Voron Build Tools Mega-List - 2024 Edition

Demosth

On 4/28/2023 at 2:26 PM, 7milesup said:

I have the Quad hands flex four in my shop.  It works well and is very heavy-duty. 

I got the ripoff version on Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07TTZCZPR/

It's quite good, very heavy base.  Nobody knows this yet but I'm a left-hand amputee and this thing is very helpful for me

7151Quxh8BL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.b11a63018a6719b1c6be48b1d80c7bc2.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

I'm always on the lookout for good tools and find them in some of the damnedest places.  Been in the ER lately?  If you have and they open any kind of equipment package ask if you can keep it.  Thing is no matter what they actually use from the package it will all be thrown out because it is no longer sterile once they open it.  Been in the ER twice since I figured this out years ago and now have two such kits as pictured, just asked and they gave them to me no trouble.  The one pair of tweezers are great since the working end is serrated making them excellent for pulling those small cramped together connectors without resorting too pulling on the wires.  Not to mention all of the pieces are medical grade stainless steel.  Probably can find the kits on ebay or amazon but even if you just know someone thats works in an ER you can likely get one.  Stay safe everyone don't go getting hurt just to try and get one I wouldn't say they are that good...lol

2023-10-23 22.41.00_resize.jpg

• Like 2

I'm going to add this to the list of must have tools...

I've had this little tapered hole reamer/deburr tool for ages. The acute taper lets you deburr inside of a counterbore which is usually really hard to get to. Once you try one... you'll be sold.

Anyways... They're cheap, something like $11 US on Amazon

image.thumb.png.20ed7eb7f89d68d8a7f77ee1f6e5a01e.png

• Like 8

On 10/23/2023 at 10:09 PM, kenjesse_75 said:

I'm always on the lookout for good tools and find them in some of the damnedest places.  Been in the ER lately?  If you have and they open any kind of equipment package ask if you can keep it.  Thing is no matter what they actually use from the package it will all be thrown out because it is no longer sterile once they open it.  Been in the ER twice since I figured this out years ago and now have two such kits as pictured, just asked and they gave them to me no trouble.  The one pair of tweezers are great since the working end is serrated making them excellent for pulling those small cramped together connectors without resorting too pulling on the wires.  Not to mention all of the pieces are medical grade stainless steel.  Probably can find the kits on ebay or amazon but even if you just know someone thats works in an ER you can likely get one.  Stay safe everyone don't go getting hurt just to try and get one I wouldn't say they are that good...lol

May we all

never get the opportunity to 

start such a collection!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Razor1666 said:

Cheers @Penatr8tor I was just on the hunt for one of these

Look for "RC Body Reamer" you'll find lots. I've still got mine kicking around from my RC racing days. They're for cutting clean body mounting holes in RC car lexan bodies.

Edited by Sojin
  • Like 2

On 10/23/2023 at 10:09 PM, kenjesse_75 said:

I'm always on the lookout for good tools and find them in some of the damnedest places.  Been in the ER lately?  If you have and they open any kind of equipment package ask if you can keep it.  Thing is no matter what they actually use from the package it will all be thrown out because it is no longer sterile once they open it.  

It's possible that they get these instruments so cheap these days that they don't bother to re-sterilize but rest assured... the hospital and even your local Dentist has an autoclave and both re-sterilize. Although autoclaves are rapidly being replaced by newer technologies like hydrogen peroxide gas plasma, peracetic acid immersion and ozone. Of course, there's a much less painful way of acquiring some hemostats by getting a set of 6 on Amazon for about 12 bucks and for that price... there's no reason not to have a few pairs in your tool kit. I for one use them for all kinds of things from grabbing ooze off the nozzle to inserting little jumpers and holding small stuff.

Seeing this kit made me sick.

We had the same regulations in France like 20 years ago. It was under the pressure of the social security and the insurers, because they didn't want the MDs to do small surgery : there was some extra money to pay... And the pricing of these kits made such practice unprofitable. They wanted the public to go to the public hospitals emergency services. At the same time, they also lowered the radiology prices, made the eletrocardiograms free if made by private MDs, etc.
Luckily, I'm now just retired and don't have to deal with all this crap anymore. I have two autoclaves on sale, if someone is interested. Kidding, I'm keeping them ! These things can do many things. For example giving pretty good vacuum pumps and chambers, and reliable components.

7 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

t's possible that they get these instruments so cheap these days that they don't bother to re-sterilize but rest assured... the hospital and even your local Dentist has an autoclave and both re-sterilize.

I use these on a daily basis - it is what I do for a living. They are cheap and disposable and that is what should happen - dispose of them. They CANNOT be resterilises, even if you wanted to. Even if not used in the procedure there is potential of exposure to contaminants that may be harmful to a person. It is called Clinical Risk Management. 

I also use non-disposable instruments and the sterilising process is quite specific. They get washed with soap and water, then soaked in a sterilising solution, washed again, packed in sterilised bags, sealed  and then autoclaved. 

I agree with @Penatr8tor - just get some on amazon. Health is commodity we often take for granted. There are so many ways we can jeopardise it.

• Like 1

Good evening everyone,

Just watching a little Anime while my latest attempted project prints up on the Voron 01.  Did not mean to start such a holabala regarding salvaging some tools from an ER visit.  And I am in total agreement that it is the least prudent or efficient way to acquire any tool.  That said it is very likely at sometime or other a visit to the ER is in the cards and what's wrong with getting something useful out of an unwanted situation.

On a more legitimate note and one of the most worthwhile tools for printing I've obtained in the last few years was the Gerber Dime, it's a mini version of the multi-tool.  https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/shop/multi-tools/all-multi-tools/dime-black-30-000469  Amazon had them on sale for 15 bucks when I saw them.  But even at the regular thirty'ish its a good buy.

As always stay safe.

Edited by kenjesse_75
Same as always, I'm old and forgetful
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A tool I recently decided to purchase, because at some point, keeping trace of the cable management becomes more and more difficult, and requires a schematics with netnames/net numbers.

DSC00504.thumb.JPG.1c5a82b0915a234f8359c1e43ff4f78b.JPG

In association with the hot air station, and printing heat shrinks, it makes cable labelling much easier and explicit. Finally got one on Amazon with a discount. Of course it also prints ordinary labels. Labels that stick on themselves, unlike Dymo ones.

Replaces these plastic numbers :

DSC00508.thumb.JPG.5139f843a6b677630a4778ba7aca0785.JPG

For better explanations, just watch this old video by Big Clive :

• Like 4

A tool everybody can design and make. Can't stand misaligned dissipators on stepper drivers... Gives me murder pulsions.

Two versions, depending on the fins orientation. Of course centered on the thermal microvias.

DSC00512.thumb.JPG.e94a25a0a95981c5b70cda9189e0160a.JPG

Isn't this beautifull ?

DSC00513.thumb.JPG.f1e23d5504108045fb290f0ed91b51f4.JPG

[EDIT] I didn't post STLs or STEPs, because the jig must have a tight fit, and is very dependant on the heatsink and PCB batches as well as the printer calibration and surface finish (had to make 3 or 4 iterations before it worked as expected); but you get the idea... I think the jig can be made in Cura with the "Parts for calibration" plugin, and the basic boolean operations offered by Cura.

[EDIT2] After all... Uploaded the files. They could be used as a starting point...

2209 Jig.zip

Edited by YaaJ
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/24/2023 at 5:09 AM, kenjesse_75 said:

If I had done this for all my surgeries I'd have one helluva tool kit! As it is I just have a pair of tweezers, I didn't want the DaVinci machine.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, DangerBit said:

I asked Santa for this so I haven't actually tried it yet, but it looks like a really nice take on helping hands. 

https://omnifixo.com

1 hour ago, TitusADuxass said:

They're worth every penny they cost.

I was going to say the exact same thing. These are the best helping hands I've ever used by a long shot, it isn't even close. I hope Santa delivers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, claudermilk said:

These are the best helping hands I've ever used by a long shot, it isn't even close.

So true - hope Santa delivers, was fortunate to get one last year - Nicely worn by now but oh sooo good!!!!

IMG_5602.thumb.png.cf95069da4cbc435d47942c6bf3307c9.png

9 hours ago, TitusADuxass said:

They're worth every penny they cost.

No doubt about it. Well made and versatile.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2022 at 10:12 AM, SteveThatcher said:

The missing tool... I have worked with threaded metal inserts for years. The one thing I have found indispensable is a simple to make tool that allows you to pull inserts out of plastic and help with getting them started to install.

The one shown is for 3mm inserts. I used an aluminum rod, drilled and tapped a hole on the end, and cut the head off a 3mm screw to put in the end. I thread the insert on a few turns and place the insert at the hole to be "threaded". I use a old Weller soldering iron with a conical tip, and finally the non-blade end of a large hobby knife (1/2" round flat surface) to flatten out any plastic ridge formed.  I also heat up inserts and then use the tool to pull out ones to recycle (I know, cheap parts but I don't like to waste them).

metric_tool_5x5.jpg

For those of you with access to McMaster-Carr, but without access to a drill press/full machine shop, there's this: https://www.mcmaster.com/products/threaded-insert-tools/extraction-tips-for-heat-set-inserts/

You could also repurpose a LDO tip, removing the cylindrical end. Of course, it will never be able to insert anything again !

On my side, I just use the tool I use for the inserts and wiggle it while pulling, not messing with a twisted power cord ! Wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah ! Also used a long M3x50 screw, heated using either a torch or a soldering iron. The part is ruined in any case*. So why bother ? I don't understand.

Could also use a male-female M3 standoff. Brass or steel.

LDO iron tip (I don't like them) :

image.png.dded1d5e728cb369a01d2a84984f3b1b.png

* ruined parts ? Not always. Saved some using thick ABS juice [EDIT] slury, applying it with a toothpick to rebuild the holes. Also saved a few parts with bad design (holes being too large)

Edited by YaaJ

• Demosth changed the title to Voron Build Tools Mega-List - 2024 Edition