How to Use CAN Toolhead Boards Connected Directly to Octopus / Octopus Pro on CanBoot

Go to solution Solved by mvdveer,

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to share that changing my txqueuelen from 256 to 1024 so far as fixed my error

b'Got error -1 in can write: (105)No buffer space available'

I have completed an 25 hour print and then a two 5 hour prints all back to back.  

can0: flags=193<UP,RUNNING,NOARP>  mtu 16
        unspec 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00  txqueuelen 1024  (UNSPEC)
        RX packets 27262471  bytes 158181482 (150.8 MiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 1000  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 103323337  bytes 786002513 (749.5 MiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

Thanks so much for the PDF doc on how to do all this!  much appreciated! 

FYI you should probably check your cables if you see the drops as shown in your ifconfig. I had the same issue and changing the queue length helped but if you do some prints with lots of details you will see the results of the dropped packets.

You need to do what I did- Address the cables. You should use the IGUS CAN wire or go back and twist your wires. Seriously I did this and found that my issues came due to the rj11 Jack from the Octopus to the ebb, where I used one of those green 2 piece wire connectors that I had 2 problems -- 1 the wire was too thin and not a great hold, so I stripped more jacket off and folded/twisted to make that hold better-- did another test/check and I had half the number of drops. Then reviewed a 2nd time and found nothing but noticed that I had used cheap wire scrap for connecting the Can L and H from the RJ11 adapter to my adapter where I add in the 24v and gnd. I changed those 2 wires to a nicer heavier silicone wire and twisted them for extra piece of mind. Then reran the ifconfig after a bit and 0 drops, reverted back to stock 128 and never have seen the issue again. Printed out a big Thing hand that took 8 hours and no issues as first test. Been rocking for months sense.

I also found that can0 will also stop starting for you completely on the pi IF the wiring is not 100%

Hope my experiences help others. I did mine also without Canboot on f429 and ebb36 v1.1 on my 2.4r2 and on my v0.1 I have the skr mini e3 going CANbus to my U2C and the Ebb36 going to the U2C for almost a year it seems. There too 1 USB running from the pi, so nice and clean in wiring dept

• Like 2

I was able to find a way to prove it was the wiring that makes can0 not start or stop..

Starting with a setup that works, I will disconnect the Can L from the ebb.

Then 

Comment out the EBB and save config, reboot the entire rig AFTER you unplug the rj11.

Now on startup - you will have everything working on can0 with the Octopus connected.

Uncomment the EBB config add now and restart firmware then shutdown the rig

Hook up the RJ11 adapter and reboot

Notice can0 won't even start now, why? The wiring is not 100%

I don't suggest doing this at all but I did as I had extra sacrificial boards to play with-- I also tested by loosening the can L in it's adapter and tapping the wire with a screwdriver so it would resemble a bad connection shaking after a successful boot took place and I immediately saw dropped packets reported but can0 stayed up. This sounds like what most are experiencing here or similar.

After reboot the system and running a 24 hour print, that is still running, I am getting no drops with the current cables.  I used the typical RJ11 telephone cables for my high/low data.  So I think those drops might have been something else.  This new print has not shown anything yet. 

can0: flags=193<UP,RUNNING,NOARP>  mtu 16
        unspec 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00  txqueuelen 1024  (UNSPEC)
        RX packets 16495034  bytes 93152897 (88.8 MiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 76554764  bytes 583124872 (556.1 MiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

• Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 2:09 AM, jet8300 said:

So I finally got everything set up to the point where you flash klipper to the EBB36 via can. That went successfully, but now the EBB36 isn't visible on the can bus. The guide says everything should just be working now. Any guidance?

if you have added the id to printer.cfg you probably wont return it again. if you haven't it's worth double checking wiring, bitrate off your PI against the bit rate you configured your ebb at.

Hi there

I own a BTT Octopus V1.0 in my Voron 2.4. Now I bought an EBB36 v1.2 and want to make the printer CanBus capable. I did the installation according to the instructions in the first post. The installation worked well and I can also control the EBB via Canbus. Only when I configure the pin (PB13) for the hotend heater, does klipper give me the following error: "pin PB13 is reserved for spi2"

Did any of you expected the same error too? Or can someone tell me what I shall do? I have no more ideas.

Without configuring PB13, klipper can be started and I'm able to control the fans on the extruder and get the temperature displayed by the hotend. So the Canbus communication must work. Thanks for your tips.

Klipper error pin reserved for spi2.png

Edited by Christian Lingner

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, phantez said:

am looking for a copy of the instructions but the OP and the post from michaelmacintyre also appears to be broken

I followed these instructions in setting up octopus and Mellow Fly SB2040 with canboot and klipper.

Also see this thread with some links to documentation.

Here is a copy of the file from this thread that I downloaded.

How to Use CAN Toolhead Boards Connected Directly to Octopus.pdf

On 2/5/2023 at 10:42 PM, phantez said:

I am looking for a copy of the instructions but the OP and the post from michaelmacintyre also appears to be broken

For some reason the attachments only seem to survive for so long. Here's a copy.

Edit: Just saw it was posted by @mvdveer recently, my bad. I'll leave it attached since it should survive an extra week though.

How to Use CAN Toolhead Boards Connected Directly to Octopus.pdf

Edited by conceptualme

Voron 2.4r2
Octopus F446
EBB36 V1.2

First. I want to thank the creator of this guide very much. Extremely helpful so thank you.

Hello. I'm trying to flash canboot (Pg. 9)  according to the manual here.  I'm getting stuck at "Full Chip Erase".  It will say it completed but then it will show these two errors. I need to reset the Octopus and restart STM32 cube programmer to be able to try again. I have tried a couple different USB cables with the same result.

Earlier I bypassed these errors and continued with the installation.  I am stuck on Pg. 21

Thank you.

EDIT:  I've solved the pip3 install pyserial issue.  I still get the error regarding the chip erase.  Ignoring that and moving on I have made it all the way to page 21 and I'm trying to find can0. Using "ifconfig"  shows no can0.  image.png.0b6dc4844e7b2fa188c3e551fa9c8982.png

Screenshot 2023-02-15 110324.png

Screenshot 2023-02-15 110310.png

canboot.log

Edited by Joebus

• 2 weeks later...

I'm posting a link to the PDF guide uploaded to MediaFire as the attachments in this thread continue to expire, and there are multiple people unable to download the guide due to not having an active account and their account applications have gone unanswered for a week or more.

If this is against the rules, I apologize, I did look for a rules thread but am having a hard time finding one.

In the event the link gets removed and you're having trouble getting an account approved on here and would like the guide, reach out to u/techsformation on Reddit and I'd be happy to send you a copy.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/mn00kg1l07l11ye/How_to_Use_CAN_Toolhead_Boards_Connected_Directly_to_Octopus.pdf/file

Edited by conceptualme

On 2/23/2023 at 7:54 PM, Camos said:

has anyone had this issue when you get to section 2C?

image.png.5ca34982fb0ce16960931a9d3be48ee5.png

I struggled with this for a while. The issue is most likely with the firmware, either on the Octopus or the EBB. I'd suggest restarting the whole process, reflashing both devices. Be sure you are selecting the right options in the config.

If you keep having issues, feel free to reach out to me directly. Admittedly it has been a few months since I went through this process, so I'm not as familiar with all of the small troubleshooting steps I went through, but I'm happy to re-familiarize myself with it if you need a hand. I have some old Discord chats I can probably go through and figure out exactly what I did differently to eventually get it working.

Edited by conceptualme
  • Like 1