Beacon Probe - cloned already?

mvdveer

1 hour ago, Dirk said:

I remember a post you made on one of your v0s, 70 degree chamber temps with an EBB36 board, you installed a fan for it. Also not an option at nozzle level, but possible at the toolhead (sbb2040 and nite hawk)

I can highly recommend putting a fan on the EBB36 toolhead. I think mine suffered heat induced failure after I upgraded my extruder to an Orbiter v2.0 and fitted an EBB36. The Orbiter runs quite hot, this along with the combination of the extruder, the bed (105c) and the extruder (245c) caused something  to fail.

The extruder thermistor was indicating +260c. In the end I ran the thermistor wires to the mainboard (bypassing the EBB36) to clear the problem.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TitusADuxass said:

I can highly recommend putting a fan on the EBB36 toolhead

I have fans on all my toolheads. Have also lately found that I am getting MCU errors which I traced back to the raspi pi's. (Temps here in Australia up to 37C daily)  Am in the process of fitting ICE Tower cooling fans. On the two machines this has been done, the errors disappeared. (One machine had a beacon probe , the other a Klipper expander board - both connected through USB to the pi)

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, mvdveer said:

MCU errors which I traced back to the raspi pi's

That is annoying. Is your electronics compartment circulated well? I have installed 4 ventilators (I added an additional 2) below my 2.4 and with it the RPi & Octopus Pro MCU temperatures remain around 30 degrees, also when printing for 24 hours.

So it is a great design in the vorons, the compartmentalization. This also makes me think what we do with moving the CPU from the electronics bay to the toolhead (this is what we do by using CAN), is not a good step. Not when you are printing in a heated, closed chamber...
Now we are heating the chamber up, then putting a few chips that can not handle the heat, then put a ventilator on top of it... All the ventilators do, is re-circulate the hot air. 

I am thinking that putting these CAN toolhead boards in heated compartments is not a good idea...

That said... Today I finally flashed my Octopus and SB2209 CAN (RP2040) following the guide from Esoterical, which went without any problems. What an enormous amount of collected data on CAN... Hopefully I can use Cartographer tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dirk said:

Is your electronics compartment circulated well?

It is, but with this heat it is only pushing hot air around the electronics compartment.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, could someone Help me with my IDM config?

Section 'idm' is not a valid config section

ls /dev/serial/by-id/ usb-Klipper_stm32f446xx_400040000451303431333234-if00

#####################################################################
#   Probe
#####################################################################

[idm]

serial: /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Klipper_stm32f446xx_400040000451303431333234-if00
#   Path to the serial port for the idm device. Typically has the form
#   /dev/serial/by-id/usb-idm_idm_...

canbus_uuid:aefac8f729fa

44 minutes ago, Patator974 said:

Help me with my IDM config?

You have two serials defined under IDM. Should only have one. The first: 

45 minutes ago, Patator974 said:

serial: /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Klipper_stm32f446xx_400040000451303431333234-if00

Seems to be for an Octopus board with a STM32F446 chip. This should be defined under the [mcu] header

[mcu]
serial: /dev/serial/by-id/ usb-Klipper_stm32f446xx_400040000451303431333234-if00

And the IDM, if it is a Canbus 

[idm]
canbus_uuid:aefac8f729

So in summary, it should look like this:

[mcu]
serial: /dev/serial/by-id/ usb-Klipper_stm32f446xx_400040000451303431333234-if00
[idm]
canbus_UUID: aefac8f729

If this is in your printer.cfg file, then you should also comment it out:

ls /dev/serial/by-id/ usb-Klipper_stm32f446xx_400040000451303431333234-if00
TO:
# ls /dev/serial/by-id/ usb-Klipper_stm32f446xx_400040000451303431333234-if00

Hope this helps

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Patator974 said:

could someone Help me with my IDM config?

Hi,

You can follow the instructions @mvdveer gives. But I am afraid you will not get far without some kind of a guide.

IDM is the same probe as Cartographer, only it is meant for people on the Chinese mainland. So to the rest of the world, it will be sold without support.

What I can recommend you is this:

- remove all changes you made for installing IDM. Including scripts, directories on your printers Pi / linux system.

- go to the website of Cartographer: https://docs.cartographer3d.com/cartographer-probe/installation-and-setup/klipper-setup

- And follow all the steps, which will guide you through downloading the script/ software from the github (only select for gitee if you are from China), and setting up Moonraker.

Next go to the page: https://docs.cartographer3d.com/cartographer-probe/installation-and-setup/klipper-config/cartographer-with-input-shaping-v2-and-v3-hybrid

- there it will help you get your CANBUS ID for IDM / Cartographer and set your probe up further as a Cartographer probe.

It is all actually straight forward and that site is clear and structured. Just do not get confused with the separate options. 

Let us know how it goes and what you decide to do. 

• Like 3

Thanks a lot, I replace my IDM install with cartographer, followed the steps, installed the script, Commented my [PROBE] section, pasted the config file, but still I got the  "Option 'z_offset' in section 'probe' must be specified"

24 minutes ago, Patator974 said:

Option 'z_offset' in section

So... That means you didn't follow the manual.

Specifically the part where it says: 

if you are using an existing printer config, make sure you remove any previous reference to [cartographer] or [probe] in the saved section at the bottom. 

(In your case also [IDM] sections.

Please follow the document to the dot...

Good luck.

Edited by Dirk
  • Like 1

I did delete everything below the

#*# <---------------------- SAVE_CONFIG ---------------------->
#*# DO NOT EDIT THIS BLOCK OR BELOW. The contents are auto-generated.

and reference to IDM

It's try and fail for a noob like me.

I trying to delete in printer .cfg everything I already find in fly-shtv2.cfg

thanks

Edited by Patator974

You sound like you need real help in setting up your whole printer! 🙂

Maybe try doing things one by one.

If you have the possibility, set up your system up. Maybe even use an old sensor. Once you have your printer working and a working CAN network, you should add your IDM probe.

I am afraid I can not tell you where to start... But I do not recommend using the Mellow manual to set up your CAN network.

Use this one. Start from the first page (getting started) and follow until final steps are finished... To the letter. and dot.

Good luck!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Patator974 said:

Thanks a lot, I replace my IDM install with cartographer, followed the steps, installed the script, Commented my [PROBE] section, pasted the config file, but still I got the  "Option 'z_offset' in section 'probe' must be specified"

Just check to see if you do not have a line called [probe] in any of your .cfg files. If you have just comment this out #[probe]