Nozzle Probing comes to BEACON

1 hour ago, kingstar said:

Both the Beacon and Cartographer have accelerometers in them, so probably using those to detect when the nozzle physically touches the bed.

Except that the touch works with both the Rev D and Rev H the Rev D having no accelerometer.

My guess is that because the sensor can measure distance extremely fast with very very high accuracy, it just looks for when the Z measurement drops from a steady state to stopped or slowed. For example: Say the nozzle moving towards the bed, 30mm to 20mm to 10mm to when the nozzle touches 0mm to -0.00001mm to -0.00002mm and STOP... You have touched something.

It's only a guess. My background is mechanical so that's my disclaimer. 🤪

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

My guess

16 hours ago, chrisalbertson said:

I can't see

On 5/5/2024 at 5:51 PM, Penatr8tor said:

Probably not.

Man... you guys are like a bunch of old wives telling tales and gossiping around 

Stop speculating about the so called magic of how Beacon code works... They say it is MAGIC.. I say MAGIC is very middle-ages...

Some say they Believe it is... I say Believing you can do in the church, mosque, synagoge, temple or whatever building you go to for believing...

I placed a post yesterday, which gives you the source code of how it is done. Go take a look at THE SOURCE how it works. So you will know there is no magic. No guessing. No praying. No slipping. Just logics and electronics.

For those who can't read the code, read the comment from the klipper developer. And what @mvdveer has to say about it.

And of course @Penatr8tor does an educated guess and is right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dirk said:

Man... you guys are like a bunch of old wives telling tales and gossiping around 

Stop speculating about the so called magic of how Beacon code works... They say it is MAGIC.. I say MAGIC is very middle-ages...

Wow, it works exactly the way I suggested it could.   It looks for the impedance to stop changing.

Next, how to eliminate false positives.    I think using redundancy might help.  If there is an accelerometer on the toolhead then a weak signal for both at the same time would be a strong indication.   Think of this as a sensor fusion problem and do NOT use some kind of complex "if that then this unless that" logic.  Just multiply the probabilities and threshold the product.  This requires only some "very deterministic" math and only one "if" statement to apply the threshold, even if you are fusing 5 kinds of sensors.   Using the "multiply and threshold" method you can even use "dead-reconing" as one of the "sensors".   Dead reckoning is just saying "I command a collision from about X distance and about Y rate and I'd expect a collision about now."      

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

Yay!!!! Woot Woot.

My guess was right!

Finally 🤣

Quick! Print this page and show your wife! "See? A bunch of strangers on the internet said I'm right!"

• Haha 3