2.4 Siboor kit

Mr. Hedgehog

Lesson about carelessness.

As promised, I put printer on its rightful place, and decided to check hotend LEDs connections. All seemed good, so I put hotend fan back, but did it wrong side. "No big deal", I thought and pushed it out, turned over and pushed back in place. Well, I broke a structural "rib", and because sunon fan have very thin plastic, it jammed blades, and hotend fan didn't work. And I got a clog. And then when trying to find out what happened, I broke fan completely. New fan came only Wednesday evening.

Spoiler

There were no hardware problems with LEDs. They weren't configured properly in config provided with the kit.

I configured input shaping, first level squish and pressure advance and started printing. And it's awesome. Still need to play with retraction, speeds and accelerations, but prints already come out with excellent quality without  much effort. Only thing that I struggle with is preheating bed for five or so minutes (with 220v it heats up very fast) before print start. I guess, I'll set up a macro for this. Shouldn't be hard.

This weekend will adjust belts tension, and continue with Ellis' tuning guide concerning retractions and speeds - I want to go as fast as possible with best quality. Don't get me wrong, this beast is already fast. But I have a feeling that it is possible to go faster.

And here is short video: https://youtu.be/kDT1SYUyZlo

Now, to problems. "Resume" macros doesn't work properly, so need to fix it. It is annoying that I can pause print, but can't resume it. Controller fans are loud. I'm ok with loud fans, but they not only loud, but they loud with very high whining. Already ordered two new fans for replacement. And that's it for problems with printer, actually. There is stuff that I want to do (brush mod, load/unload macros and so on), but for now it's already awesome. And with way less hustle than Ender was.

photo_2024-01-19 13.39.06.jpeg

photo_2024-01-19 13.39.11.jpeg

• Like 3

Looks  great 😃

You know that some parts in the stealthburner are supposed to break when you insert the fan? 🙂

See attachment.

Controller compartment fans you can reduce power to 50 or 60% and it will still cool enough to keep temperature of the electronics bay low, without the whining sound.

I have also seen some mods to stop whining fans on the skirt.

But you can also buy more expensive fans 🙂

See Ellis' speed test macro. it will show you how you can go as fast as possible with this printer 🙂

ENjoy your Voron!

Screenshot_20240119-133323~2.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirk said:

You know that some parts in the stealthburner are supposed to break when you insert the fan?

First assembly went great. It was my carelessness, inattentiveness and brute force that broke the fan.

1 hour ago, Dirk said:

Controller compartment fans you can reduce power to 50 or 60% and it will still cool enough to keep temperature of the electronics bay low, without the whining sound.

They already at 60%. I have PC fan that only works relatively quiet on 100%, so I tried to run those fans at 100%. It was unbearable, so I reverted back to 60. Since I already ordered new fans, I'll just replace ones that are came with a kit.

1 hour ago, Dirk said:

See Ellis' speed test macro. it will show you how you can go as fast as possible with this printer

I also need my shelf (it's metal IKEA Bror) to withstand vibrations and not crumble. Somehow it's not very stable. I'll move onto it on weekend.

9 minutes ago, claudermilk said:

and got GDSTIME fans there, they were the loudest part of the printer.

Oh my. That's what I ordered. I don't mind them being loud. I don't want them to be ear piercing.

24 minutes ago, Mr. Hedgehog said:

inattentiveness and brute force

I hear what you say. This cost me a motherboard or two, carelessly screwing a screw with metal drivers/ inserting a pin, while electronics on...  Maybe three... motherboards... So fan is not bad. I hear they were calling it the 'fat-finger-syndrome' previously on this forum. But carelessness is a better description I think.

I saw this mod: https://github.com/cruiten/Voron-Related/tree/main/FanSilencer

I think it is definitely worth trying when your 20USD gdstime fans still make noise (mine cost 3 euros a pair). Just costs a bit of plastic.

I remember at high school, sound waves and how they interact with eachother was one of the hardest parts to understand. So I guess this mod makes use of that principle and might resolve your whining problem. 

1 hour ago, claudermilk said:

I think I've mentioned I resolved the loud controller fans by swapping them to 12V Noctuas. Even though I self sourced and got GDSTIME fans there, they were the loudest part of the printer.

That will be my go-to fans when I'll be upgrading the electronic bay fans, I've also implemented your macro for the bay fans thank you for that! Are you monitoring rpm on the new fans?

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 1

Some say that there are tons of counterfeit GDSTIME and SUNON fans...
The worse being sellers that describe their fans as this or that, but Photoshop the pictures, removing the brand name. Ask me how I know.

Have plenty of GDSTIME 24V 4020 I got from Ali before the pandemic and before the hype, for really cheap. No doubt they are great. But Voron doesn't make use of 20mm thick fans 😞

Since then, been lucky with a cheap brand : Pengda... Most likely not the best ones, but best bang for the bucks on my side. (when I replace fans, I just remove the stickers, unsolder the wires from the old one and resolder them to the new one, it's a matter of minutes). Seems to me that my old Tornado came with this brand.

Got Noctua's for a controller enclosure... Loud as hell. The most expensive fans I ever purchased, with plenty of useless accessories in a ridiculous packaging, including heatshrink that makes the wires as rigid as rebar. Even after adding resistors. Never again.

For my PC, more than happy with BeQuiet fans. 9 fans ; had up to 15, in a push pull configuration (WC for a silent PC with 3 radiators, all PWM fans. CPU+4xGPUs. Silent PC...). Unfortunately they don't manufacture small fans.

Edited by YaaJ

23 hours ago, PFarm said:

That will be my go-to fans when I'll be upgrading the electronic bay fans, I've also implemented your macro for the bay fans thank you for that! Are you monitoring rpm on the new fans?

Good to hear they helped. I don't monitor rpm; I think that's the third wire from the fan? They are just on or off.

• Like 1

Just remembered that a few years back, I made mufflers for my Tevo Tornado controller. The idea was to break soundwaves and make them pile up randomly (more or less). The way engine mufflers work (the second muffler, on 4 stroke engines). It worked. Wouldn't say fine, but the noise was reduced. Really. Not having anything for measurements, no idea how many dB.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3945395

Maybe such a design could improve the mod.

• Like 2