Not A Voron

Penatr8tor

Welp... Venturing into uncharted waters again. This time something new and something different. I started printing parts right after I ordered the kit from @Fabreeko_Hector. The kit comes with printed parts but, I want to build this printer with parts that I printed. I don't know... do you think that's cheating? Some of you already know what it is but for now I'll let you guess, it won't be too hard to figure out. 🙂 First bunch of parts. Filament is Polymaker Polylite ASA Purple, Noz=240c - Bed=110c, Speed was 40 mm/s 1st layer, 150 mm/s - 3000 accel for everything except the outer perimeter and top which is 60 mm/s. Chamber was ~43c. I would say the results are good but not great, definitely acceptable. Still need to print a couple more purple parts and a few black parts and hopefully... I'll have them ready for this weekend.

20221117_193612.thumb.jpg.6a1936551764093b2f09f17dfd1faab9.jpg

Edited by Penatr8tor
  • Like 1

Yep, Currently having fun printing parts in the background.

I finished up printing the purple parts and am now doing the last few prints in black of the remaining parts. I'm trying really hard not to go over board and print a bunch of mods for it before the box has even arrived at the door. 😆

429480464_20221118_0714031.thumb.jpg.2f7650985f4d705561cc6765fbae7ffb.jpg438848976_20221118_1136531.thumb.jpg.e1476a5be50ddf287e9e12e2b328ebab.jpg

• Like 1

Agree but there's also a few really good quality of life improvement as well. Mostly having to do with reverse bowden tube mounting and some really nice integrated electronics cases. The kit one comes with a seperate case with umbilical but given that the electronics don't use much space... it seems fooling to not have it at the very least attachable to the printer. I will built it stock, dial it in and then rip it apart to add mod's.

This is the way - The Mandalorian 😅

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, atrushing said:

We used to say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." But where is the fun in that!?

Bingo!

I just had to use the "Exclude Object" feature in Mainsail/Klipper... One of the small cylindrical parts I was printing didn't have enough surface area to adhere to the bed and got knocked over. I clicked exclude and selected the failed object. Then paused the print for a second while I cleaned up the mess and hit resume. God I love Klipper.

737045622_ExcludeObject.thumb.jpg.019522aebefb7ad41b2a84669c769e5f.jpg

Edited by Penatr8tor
  • Like 2
  • Voron FTW! 2

1 hour ago, Penatr8tor said:

I just had to use the "Exclude Object" feature in Mainsail/Klipper..

I have never used that, it has intrigued me so good to know it does what it says on the tin.

1 hour ago, atrushing said:

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I've lived through the hell (technically still living it) of applying that mantra to the extreme. It very quickly turns into "Why is everything unspportable and out-of-date?". Clearly there's a happy medium, so mod away! Guess,the only danger is getting distracted with mods and never getting the printer finished/working 🤔

1 minute ago, smirk said:

Forgot to ask @Penatr8tor, I'm interested in the sgian dubh  next to the prints in the first picture. Is that for scale or just a reminder to people not to touch your stuff?

Actually it's a Puma Bock Stag, German, Hand made circa 1970. I got it when my grand dad passed a couple decades ago. It's perfect for gliding the blade under the skirt and prime strip. Below is the modern variant.

https://pumaknifecompanyusa.com/Puma-Bock-Stag-German-Made-Hunting-Knife-with-Leather-Sheath-P229.aspx

OK... So... I want this thing to be printing 5 minute benchy's by 5 pm tomorrow so I better get crankin'. 🤪

Just kidding, If it can print a 20mm cube by Sunday evening, I'll be happy as a cob roller in fecal matter. Should be doable.

Parts just came in and I did a quick inventory. Two boxes taped together, one is the mechanical kit (2 boxes on the left) and the full electrical kit. The heater and wires stacked in between both boxes comes with the electronics kit. On initial inspection everything looks in good order, nicely packaged, even came with a Pi 3A (that's a bonus). The green and black printed parts are very nicely printed,  PETG I believe. So let me dig thru this stuff and get to building. Stay tuned, more coming.

image.thumb.jpeg.726e3b9622fad7e38ee68ed244da2ebd.jpeg

• Like 2

Here's the full mechanical kit. Parts look really nice, black finish on extrusions and plates look to be either anodise or more than likely powder coat. Either way they look great, finish also looks to be pretty durable. The bag contains all the fasteners, belts, pulleys, bowden tubes, couplers, etc. Z axis lead screw and build plate also come in the mech kit. Build plate is pretty hefty for a printer this small but more mass equals less warp so not gonna bitch. Blue color is the protective coating.1342926635_20221118_1618221.thumb.jpg.75de9280599ad2595e92e1d45bac699d.jpg

• Like 2

I had to print up some rail alignment jigs. I found some pretty cool ones on printables that are wedge shaped with a RatRig logo on them. Not that I care about the logo so much. My initial concern with these is that they were quite a bit larger than the ones I used for my Voron 2.4 and print time for 6 of them (2 each) was a good 3 hours so, I called it a day and started the print job. Right around bed time the parts finished and here I am... Saturday morning, Hot coffee and a cool printer to build. Feels like it's gonna be a good day, at least until the phone rings... fingers crossed. 

Below is a pic of the Z and Y MGN15 x 250mm rails. Cleaned up and properly lubed they're now installed and torqued. The jigs worked great, nice tight fit that sets the rails in the proper location without any wiggle.

135360093_20221119_0851531.thumb.jpg.80eebe21e80ab405f711a9f90826184b.jpg 

OK, Moving right along... Z axis stepper, thrust bearing and coupler installed. Y axis stepper and 9mm pulley installed as well. Even though the build guide doesn't specify blue loctite... or any other thread locker for that matter... I went ahead and made sure that anything screwed to a stepper motor shaft gets thread locker. It's just good practice in my opinion. So far the build process has been super smooth. Yes, I needed to ream out a few holes in printed parts and I had one M3x30 hammerhead that I had to chase the threads with a tap but, overall... no issues.

1799495270_20221119_0955401.thumb.jpg.39523d1038dcab8c9968f2eda6b180dc.jpg

Just got done installing the bed. This included sticking on the heater and magnet. Also installed a couple cable mounts. Then onto to installing the X Axis extrusion onto the Z-Axis linear rail. I installed it as per the instructions and snugged the 3 M5 screws that hold it in place and I thought to myself... Hmmm how do I ensure that this cantilevered extrusion is parallel to the bed and then it hit me... 123 blocks. 😄 I swear these $20 blocks have saved my butt countless times. I don't know how I would could build any machine without them. When I built my 2.4... every corner was built with a 123 block clamped in place and i think it really makes a huge difference in repeatability, smooth operation and accuracy of prints. Definitely a must have.

Bed-01.thumb.jpg.235f5f1a104e64a9775a8589c6b2afda.jpgBed-02.thumb.jpg.8da1e356f8eeb878c21fbe5cb50a8be1.jpgBed-03.thumb.jpg.ff111d2ca08227fa72f0559e6aca6d27.jpgX-Axis-01.thumb.jpg.f6d4b24b48cf47ed645c5432ff0d3a49.jpg

• Like 1