Voron 2.4 print start location

nannyogg82

Question

Hi, first time post here. I bought a Voron 2.4 kit a few months ago and have finally got it completed. But now I am having issues with the print start location.

So far I have only managed to actually start a print once. But it wasn't adhering. Between this failed print and trying again, I reset the Z offset and I also installed Klipper Screen, and every time since then I have tried to start a print, the print head lowers itself over the Z endstop as pictured and tries to print there. This happens with both Super Slicer and Cura. You can actually see the damage on the printhead due to banging against the Z endstop.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to fix this? I have tried looking in the config file but I am at a bit of a loss.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Ok, as I say the configs in the new update are "stored" in a directory called "printer_data", however, most of the configs there are really links/pointers back to the original files.

If you can log into the PI and try a "ls -l ~/klipper_config/"

I am hoping you'll see a list like:

-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi  2125 Aug 28  2021 mainsail.cfg
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi  1285 Nov  8 19:11 moonraker.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 10736 Jun  9 15:55 printer-20220613_134557.cfg
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 11068 Jul 19 22:23 printer.cfg

Then if you can also try a "ls -l ~/printer_data/" and we'll see if any of those links are correct.

For example: my set up looks like:

pi@voronpi:~ $ ls -l ~/printer_data/
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 3 pi pi 4096 Nov  8 19:11 backup
drwxr-xr-x 2 pi pi 4096 Nov  8 19:08 certs
lrwxrwxrwx 1 pi pi   23 Nov  8 19:11 config -> /home/pi/klipper_config
lrwxrwxrwx 1 pi pi   28 Nov  8 19:11 database -> /home/pi/.moonraker_database
lrwxrwxrwx 1 pi pi   20 Nov  8 19:11 gcodes -> /home/pi/gcode_files
lrwxrwxrwx 1 pi pi   21 Nov  8 19:11 logs -> /home/pi/klipper_logs
drwxr-xr-x 2 pi pi 4096 Nov  8 19:11 systemd

I could well be luring you on a wild-goose chase (I hope not) but definitely try that "Refresh" from @mvdveer

If that doesn't cure it,then my guess might be the "config" directory entry inside your "printer_data" folder is not a symlink to the original klipper_config directory it could just be an empty directory. In which case the directory listing would look more like:

pi@spiderpi:~ $ ls -l printer_data
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 2 pi pi 4096 Nov  8 21:26 config
drwxr-xr-x 2 pi pi 4096 Nov  8 21:26 logs
drwxr-xr-x 2 pi pi 4096 Nov  8 21:26 systemd

(Note: the difference in that "config" line,  it starts with a "d" for directory rather than "l" for link)

As I say, unless something has gone terribly, badly wrong the installer/upgrader will not remove or destroy the config files (perhaps just shuffle things around). They will still be there.

I

48 minutes ago, mvdveer said:

Have you tried clicking the "refresh " button in the left hand panel? This happened to me and clicking refresh fixed it. Worth a try

image.png.7f264138ddb33bcb6732beeed2944563.png

I tried that multiple times, just tried it now and there the files all are... bizarre!

Right, now I can get on with the config and hopefully get this printing as it should. Thanks for your help, I'll update as I go along. 🙂

38 minutes ago, nannyogg82 said:

I tried that multiple times, just tried it now and there the files all are... bizarre!

Glad it got sorted in the end. 

21 minutes ago, smirk said:

I would've thought your reboots would have cleared the issue/found the fies

The latest mainsail and moon raker updates resulted in some weird behaviour. Only found the solution through trial and error

17 minutes ago, nannyogg82 said:

I'm getting there slowly, but now I'm getting the following message... lol Still some issue with file directories?

Screenshot 2022-10-03 143934.jpg

You may need to re-install mainsail. The easiest is through kiauh (Klipper install and update helper)

ssh into your raspi:

image.png.e6a5524b99eae105c8f297c5eab96434.png

Enter your password:

image.png.cdb8b309f6d60c211e24645a47f0622b.png

Follow the install instructions:  (https://github.com/th33xitus/kiauh)

image.thumb.png.af052d78a6f60b23c2e89481d4a1ad74.png

Once installed, issue the following commands if kiauh did not open up: (should launch with the last line listed above (./kiauh/kiauh.sh)

image.png.b2eb10faf7c9819be698fdc555034132.png

followed by:

image.png.83b4ab6a5e68cf3b915f2c219454f0fa.png

which will bring you to:

image.thumb.png.b270aaece12830649a58f505702f9989.png

Type 1 and enter. This will bring up the next screen:

image.thumb.png.2288b8a09ab84f73bf4d39bbc5042cbb.png

Type 3 and enter and let the magic happen

Edited by mvdveer
Clarified explanation

52 minutes ago, mvdveer said:

You may need to re-install mainsail. The easiest is through kiauh (Klipper install and update helper)

ssh into your raspi:

image.png.e6a5524b99eae105c8f297c5eab96434.png

Enter your password:

image.png.cdb8b309f6d60c211e24645a47f0622b.png

Follow the install instructions:  (https://github.com/th33xitus/kiauh)

image.thumb.png.af052d78a6f60b23c2e89481d4a1ad74.png

Once installed, issue the following commands if kiauh did not open up: (should launch with the last line listed above (./kiauh/kiauh.sh)

image.png.b2eb10faf7c9819be698fdc555034132.png

followed by:

image.png.83b4ab6a5e68cf3b915f2c219454f0fa.png

which will bring you to:

image.thumb.png.b270aaece12830649a58f505702f9989.png

Type 1 and enter. This will bring up the next screen:

image.thumb.png.2288b8a09ab84f73bf4d39bbc5042cbb.png

Type 3 and enter and let the magic happen

Still getting the same error message I'm afraid. 

You're cursed 🤣

Ok, let's see if there is even a mainsail.config file or if it's just hiding somewhere else.....

If you SSH into your PI and run "sudo find / -name "mainsail.config" -type f -print". That will prompt you for your "sudo" password which is basically the regular login password. For example:

pi@spiderpi:~ $ sudo find / -name "mainsail.config" -type f -print
[sudo] password for pi: <regular password>

That will basically search the entire PI (/)  for a file (-type f)  called "mainsail.config" (-name "mainsail.config") and display the results (-print).

If it finds something it'll list the fulll path to where it found it. If it simply returns back to the command prompt then there's no occurence of that file anywhere.

I can't remember if I asked - but when you last reflashed your PI (back to the stock MainSailOS) did it work? In other words, has it only gone to poo since you (had to) update the install to the latest versions of stuff?

I imagine something simple has gone badly wrong somewhere and is now cocking up all attempts to fix. At the end of the day, scripts can be useulf but they're based around an implicit set of assumptions (e.g. package manager is working) and if something has occurred that the script writer did not think about/include then all bets are off.

It's going to be an interesting and long(er) journey but we'll get there!

6 minutes ago, atrushing said:

pi@mainsailos:~$ .scripts/data-path-fix.sh

That might not work in it's current form. Depends on where the data-path-fix.sh lives. On my machine it is within the moonraker directory so the command is:

./moonraker/scripts/data-path-fix.sh

NB: I'm assuming you've just logged in and are in the /home/pi directory.

• Like 1

Sorry, throwing thoughts out as they occur. Can you try a "df -h" command. For example:

pi@spiderpi:~/klipper_config $ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root       7.1G  5.5G  1.3G  82% /
devtmpfs        404M     0  404M   0% /dev
tmpfs           436M     0  436M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           436M  5.9M  430M   2% /run
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           436M     0  436M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1  253M   49M  204M  20% /boot
tmpfs            88M     0   88M   0% /run/user/1000

Bit of a paranoia on my part - you are looking at the entries in the Use%" column anything in high 90's is bad. If the disk/sd-card were somehow full then that could account for all these wondrously missing/failing things....

Anyway, onto an approach:

I think the first thing to do is track down if that "mainsail.config" file exists (odd name, it's generally "mainsail.cfg"). If it does exist, then great. If not I would double check that there's not actually a file called "mainsail.cfg".

Next thing to try as @atrushing suggests is that "data-path-fix.sh" script. Looking at the script, it creates a new "printer_data" folder and creates the necessay symlinks in it and then re-runs the moonraker install. The script will exercise a bunch of stuff (package manager, python install, general file-system stuff). Keep an eye out for horrible errors as it spews out it's various messages.

If things are still borked (hopefully not worse) then.......

The reference to the mainsail configuration (which in my experience is always all "mainsail.cfg" rather than "mainsail.config") is in the main printer.cfg file. Basically there will be an include line in the printer.cfg file probably near the top. You can still access the printer.cfg file through the web-interface in the "Machine section":

printer-cfg.thumb.jpeg.cdb47798903b2ff206d7566ae2b914bf.jpeg

For example, in the printer.cfg file:

# See docs/Config_Reference.md for a description of parameters.

##===================================================================
[include mainsail.cfg]

In your case it will say " [include mainsail.config]"

A belt and braces check would be to comment that line out, just stick a '#' in front:

#[include mainsail.cfg]

Then "Save & Restart".

The error (should hopefully) then change to one about missing configuration:

missing-config.jpeg.4ff43255cd1e7f596c82de2257c64cba.jpeg

Everything else should work. You should be able to control the printer turn stuff on and off.

It's a bit bodgey commenting out the mainsail config but it means  we know if there will be further issues (yet more missing configs and what not). If everything else looks fine then we can simply worry about sorting the mainsail config. Sorry I'm being paranoid 🤪

We can fix the mainsail.cfg settings easily - as long as we know they'll be found (in the correct place).

• Like 1

So I managed to solve this latest error just by renaming the mainsail.cfg to mainsail.config.

I have actually got everything working! Sort of! I did all the tuning, set all the various parameters and sliced the Voron design cube to run my first print and every time I try to open the uploaded file it just says "Unable to open file". This happens with files sliced in both Cura and SuperSlicer. Is this likely another directory issue? Are the Gcode files being stored somewhere unaccessible? Thank you all for the time you've put into this for me. 

1 minute ago, nannyogg82 said:

So I managed to solve this latest error just by renaming the mainsail.cfg to mainsail.config.

I have actually got everything working! Sort of! I did all the tuning, set all the various parameters and sliced the Voron design cube to run my first print and every time I try to open the uploaded file it just says "Unable to open file". This happens with files sliced in both Cura and SuperSlicer. Is this likely another directory issue? Are the Gcode files being stored somewhere unaccessible? Thank you all for the time you've put into this for me. 

I'm an idiot, just noticed this error message so answered my own question. Any ideas anyone?

screen.jpg

I semi-quickly skimmed this thread. It sounds very much like you are running into the same issue I did when updating moonraker. See here.

The breaking change is it moved the config file location from ~/klipper_config to ~/printer_data/config. I was tearing my hair out until I was convinced to run the data-path-fix script. That simply creates a symlink from the old location to the new location. So ~printer_data/config is pointing to the old files in ~klipper_config. It works. Thanks to @atrushingfor talking me into running it.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, claudermilk said:

You can just open it up in Mainsail and copy, then paste into a code block in your post. Or, download from Mainsail and attach the file to your post.

This one?

[gcode_macro PRINT_START]
gcode:
    G32                            ; home all axes
    G90                            ; absolute positioning
    G1 Z20 F3000                   ; move nozzle away from bed