your experience with the Lite (which I have on the V0,1). One thing I can say, you won't go back to any other form of extruder. I print some nylon and have not had a problem since changing to the large gear formats.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Simon2.4 said:

When I installed my LGX lite I had no problem using the included square nuts. Why did you use inserts instead?

Yeah, I have managed to avoid COVID since a few days ago, maybe its the fever I am having, maybe I was just thinking, I want to do it the Voron way 😉 

I did take the extruder fully apart to do this, I wanted to make sure there is enough space, and enough hold for them, and there is.

But its a strong hold more than enough for holding the extruder tightly on its place, by far!   

• Haha 1

These are my settings for V0.1 with mini LGX

rotation_distance: 5.7                                            # See calibrating rotation_distance on extruders doc
microsteps: 16

See :

"No gear ratio on LGX Lite. Rotation distance on Bondtech website is a baseline, not actual rotation distance. You still need to do the basic rotation distance tuning. My LGX Lites ended up between 5.6 and 5.7 after tuning."

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Simon2.4 said:

That's for the afterburner isn't it - not stealthburner - or does it work anyway? Used the above for my LGX mods on afterburner toolheads

For those who are wondering what I'm taking about, the extruder comes with a few m3 square nuts that are meant to be inserted in the slots for the screw holes you intend to use. To do this, the extruder needs to be taken apart.

1954618813_lxglitesquarenuts.PNG.0ccbfa34634eb784e5a927d178cf11d5.PNG

• Like 3

Yeah, true, I was afraid mostly they dont "bite", but there is good space and the wall is pretty thick and strong material, the heated threads get a good grip.

Its the same as putting the heated threads in your controller fans, but this wall is still a bit thicker.

On one side its even double walled, I used a longer heat insert, on the side of the gears, I used the normal short ones.

Will I do it again like this next time... not sure... but I am thinking I would 😉

• Like 3

On 8/20/2022 at 9:46 AM, Simon2.4 said:

and you get better thread engagement with the inserts the square nuts are super thin

For what you have to fit the square nut engagement is more than enough + you have four of them .... You can probably put all you weight on those nut before it strip the thread. The plastic will explode before the thread 😃

But yeah I did the same here with the square nut less hassle