Formbot3d Voron V0.1

3dKaosMonkey

Received by Formbot3d Voron V0.1 BOM in a box today which I had ordered on January 14th.

Other than assembling a Creality CR-10 I have no other 3d printer experience.   I was so eagerly wanting a Voron I bought two kits the V0.1 and the V2.4.   

I think I have bitten off more than I can chew..... I'll be lucky if I get the V0.1 built and working. Though I suspect I will learn lots along the way.

I am still waiting on my printed parts so in the meantime I did the unboxing to just document what I got from Formbot and how it matched up to their website advertisement.

I welcome any words of wisdom or guidance to help me along with this build.

Looking forward to follow along on your build diary, there are many many people here that will help you through your assembly and we WILL hlp you get that bad boy working. Please continue to post updates on this thread and I look forward to seeing more!

Thanks for posting a video!

I presume since you've picked up the "BOM in a box" terminology you have watched at least some of Nero's build videos. He is currently building a Lecktor V0.1 kit on his new Tuesday streams. If you can get on them live, the comments section is loaded with great people who can answer questions along with Nero.

From watching those myself and specifically his comments, the V0 is mainly very specific on order of operations and it seems critical to make sure you have pre-loaded the T-nuts in each extrusion before bolting in.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, claudermilk said:

I presume since you've picked up the "BOM in a box" terminology you have watched at least some of Nero's build videos. He is currently building a Lecktor V0.1 kit on his new Tuesday streams. If you can get on them live, the comments section is loaded with great people who can answer questions along with Nero.

From watching those myself and specifically his comments, the V0 is mainly very specific on order of operations and it seems critical to make sure you have pre-loaded the T-nuts in each extrusion before bolting in.

Yes, I did start watching his build and I did pose the Formbot3d question in the chat and he made the comment of "BOM in a BOX" so I figured I'd use that terminology vs saying its a kit.   I did find with the Formbot3d BOM the linear rails do not have the metal extrusion inserts so I need to figure out how those get mounted absent those inserts.  Also I need to continue to research any helpful tools that may need to be printed or purchased to help with the build.   I will continue to follow his Tuesday build.   I wondered what his granite slab was for so after he said it for a true flat build surface I have been looking to source an offcut myself.

1 minute ago, claudermilk said:

From what I understand, that top part unscrews, leaving you with the second picture and there should be threaded holes in the top of that remaining heat sink.

Ah... let me check.. I just put everything back in the box since I don't have my printed parts yet.  Thanks for pointing that out to me.   

• 2 weeks later...

Printed Parts have finally arrived !!!!

Any words of wisdom to share with a young voron grasshopper before starting the V0.1 and V2.4 build quest?

Curious to know if there are any parts you would swap out given my kits are formbots and/or any mods you'd incorporate into a new build or for that matter anything to help the build go smoother?

20220214_102037.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Well it has been over a year and my V0 is about ready to get built... 

I have a question since I robbed the MCU out of my formbot kit for another printer.

Wondering  if I can use the

My concern is if I can still run the Mini 12864 with this set up or do I need to get a different mcu/pi set up?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 3dKaosMonkey said:

Well it has been over a year and my V0 is about ready to get built... 

I have a question since I robbed the MCU out of my formbot kit for another printer.

My concern is if I can still run the Mini 12864 with this set up or do I need to get a different mcu/pi set up?

welcome back

22 hours ago, 3dKaosMonkey said:

You can certainly run a V0 with that (I have) and it works very nicely using the UART connection to tie the two together. Makes for a really good small electronics package. There is no screen connector on the PICO so you'd need some other solution.

Not with the PICO but there are touch screens that work with the PI Zero - guess you could run KlipperScreen. The PI Zero 2 is will have enough head room to probably run that and the Mainsail and klipper. Personally I have not tried it, I'm not hugely bothered about screens (as long as I can make a web connection), but it is something on my never-ending todo list. One challenge is the sighting of touch screen and PI, a lot of the touch-screens I've seen seem to  expect the PI to be mounted on the back. So it might be you have a long power/uart cable from the PICO to the PI which is close proxmity to the touch screen.

BTW, the Pi Zero does not have a DSI port so things like the official Raspberry PI TFT touch screen (which is DSI) won't work.

I guess I was not aware of the voron v0 screen... I had thought it took the Mini 12864 which has the ExP1 and ExP2 and there are no pins on the BTT SKR Pico for it.    Seems I can do this v0 screen- or should I say that is what is common if someone wants a screen on the V0 --- headless is probably the preferred for most people I think.

Indeed - I don't have the brain power but would love to see how to make the Mini 12864 work with this set up.

not sure if there is a way to - looking at pin out for like the BTT SKR E3V3 it takes all of the SPI pins to accomplish it.

Where the PICO has some available pins maybe 10 but not sure if they can be mapped in order to use the Mini 12864 LCD