How to Use CAN Toolhead Boards Connected Directly to Octopus / Octopus Pro on CanBoot

Go to solution Solved by mvdveer,

3 hours ago, FRZ said:

Sorry i couldn't immediately locate the firmware files associated with this procedure. Does anyone have a link to them? thank you!!

There aren't really firmware files to download, you just install Klipper as you normally would and generate the firmware on your own as per the guide. The only other thing required is CanBoot which is literally the first result on Google if you search for "CanBoot", and that is also used to generate the firmware as per the guide.

https://github.com/Arksine/CanBoot

Edit* didn't see the reply on page 2.

Edited by conceptualme

Hey,

this guide works for me! i use my octopus with fly shtv2 36 board and both are on my canbus network.

but i have now big problems with the config. everything chainged and im really new with this...

how do i need to specify the mcu part now, and do i need to convert every old octopus pin with the new mcu tag?

can someone post his config? would help me a lot! thanks

yes, you need to repoint everything to the new board, eveything that is connected, 

as an example in the printer.cfg you need to add the new board as a new mcu.

[mcu EBBCan]
canbus_uuid: youruiid

then you need to refer in the configuration using the EBBcan alias, in my case the extruder stays like this as an example:
you can check the the Pins are followed with the alias name we gave in the MCU configration before (EBBcan)

[extruder]
step_pin: EBBCan: PD0
dir_pin: EBBCan: PD1
enable_pin: !EBBCan: PD2
microsteps: 16
rotation_distance: 22.6789511
gear_ratio: 50:10
nozzle_diameter: 0.400
filament_diameter: 1.750
heater_pin: EBBCan: PB13
sensor_type: EPCOS 100K B57560G104F
sensor_pin: EBBCan: PA3
#control: pid
#pid_Kp: 21.527
#pid_Ki: 1.063
#pid_Kd: 108.982
min_temp: 0
max_temp: 300
max_extrude_only_distance: 110

[tmc2209 extruder]
uart_pin: EBBCan: PA15
run_current: 0.650
stealthchop_threshold: 999999

[fan]
pin: EBBCan: PA0

• Like 2

allright, got it. Thanks

and how did the mcu part need to looks like now? cause i get this error after i specified the baords like this:

[mcu octopus]
canbus_uuid: *37bbcbebfd57*

[mcu sht36v2]
canbus_uuid: *a68d502fd6ab*

Option 'serial' in section 'mcu' must be specified 

Edited by Teuflor

4 minutes ago, Teuflor said:

allright, got it. Thanks

and how did the mcu part need to looks like now? cause i get this error after i specified the baords like this:

[mcu octopus]
canbus_uuid: *37bbcbebfd57*

[mcu sht36v2]
canbus_uuid: *a68d502fd6ab*

Im having a similar problem I cant get klipper to give me a serial address using ls /dev/serial/by-id/* command just says directory not found. so im not sure how to find the usb serial port with this setup.

4 minutes ago, FRZ said:

Im having a similar problem I cant get klipper to give me a serial address using ls /dev/serial/by-id/* command just says directory not found. so im not sure how to find the usb serial port with this setup.

do you use octopus like the guide says (can bridge mode)? hit this command (like the guide says) to find the octopus on your can bus:

~/klippy-env/bin/python ~/klipper/scripts/canbus_query.py can0

8 minutes ago, Nuno Figueiredo said:

remove the octopus in the main mcu, also the * need to also be removed.

thanks, one step further 🙂

and whats the right name of the pins from octo board than?

thads my old wrong config 

[stepper_x]
step_pin: octopus: PF13
dir_pin: octopus: PF12
enable_pin: octopus: !PF14

Edited by Teuflor

6 minutes ago, Nuno Figueiredo said:

if you are using the octopus as a canbus, the serial is no longer available, only in dfu mode, so to make it work in klipper you need to refer to both mcu as canbus_uuid

ok that makes since, I have tired so many combinations in the printer.cfg im not sure whats wrong yet. I thought i followed the pdf successfully to the point of printer.cfg. this is a new build and i wanted to use canbus from the start so i never had a working setup. also a noob to this control system. 

If i don't spec a serial klipper(octoprint) gives error asking for one. it seems to connect at first even states a firmware version then when you press check status it errors out. 

Thank you!

5 minutes ago, FRZ said:

ok that makes since, I have tired so many combinations in the printer.cfg im not sure whats wrong yet. I thought i followed the pdf successfully to the point of printer.cfg. this is a new build and i wanted to use canbus from the start so i never had a working setup. also a noob to this control system. 

If i don't spec a serial klipper(octoprint) gives error asking for one. it seems to connect at first even states a firmware version then when you press check status it errors out. 

Thank you!

i also build a new version from beginning with can. im building a Voron 2.4 what printer do you build? probl. we can help us each other 

12 minutes ago, Teuflor said:

i also build a new version from beginning with can. im building a Voron 2.4 what printer do you build? probl. we can help us each other 

I'm building a tall (450) 350 V2.4, revo, SB, nearly complete with the exception of the control system and some plugs. the mechanical part has gone pretty well so far. 

https://imgur.com/a/Y8leIFs

Edited by FRZ

what did i mess up.. had can lost can

Anyone get this working with octoprint? 

13:40:12

mcu 'EBBCan': Unable to connect
13:40:12

mcu 'EBBCan': Unable to connect
Once the underlying issue is corrected, use the
"FIRMWARE_RESTART" command to reset the firmware, reload the
config, and restart the host software.
Error configuring printer
Klipper state: Not ready
13:42:05

Klipper: Disconnected from host
13:42:07

Klipper: Connecting ...

Klipper: Connected to host

Connected to host via /tmp/printer @115200bps

Firmware version: v0.10.0-571-g97a5b39a

pi.png

Somebody on Reddit asked for a copy of the guide because the link was dead, I had the same problem a few days ago. I just checked and it seems to be working again from the original post, however I'm attaching the same doc to this post in case anybody else has similar issues.

How to Use CAN Toolhead Boards Connected Directly to Octopus.pdf

• Thanks 1

i can higly recommend to edit your can0 file in your interfaces.d directory:

here posted from maz:  https://discord.com/channels/460117602945990666/1000794039832035530/1005859875303211068

setup CAN0 network 

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces.d/can0

allow-hotplug can0
iface can0 can static
 bitrate 500000
 up ifconfig $IFACE txqueuelen 256
 pre-up ip link set can0 type can bitrate 500000
 pre-up ip link set can0 txqueuelen 256

Edited by Teuflor

I have 2 machines, 2 pi's. I testes the Ebb36 on the bench with Octopus 446 standard and worked properly.

Installed it on another machine and CAN0 will not show. I used the command :

sudo ip link set can0 up type can bitrate 500000

and the CAN comes up and klipper working/connected. But when I restart firmware there is no CAN via ifconfig and no connection.

I take my PI from another machine that I used to set it up and put SDCARD in other machine. Booted up, connects, and restarts firmware properly.

The board in the main machine is Octopus Pro 446.

Any ideas?

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2022 at 3:21 PM, Rocksalt said:

I have 2 machines, 2 pi's. I testes the Ebb36 on the bench with Octopus 446 standard and worked properly.

Installed it on another machine and CAN0 will not show. I used the command :

sudo ip link set can0 up type can bitrate 500000

and the CAN comes up and klipper working/connected. But when I restart firmware there is no CAN via ifconfig and no connection.

I take my PI from another machine that I used to set it up and put SDCARD in other machine. Booted up, connects, and restarts firmware properly.

The board in the main machine is Octopus Pro 446.

Any ideas?

Wipe the  SD card on the bad Pi, reinstall Klipper and redo the config. I'd suggest installing Klipper manually vs. using something like Kiuah. There may have been updates that resolved this but back when I was setting up my CAN stuff, I had the exact same issue you're describing and reinstalling Klipper fixed it. I probably made a mistake during setup somewhere, or it  might have been that Kiuah wasn't installing some components.

• 2 weeks later...

can anyone offer some input on connecting to the octopus pro via canbus through the btt/biqu u2c as per their diagram in their manual? i understand this thread is about using the octopus as a can bridge without needed the u2c, but given when i reached out to btt/biqu they specifically said the octopus pro cant be used to connect directly to the ebb36. obviously thats complete bs, but now im stuck with a u2c i didnt actually need. since i have the u2c i figured i'd put it to use and do have the ebb36 working through the u2c (flashing the ebb36 through the u2c does not work and fails half way through) . however, i can not seem to get the octopus to be recognized through to u2c. neither canboot or klipper ever seem to work. i've created firmware using the various canbus ports with no luck. 

is following the steps provided here and setting up the usb/can bridge on the octopus required even with a multi-port can adapter like the u2c? 

any help would be greatly appreciated and happy to provide any info on my components since this combo seems to be a mixed bag of functionality despite being advertised as a somewhat "turnkey" solution from btt/biqu. ideally i'd like to get canboot working on both devices to avoid manually have to go through the physical flashing steps when updates are needed, but for now would settle for just getting klipper to recognize both devices via canbus. 

using:

octopus pro v1.0 w/ f429

ebb36 v1.2 w/ g0b1

u2c v2.1 w/ g0b1  

16 hours ago, dos said:

can anyone offer some input on connecting to the octopus pro via canbus through the btt/biqu u2c as per their diagram in their manual? i understand this thread is about using the octopus as a can bridge without needed the u2c, but given when i reached out to btt/biqu they specifically said the octopus pro cant be used to connect directly to the ebb36. obviously thats complete bs, but now im stuck with a u2c i didnt actually need. since i have the u2c i figured i'd put it to use and do have the ebb36 working through the u2c (flashing the ebb36 through the u2c does not work and fails half way through) . however, i can not seem to get the octopus to be recognized through to u2c. neither canboot or klipper ever seem to work. i've created firmware using the various canbus ports with no luck. 

is following the steps provided here and setting up the usb/can bridge on the octopus required even with a multi-port can adapter like the u2c? 

any help would be greatly appreciated and happy to provide any info on my components since this combo seems to be a mixed bag of functionality despite being advertised as a somewhat "turnkey" solution from btt/biqu. ideally i'd like to get canboot working on both devices to avoid manually have to go through the physical flashing steps when updates are needed, but for now would settle for just getting klipper to recognize both devices via canbus. 

using:

octopus pro v1.0 w/ f429

ebb36 v1.2 w/ g0b1

u2c v2.1 w/ g0b1  

I got mine working ish with both methods. it sucked as i was new to all of this as well...  I ended up hating the u2c as i kept getting timeout errors with it. 

I basically followed the manual here except i didn't use can boot i just built the firmware and loaded it on traditionally. 

some notes:

- "Canbus" and "serial" comms methods are different even though they use the same connectors (usb) sometimes. in the printer.cfg they need to be addressed differently. 

- I used no bootloader offset in the ebb firmware. 

- keeping track of polarity on the canH canL wire is hard  just swap them to verify. (use resistor on ebb)

- u2c sucks ( if you do use make sure your comms settings are correct on the octopus pro and your firmware settings are different from if you use threads method)

- make sure your can0 network is up

- use at least 500000 as your speed. 

- might need to use a oldschool small capacity micro sd card to flask octopus. 

thanks for the reply @FRZ. i did get the octopus working via its own can interface and the ebb36 on the u2c (so can0 & can1). not the best way and could never get the octopus working via the "usb" ports on the u2c. if you have any help on that bit it would be greatly appreciated. i have no issues flashing the cards, i can just never see the octopus via the usb-c/can port through one of the u2c's usb/can ports. i can see the octopus via serial and/or canbus when i build the fw and connect it directly to the pi, but never when its plugged into the u2c. really damn annoying. 

so here is a stupid question maybe others can chime in on. since the ebb's support usb / serial communication (not just power for flashing) and you need to create a custom cable for using the rj11 of the octopus for canbus and add in 24v anyways, why even bother with canbus in the first place? i'm pretty sure most people have extra usb ports on their pi's. why not just use a usb-c cable for the serial connection rather than canbus and feed the 24v in the same way as before and achieve the same result with essentially the same amount of wires? it would be nice if they had terminal connectors for the 24v as to not need the molex plug. this would make doing the above even easier. 

Edited by dos

9 minutes ago, dos said:

thanks for the reply @FRZ. i did get the octopus working via its own can interface and the ebb36 on the u2c (so can0 & can1). not the best way and could never get the octopus working via the "usb" ports on the u2c. if you have any help on that bit it would be greatly appreciated. i have no issues flashing the cards, i can just never see the octopus via the usb-c/can port through one of the u2c's usb/can ports. i can see the octopus via serial and/or canbus when i build the fw and connect it directly to the pi, but never when its plugged into the u2c. really damn annoying. 

so here is a stupid question maybe others can chime in on. since the ebb's support usb / serial communication (not just power for flashing) and you need to create a custom cable for using the rj11 of the octopus for canbus and add in 24v anyways, why even bother with canbus in the first place? i'm pretty sure most people have extra usb ports on their pi's. why not just use a usb-c cable for the serial connection rather than canbus and feed the 24v in the same way as before and achieve the same result with essentially the same amount of wires? it would be nice if they had terminal connectors for the 24v as to not need the molex plug. this would make doing the above even easier. 

I guess the first thing is to check that you installed jumpers for the "usb" ports

see page 6

https://github.com/bigtreetech/U2C/blob/master/BIGTREETECH U2C V1.0%26V1.1 User Manual.pdf

Pay very close attention to the firmware comms method and address. (i think it need to be just canbus not bridge im forgetting)

Also did you shouldn't reference a serial connection in your printer.cfg (this might be your problem)