Jump to content

My first build / 3d printer


sleepster217

Recommended Posts

So I am looking for info looking at using the rapido 2 print head not sure if I should stick with the hf or go to the uhf advice would be appreciated 

 

And the controlers I was going to stick with pi5 8gb software advice would be appreciated was thinking klipper and octo print 

Control board was the Octopus Max ezy and doing can bus to ebb 2209 2040 with a knomi and the 12864 mini display 

Motors was going to use the ldo motors if any one has advice on any changes let me know thankyou in advance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sleepster217 said:

not sure if I should stick with the hf or go to the uhf

The UHF is longer, so you need to have a 8mm taller stealthburner. This also means your printing height is 8 mm less. But if you want the speed improvement, out of the top of my head 30/45 mm3/s vs 24/32mm3/s (without/with CHT nozzle), then you should chooses for the UHF. These volumetric speeds translate to printing speeds of  300 to 560 mm3/s printing speed. Which are speeds all realistically achievable with a voron 2.4. So up to you what you want, as long as you know the pres and cons. Personally? UHF.

 

1 hour ago, sleepster217 said:

pi5 8gb software advice would be appreciated was thinking klipper and octo print 

Vorons do not really very fast hardware. so a pi 3B+ is okay. Unless you need to run many cameras and require lots of bandwidth. software? you can think about that once you have everything running. 

 

1 hour ago, sleepster217 said:

Octopus Max ezy and doing can bus to ebb 2209 2040 with a knomi and the 12864 mini display 

Octopus Max EZ: ok.

BTT 2209 (2040) good choice.

12864: I would recommend something different, something with a touch screen interface and bigger. I have seen many others use the BTT 5 inch screen, mainly it has a slim cable-hdmi. But I bought another one, and still have to build it in (will post link in a bit). This big screen also allows you use klipperscreen.

1 hour ago, sleepster217 said:

Motors was going to use the ldo motors if any one has advice on any changes let me know thankyou in advance

Not an expert on these... my Fysetc kit came with some I-have-no-idea stepper motors, and they run perfectly fine. but on this forum everyone loves LDO and Moons motors. I would go read an article about it if you have doubts. 

 

 

Edited by Dirk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with @Dirk on klipperscreen, but I went with the Waveshare 4.3" DSI: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C65YH5R4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

As Dirk said, Pi 3B+ or 4 is plenty. I am running a 3B+ in my V0 and have no issues even with a pi cam and waveshare 2.8" over the DSI connections.

On Rapido 2, you can switch from UHF to HF (and vice versa) if you get a sock and nozzle of each type and a UHF meltzone nut or whatever it's called. You would also need to switch ducts and offests to go back and forth, but not too much work if you get one and want to try the other. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MrSprinklz said:

I agree with @Dirk on klipperscreen, but I went with the Waveshare 4.3" DSI: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C65YH5R4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

As Dirk said, Pi 3B+ or 4 is plenty. I am running a 3B+ in my V0 and have no issues even with a pi cam and waveshare 2.8" over the DSI connections.

On Rapido 2, you can switch from UHF to HF (and vice versa) if you get a sock and nozzle of each type and a UHF meltzone nut or whatever it's called. You would also need to switch ducts and offests to go back and forth, but not too much work if you get one and want to try the other. 

Ok thankyou for the information 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Dirk said:

You're welcome.

Have to do something with gathered information 😉

Here is a link to the RPi 5 inch touch screen with wide DSI cable: https://a.aliexpress.com/_Ezgdt3B

cost me like 20€s, while the BTT screen costs me 50€ https://a.aliexpress.com/_EIDPLQH

(I can buy an Android tablet for that money!)

First one is about 36 au second is like 52 au so I get ya point 

 

Is there a print file for the first to mount it 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is not such a big difference as I had. 

I still have mine in the to do list, so have not searched for a mod to incorporate into the skirt.

But I was expecting it would fit in any other 5 inch equivalent like the waveshare or btt ones on this site. But I will have to try it myself.

As soon as I get to it, I will definitely let you know 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/3/2024 at 5:50 PM, Dirk said:

I will check out these few mods

I did check them out, along with the 5 inch DSI touch screen I have mentioned above.

The quality of the screen I have bought is good. It is a great screen to use when directly connected to the Pi. It's funny... you really get the idea that you are on a PC with a mini screen. (and then you start looking for the keyboard and mouse 🙂 )

I have found that it fits especially the waveshare 5 inch mounts, but also the BTT 5 inch v2 mounts.

There are two differences between this screen I have and the waveshare/btt screens. There are 4 mounting screws on the back (actually to fix the RPi to, but in the mods ists not used or used to fix to the holder). These seem to be a bit less centered than the others, and this sometimes requires the mods to be adjusted.
Another thing is, that the waveshare and btt screens seem to have extra knobs/buttons/usb ports, which this one does not have.

I have printed these two designs out and will use them:

https://www.printables.com/model/621487-voron-5-inch-display-mount

https://github.com/VoronDesign/VoronUsers/tree/master/printer_mods/revnull/rpi_7in_display_mount

And while the latter is meant for a 7 inch screen, this one also fits. Because the screen is fixed centrally on the mount, it is a few centimeters bit off center. I like the fact that the screen is not in a static position and it is movable a bit.

It can even be used as a coffee cup holder.

 

If I were you, I would buy a BTT 5 inch screen, a bit more expensive in your case, but it has a HDMI output ( a cheaper cable that you do not have to purchase additionally, I purchased a 1m DSI (RPI) cable). The nice thing is, there are more than 1 ways to mount it to your Voron and no need to make an own mount.

 

I will post a few pictures as soon as I have printed and mounted it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Dirk said:

I did check them out, along with the 5 inch DSI touch screen I have mentioned above.

The quality of the screen I have bought is good. It is a great screen to use when directly connected to the Pi. It's funny... you really get the idea that you are on a PC with a mini screen. (and then you start looking for the keyboard and mouse 🙂 )

I have found that it fits especially the waveshare 5 inch mounts, but also the BTT 5 inch v2 mounts.

There are two differences between this screen I have and the waveshare/btt screens. There are 4 mounting screws on the back (actually to fix the RPi to, but in the mods ists not used or used to fix to the holder). These seem to be a bit less centered than the others, and this sometimes requires the mods to be adjusted.
Another thing is, that the waveshare and btt screens seem to have extra knobs/buttons/usb ports, which this one does not have.

I have printed these two designs out and will use them:

https://www.printables.com/model/621487-voron-5-inch-display-mount

https://github.com/VoronDesign/VoronUsers/tree/master/printer_mods/revnull/rpi_7in_display_mount

And while the latter is meant for a 7 inch screen, this one also fits. Because the screen is fixed centrally on the mount, it is a few centimeters bit off center. I like the fact that the screen is not in a static position and it is movable a bit.

It can even be used as a coffee cup holder.

If I were you, I would buy a BTT 5 inch screen, a bit more expensive in your case, but it has a HDMI output ( a cheaper cable that you do not have to purchase additionally, I purchased a 1m DSI (RPI) cable). The nice thing is, there are more than 1 ways to mount it to your Voron and no need to make an own mount.

I will post a few pictures as soon as I have printed and mounted it.

thankyou greatly appreciated 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/5/2024 at 5:47 AM, Dirk said:

you really get the idea that you are on a PC with a mini screen. (and then you start looking for the keyboard and mouse 🙂 )

What? You think you aren't? 😄 These little Pis are more powerful than the first big, chonky PCs I used to use.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, claudermilk said:

first big, chonky PCs I used to use.

Reminds me of that first commodore, our maths teacher brought to class... we found a big tv (a cupboard) a bunch of cables to connect to the right ports.. And we inserted a tape inside the commodore... It was a 'maths' practice tape... we were 2nd class secondary school and doing things like solving equations with two unknowns. 
It took the tape about 15 minutes to load... and then we got a slow pixel by pixel print of... 4 + 2 = ?

The first moonlander used computers comparable to a 8086, not? 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Dirk said:

Reminds me of that first commodore, our maths teacher brought to class... we found a big tv (a cupboard) a bunch of cables to connect to the right ports.. And we inserted a tape inside the commodore... It was a 'maths' practice tape... we were 2nd class secondary school and doing things like solving equations with two unknowns. 
It took the tape about 15 minutes to load... and then we got a slow pixel by pixel print of... 4 + 2 = ?

The first moonlander used computers comparable to a 8086, not? 🙂

A friend had the C64. My family had the TRS-80 Model I (I still have it in storage). I think the 8086 was probably more powerful than the first moon lander. And to think, the little pocket computers we all run around with today are so much more powerful than any of those. 🤯

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, claudermilk said:

A friend had the C64. My family had the TRS-80 Model I (I still have it in storage). I think the 8086 was probably more powerful than the first moon lander. And to think, the little pocket computers we all run around with today are so much more powerful than any of those. 🤯

yeah they are by a long way 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...