VzBot 330

I've never done a build diary before,  so please bear with me.

It'll be a slow burner this one, summer is coming and I've got fishing, camping and motorcycling (one target this year is to have another go at the Stelvio).

The kit from Mellow has been ordered and is awaiting dispatch. 

So I thought I'd make a start printing the parts with my trusty (yes I know its dirty) v2.4

I'm using Overture ABS, black for the main items and probably black for the accent parts - although I maybe a bit boring and go for red accents.

20240419_094452.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TitusADuxass said:

It's on the way.

this is without the shipping right? I remember 400 more for shipping. So that's a nice round number... one year  month less money for pursuing a 'wife'

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dirk said:

this is without the shipping right? I remember 400 more for shipping. So that's a nice round number... one year  month less money for pursuing a 'wife'

No, that's the end price that I paid.

Pursuing a wife! Why would I want to complicate my life? I tried the married life for 35 years, I'm now happy being single. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, over the weekend I managed to print nearly all the parts for the build.

The only one that's giving me grief is the lower part of the RSCS. No matter what I try, I simply cannot get enough part cooling for the upper blade of this. As a result it gets very blobby and mishapen. I'm going to look into Orca and see if I can set the print speed for the last bit.

LowerStl.PNG.de6bf92d411e400548738e4fb9d3aeba.PNG

2 hours ago, TitusADuxass said:

No matter what I try, I simply cannot get enough part cooling for the upper blade of this.

This is a tricky one to print BUT, if you are going CPAP, you probably won't need this @Penatr8tor your thoughts. I have it installed but have not used it.

• Like 1

I think CPAP and those hoses that come with it, makes the printer look like ICU patients. I will never install those on any printer I will ever have...

4 hours ago, TitusADuxass said:

cannot get enough part cooling

The only other solution I can think of, is to reduce the layer time (I would be able to tell you how to in sslicer, but not in orca). This will make it less blobby. Usually this makes such parts look better..

or add some more parts to print that have same / similar height.

or lay it on its sides, and use supports for the -otherwise-not-needed- parts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dirk said:

I think CPAP and those hoses that come with it, makes the printer look like ICU patients. I will never install those on any printer I will ever have...

The only other solution I can think of, is to reduce the layer time (I would be able to tell you how to in sslicer, but not in orca). This will make it less blobby. Usually this makes such parts look better..

or add some more parts to print that have same / similar height.

or lay it on its sides, and use supports for the -otherwise-not-needed- parts.

@Dirk I've been on one of those ICU patients...4 days with tube and drains in every orifice (plus some extra holes they made for access).

Back on topic - I've done a bit of research. In Orca preview I can identify the starting point (layer) where I want the print to slow down, then right click and add a custom gcode M220 S10 (for 10% of the original speed). The M220 applies to all motors (X, Y, Zs & E).

12 minutes ago, TitusADuxass said:

I've been on one of those ICU patients.

I know it sucks. Sorry to hear that. But recovering is the hardest part and you seem to me like someone having a lot of fun in life 🙂

Cool that you know how to do that in Orca. So I would say it's worth a try... But as @mvdveer foretells and you confirm, you probably don't need it if you're going cpap. 

I have no idea what it even is you are printing, so I will leave the word to the experts.

2 minutes ago, Dirk said:

I know it sucks. Sorry to hear that. But recovering is the hardest part and you seem to me like someone having a lot of fun in life 🙂

I had a run in with bowel cancer, they assure they got it all out - since then it's Carpe Diem.  The 2nd of April is my second birthday. My doctor wasn't impressed when I told him that I'd bought a motorcycle to celebrate.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, TitusADuxass said:

I am going CPAP. 

@Penatr8tor please give us your thoughts - is the RSCS necessary when using CPAP? 

TBH, I never use the RSCS. I mean it looks really cool and if I ever need that much airflow, I have it. I tried it a few times in the beginning while I was learning what the printer needs to have on in order to make nice prints but, in the end, I haven't needed it for everyday printing tasks, plus... The CPAP has enough power to almost blow the part off of the build plate if you crack it up. 😄

@TitusADuxass If I built another one, I'd probably put the RSCS on just in case I needed to print something in a material that required excessive cooling. It's really not that hard or time consuming to screw it onto the side panels and run a couple wires. FWIW... I found that the VzBoT designed parts were very difficult to print because the print orientation caused layer splits so, I redesigned them so that they could be more easily printed. If you want to add the RSCS, and I think you should, let me know and I'll upload the files for you.

One last note on the RSCS... One of the things preventing me from using the RSCS more often is that the fans that came with the kit are crap as they will only run at 100%. I think better fans, maybe 3 wire, would make my RSCS more useable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TitusADuxass said:

Well, over the weekend I managed to print nearly all the parts for the build.

The only one that's giving me grief is the lower part of the RSCS. No matter what I try, I simply cannot get enough part cooling for the upper blade of this. As a result it gets very blobby and mishapen. I'm going to look into Orca and see if I can set the print speed for the last bit.

LowerStl.PNG.de6bf92d411e400548738e4fb9d3aeba.PNG

Give these parts a try...

You will need to solvent bond them together but they will be much stronger and better overall. The top snorkel part is the stock VZ design.

VZ330_RSCS_Bottom-Base_PK.stl

Vz330_RSCS_Mid-Top_Base.stl

VZ330_RSCS_Bottom-Cover_PK.stl

Vz330_RSCS_Mid-Top_Cover.stl

1 hour ago, TitusADuxass said:

My doctor wasn't impressed

Doctors think they know what is better for others. Luckily the numbers show only about 30% follow their advise.

I think riding a motor and enjoying great weather improves your immune system.

But don't let me annoy anyone trying to follow this thread about the vzbot.

Inside the doctor's head: "Great! I saved him from cancer and now I'm going to see him all busted up from that motorbike. Sigh."

When I get a CPAP tube, it's for me, not the printer. I won't share. 😜

• Haha 2

Sadly... Most people view motorcycle riding as a death sentence. The reality is that while you're more likely to suffer severe injury on a bike than a car... statistically motorcycles aren't dangerous enough to be banned and they're definitely not as dangerous as people think. 14% of traffic deaths are motorcyclists and of that percentage ~40% was because of alcohol consumption.

I guess the problem is that people insert their own skill level / experience into any activity they have little to no experience with and use that as a broad brush to paint all motorcycles as dangerous. For instance, I can't count the number of times someone with zero riding experience has said to me... Be careful out there you can get killed on that thing. And in my head, I translate that into... Yes... YOU would die out there. Me... I've been riding for over 50 years and have owned close to 30 bikes. You have no idea what you're talking about.

And that pretty much sums up what I think about non-riders warning me about the dangers of motorcycles. Myself and many many others are living proof that you can ride your entire life and not die or lose limbs riding motorcycles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

Give these parts a try...

You will need to solvent bond them together but they will be much stronger and better overall. The top snorkel part is the stock VZ design.

VZ330_RSCS_Bottom-Base_PK.stl 107.7 kB · 0 downloads

Vz330_RSCS_Mid-Top_Base.stl 205.26 kB · 0 downloads

VZ330_RSCS_Bottom-Cover_PK.stl 20 kB · 0 downloads

Vz330_RSCS_Mid-Top_Cover.stl 170.2 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for these,  I'll print them out. I have an itch to scratch with regard to "exotic" filaments.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

14% of traffic deaths are motorcyclists and of that percentage ~40% was because of alcohol consumption.

I really do not want to keep hijacking the VZbot discussion, but I must say you are really very good with using numbers in your advantage 🙂

Actually presenting it so it supports your point. Which is admirable 🙂 

For the total number of vehicles driving/riding around, the number of motorcyclists is minuscule. 14% of that, is an immensely high percentage.

To keep it scientific and non-misleading, I did a search on Pubmed.gov, which show similar results to this one. A study done in France (To my surprise there were no similar US studies available for my search terms, even though the US registers more), where a large number of traffic accidents over a long period were analyzed.

The result of the study is exactly what they all keep telling you: The largest number of fatalities, hospitalizations, injuries were in the motor riders group. Drunk driving does not seem to be the number 1 cause in accidents over here. (Not their own fault). 

What I also know from accidents and injuries in Holland, the main reason why motor riders are injured, die, is not because they behave like imbeciles in traffic (some do), but because the car drivers do not see them / anticipate them. 

But again this does not mean I think you shouldn't ride a motor! I think you should enjoy the things you like!

Now back to the VZBot 🙂

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

Sadly... Most people view motorcycle riding as a death sentence. The reality is that while you're more likely to suffer severe injury on a bike than a car... statistically motorcycles aren't dangerous enough to be banned and they're definitely not as dangerous as people think. 14% of traffic deaths are motorcyclists and of that percentage ~40% was because of alcohol consumption.

I guess the problem is that people insert their own skill level / experience into any activity they have little to no experience with and use that as a broad brush to paint all motorcycles as dangerous. For instance, I can't count the number of times someone with zero riding experience has said to me... Be careful out there you can get killed on that thing. And in my head, I translate that into... Yes... YOU would die out there. Me... I've been riding for over 50 years and have owned close to 30 bikes. You have no idea what you're talking about.

And that pretty much sums up what I think about non-riders warning me about the dangers of motorcycles. Myself and many many others are living proof that you can ride your entire life and not die or lose limbs riding motorcycles.

Take a breath. I was (mostly) teasing. I have several friends who ride, so even though I don't I have a little familiarity. It's not the riders who are the problem, it's the oblivious drivers around them. A couple of them have been taken down by said oblivious drivers--and one can no longer ride now that her shoulder is permanently screwed up from that. For me, I make extra sure to be aware and give room when needed.

Enjoy your bikes, and be safe. As I said, I personally prefer my car but that's just me.

• Like 3