Config file with TAP. HELP!

7milesup

Question

Background...  I'm a total beginner when it comes to configuration files because this is my first 3D printer build (other than a Prusa 2.5s that I "built").  

I am going nuts trying to figure out a z_offset issue when trying to update Klipper.  Here is what the ERROR states...  (sorry, I was going to do a screenshot but can't figure out how to do that either in a Linux ecosystem).

Option 'z_offset' in section 'probe' must be specified

Once the underlying issue is corrected, use the "RESTART"
command to reload the config and restart the host software.
Printer is halted

I followed the "Updating your Klipper config for Tap" instructions from Github BUT, I have no idea where or how the "PROBE_CALIBRATE" line is used.  

There are no values at the end of my config file because this error, and others that I have encountered, will not let the printer run.  I have attached my config file, which probably has a bunch of errors in it. 

Build is Voron 2.4r with Phaetus Rapido and TAP as the only non standard mods from the Formbot kit.

Help would be greatly appreciated.  🙂

printer.cfg

1 hour ago, mvdveer said:

START_PRINT BED_TEMP=[first_layer_bed_temperature] EXTRUDER_TEMP=[first_layer_temperature]

You are correct that mine just has the Print_start in start of g-code under machine settings.  So the "[=first_layer_bed_temperature] is telling the printer to look at the g-code produced by the slicer and set the bed and extruder temp to those first layer settings? 

In your second post, would all of that be in the Cura machine settings, thus expanding on your previous basic settings of bed and extruder temps?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 7milesup said:

In your second post, would all of that be in the Cura machine settings, thus expanding on your previous basic settings of bed and extruder temps?

The only thing that goes in cura GCode settings is this line:

START_PRINT BED_TEMP=[first_layer_bed_temperature] EXTRUDER_TEMP=[first_layer_temperature]

• Like 1

Then in your printer.cfg file - look for the [gcode macro START_PRINT]

Deleted this

Copy the following and paste that into your printer.cfg file

[gcode_macro START_PRINT]
gcode:
    #G32                            ; home all axes
    #G90                            ; absolute positioning
    #G1 Z20 F3000                   ; move nozzle away from bed
    BED_MESH_CLEAR
    G90                             ;Absolute positioning
    M117 Homing...
    G28                             ;Homes all the axis
    M117 Heating bed ......
    M140 S{params.BED_TEMP}         ;Heats the bed to the temperature obtained from the slicer
    M190 S{params.BED_TEMP}         ;Waits for the bed to reach temperature before running any other commands
    M109 S150                       ;Heats the nozzle to 150 in order to use TAP
    M117 Leveling Gantry ........
    QUAD_GANTRY_LEVEL               ;Levels the gantry
    BED_MESH_CALIBRATE              ; does a bed mesh and saves it as default for the current session
    M117 Loading Mesh ........
    BED_MESH_PROFILE Load=default   ;Loads the mesh - now has to be done explicitely, not automatically loaded anymore
    G0 X150 Y150 Z30 F3600          ;Moves to the centre of the bed
    M117 Heating Toolhead
    M104 S{params.TOOL_TEMP}        ;Heats the toolhead to the temp obtained from the slicer
    M109 S{params.TOOL_TEMP}        ;Waits for the toolhead to reach temperature before starting the print
#    M117 Prime Line ..........     ;Prints a Prime Line 
#    G92 E0.0                       ;reset extruder distance position
#    G1 X10 Y10 Z0.3 F3000          ;move to prime line position
#    G1 X60 E10.0 F1000             ;intro line 1
#    G1 X200 E30 F500               ;intro line 2
#    G92 E0.0                       ;reset extruder distance position
    G90                             ;Absolute positining
    M117 Starting Print .......

• Like 1

Now before you start to print anything make sure to calibrate your probe first, if not already done. We don't want scratches on that brand new PEI plate 😁 How do I know this - Experience and a couple of ruined plates 🙄

PROBE_CALIBRATE

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 7milesup said:

Looks like a possible wiring issue? 

Did you test the extruder seperately to the motors? This is most likely a cross over in the wires.(Been there, done that) . Could also be the hold_current in the TMC section

If X homes, Y home and Z homes, and you can sucessfully do a QGL, then it means their drivers are A-OK. The only one left is the extruder.

Heat the toolhead to 200 for PLA.

Issue the following command:

G1 E50 F60  - extrude 50mm of filament slowly

If you get the same error, we know it is a cross over of the extruder motor wires.

Gotta think which two wires we have to swap.

• Like 1

It's printing!!!  😁

The error came from the Extruder wiring harness on the Octopus board.  For some reason I had two wires switched around.  Now I need to do the fine tuning.  I also need to look at the LED commands because at the moment I have no light on the toolhead. 

Thank you guys sooooooo much.  What a ride.  I have learned so much in the last few days.  I have a friend and coworker that is building the same exact one that I have, so hopefully I can help him out when his Voron is finished and pass it forward.

Don't get too comfortable though, I am sure that there will be more questions coming from me tomorrow.  🙂

Edited by 7milesup
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, 7milesup said:

I also need to look at the LED commands because at the moment I have no light on the toolhead. 

First step again is wiring and making sure you have the LEDs connected to 5V and the board pins are defined correctly.

Looking through your printer.cfg file it seems the LEDs have not been defined. See here for further info.

Happy to run you through this when needed.

• Like 1