Voron based ToolChanger - 400x400x400mm AWD

20 hours ago, claudermilk said:

Looks like you have a lot of overextrusion on the top layer.

@claudermilk I agree 100%, and started going back through tuning on my 2.4R2 this week, while I have been home. Those were printed the last time I had more than 4 days home and I didn't feel it was enough to affect anything, plus they are under a big piece of aluminum.

It's amazing to see how you change one design into another and adjust as per what you have on hand.

I'll be honest and say I have lost the thread between where you were building the monolith and where you are now.

The most important is that you don't forget it. 

I know you don't have a lot of time and the time you have can be used to do more interesting things...

But can you maybe give an oversight image /cad of what you have already done and what needs still to be done?

If I have understood well, you have decided to use your own XY connection instead of theo monolith one. I don't know how and if it's going to work out well... But I'm sure you checked that 🙂

Posted (edited)

@Dirk

I can understand the confusion... I think I have thought through the design and modeled components more than anything else so far. Here is a quick summary, which is about as good as I can pull together today. My flight is at 8:45AM tomorrow morning. So, get a haircut, pack, all the usual pre-business trip BS.

Informal Design Inputs and Concept:
Voron Trident based Frame with dimensions based on 400x450x450mm
Gantry - Modified Monolith based AWD

XY Joint - deprecated Monolith Hexvort joints remixed/modified to move the linear rail to the bottom of the 2020 extrusion, resize to an MGN12H and fill the gap between the frame and X extrusion that was present for the side mounted rails of the original.
MGN12H everywhere but the top-rail mounted X axis. This needed to be an MGN9H to work with the Funssor E3D Cloned tool changer kit
Disassembled the tool changer and redesigned the top-rail mount and belt mounts to prevent the tool changer forcing the belt path to rise across the X Axis
Bed Mounting:
I have added 5mm thickness to the Z linear rail components and resized the interface for MGN12H. For the extrusions under the bed, I created the mounts above to use ball nuts instead of buying a kinematic kit or using the stock mount design. I have also added 25mm to the piece that goes from the extrusion to the Z rail components (the part the GE5C goes into) to make a total of 30mm of additional printed structure to account for 3/5ths of the extra Y travel. 

I currently believe I will be able to off-set the other 20mm in where I put the holes in the bed. If not, I will change the mounts above to attach to the side of the bed extrusions and cantilever them 20mm in the needed direction, which should be toward the back. This was done to help fit a 400x400 bed on a frame built for 400x450mm. I also flipped the bed carriages so they are pushing up instead of pulling up and added a thick 20mm spacer and top piece to support the extrusion from both sides. I have not posted this component yet, but I have them finished. (They are likely to be reprinted to spare @claudermilk's sensitivity to over-extrusion... 🤣)

I am going to use the two holes in the Monolith front stepper components to mount the extrusion needed to hold the tools not in use. I have to work on this part still. The way my brain works, I need to get it assembled so I can see and measure where the extrusion and tool holders need to be. I can visualize it, but until I get to where I can move the toolhead to the front and see how it will be positioned on the printer, I would be making a best guess.

Sorry, my CAD skills are getting better over time, but I am VERY rusty. I was proficient with AutoCAD about 30 years ago while I was in college to be an Architect. However, that was not the field I went into and well... unused skills fade quickly. Ironically, Architect is in my title at work, but its Cloud/Network/Computer related. I'll leave it at that. It's hard to explain what I do unless you are in the same segment of the Information Technology industry.

I would love to put together a full F3D file with everything as it should be, but the time needed will exceed my desire to produce that asset. I will stick everything in a Git repo at some point so others can use any of my ideas, but that is pretty low priority presently.

Little irony.. while typing this I received a notification to check in for my flight tomorrow.

Edited by cjkennedy72
  • Like 3